Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those that pray, please pray for my friend.

Trickeration

Practically Family
A quick update

First of all, I want to say thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers, and kind words. Here's the little bit of news I have at this point.

Last Monday (Feb 27) I found out that Kirk had been awake for little bits of time for few days. First a few minutes here and there, then up to about an hour a day. He had also seemed to recognize a friend of the family who went to see him and squeezed her hand. On Tuesday there were plans to remove the respirator and see if he could breathe on his own. This would be a big step in progress and would also allow doctors to see if he's able to communicate.

This Friday, I got a short note from our friend Debbie saying only that he is on antibiotics for a lung infection. So please continue to pray for him. I'm not sure if he's breathing on his own or back on the respirator, but I'm hoping for more news in a few days.

In the long run, his family hopes to have him back in Southern California by the end of the month, if all goes well. However they're still looking into what hospital would be best for him here while also being close to family. And once he is here, friends are planning to take shifts staying at the hospital with him so his family can rest, as they've been pretty much living at the hospital in Nevada since the accident.

Again, his friends and family, and my family, all thank you so much for your support. Hopefully, Kirk will be part of the Lounge someday and get to meet many of you. I'll post more when I hear it. Thanks and God bless. Teresa

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm glad to hear that Kirk's improving, and would like you to know that you, Kirk, and both your families are in my thoughts as well.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Another update

Hi,
Just thought I'd fill you in on the latest news about Kirk. For starters, I just learned that during the accident Kirk was knocked out, but had regained conciousness and was talking to hospital staff saying he felt fine and wanted to get back to the slopes. Then the bleeding in his brain caused him to pass out again and go nto a coma.

2 weeks ago, he had a second surgery related to the lung infection. After that there was an infection related to the feeding tube.

Last Saturday, I was told he had just flown back to L.A. and is now in an acute care facility. He's no longer connected to any tubes, but as yet cannot communicate. So they're still not sure of the extent of the damage. He also has no movement at all in his right side. It's kind of similar to if he'd had a stroke. Overall, he's had small improvements in his general health. I'll see Debbie on Monday, and hope to hear more news.

Thank you for your continued prayer and support. Trix

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
So sorry about what happened Trix..it always feel like a punch in the stomach whenever something like this happens to someone we know or love.
Me and the family will also support you in our prayers. May God's peace be with you all

Naama

Practically Family
Oh my, I hope this will get better as soon as possible. My thought's and prayers go out to him!

Naama

Trickeration

Practically Family
Todays news

You guys have all been just wonderful in your prayers and support, and I truly thank you. The other day, I was told Kirk was still improving, and here's a little bit of the email I got from Debbie tonight.

"he can communicate via signals for brief moments of time. His brain hemmorage has left him without use of one eye, and the ventilators (which they are weaning him off of ) make him unable to talk. There are pictures for you to use to ask questions, and he will recognize you. Visit when it is good, daytimes are best."

Things are moving quite slowly, but with a brain injury, I know there's a lot of wait and see involved. Still, he is able to recognize people, and to see and respond to things. All good signs. I hope to visit him soon.

I'll keep you posted Kirk's condition, and thanks again and again for your all your kindness. Trix

Irena

One of the Regulars
I'm so glad that your friend is improving.

My prayers are still with you, your family, and friends.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Good to hear he can recognize people.

One of the most harrowing moment I had seen in my life was when they were taking time to ween my mother off the ventilator following a surgery. The lungs slowly get back into the practice of breathing on their own.

May he get well soon.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the update - I'm glad it's good news. The brain has a remarkable ability to heal itself and reroute signals around damaged areas, but it's a long, slow process, with good days and bad. Take it as it comes and pace yourself. I'm remembering your friend as well as you in my thoughts and prayers.

Mr Nick

New in Town
Prayers for him, family and you

I also will lift him and his family as well as you up inmy prayers. We don't always know why things happen as they do. May God bring healing and comfort to all of you and Glory to Himself through this terrible accident.

Trickeration

Practically Family
UPDATE!

Is this picture great or what!! This came tonight, with a note saying Kirk's made great strides. Literally. He has just started working on walking over the last couple of days. This a huge improvement that's come about over just the last 2 weeks. Especially since right after my last post Kirk had had a small stroke.

Kirk still has a long way to go, but he's fighter. I think he'll make it okay now. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. Right now, I don't think he could quite take it all in, but once he can, it will be great to tell him about how the Lounge was so supportive and just wonderful.
kirk3nn.jpg
Thank you all. Trix

Trickeration

Practically Family
Dancing with a miracle

I finally got to see Kirk last night. :) :) :) My husband and I got to his room and 7:30pm and as soon as he saw us he got a big smile on his face and slowly said "Wow, Wyman" which is our last name. He couldn't remember all about us, but knew we were his friends and did remember when he used to work with Rob over a year ago, and the name of the company.

Another dancer friend of ours was there last night, along with a couple form Kirk's church. Tim (from his church) had seen him about a week ago, and said that last night he saw so much improvement from just last week. Kirk talked up a storm, and is aware of where he's at right now. His thoughts are still pretty simple, but he knows he's had a brush with death or with living a life lying bed helpless. He's very greatful and sends his thanks to all who have been praying and rooting for him.

Our visit was great, and the best part is what you'll see in the video clip below. My husband was so stunned, that he had to grab the camera and record, and everyone else took pictures like crazy. I was amazed myself. When the music came on, Kirk was back. He even said afterward that the song was a bit slower than he would have liked. It's awesome. Just 2 weeks ago, Kirk was using a walker and taking steps for the first time since the accident.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Yb-d-bq3TQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Yb-d-bq3TQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Trix and family, and Kirk.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's very good news. I hope he is well on the road to recovery. I will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe