Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Townend & Co bowler hat...

jferro

New in Town
Hello,

I'm new to Fedora Lounge and I have a question about a specific bowler I recently obtained. It was made by Thomas Townend & Co (British). It's somewhat stiff, but not like my Christys', Lock & Co, and Herbert Johnson. Does anyone know anything about Thomas Townend & Co? I can't really find much online. Also, I'm assuming it's not super stiff because it was probably made during a time when shellac was scarce. I do love the short crown and the brim curl. In addition, it's fuzzy and has that salt and pepper look like a Lock & Co.
thomas1.jpg
thomas2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see many longer hair Bowlers. I don't have any info on the maker but someone might. I would take a closer sharper photo of the liner logo. Also a photo of the sweatband logo. I would also check for a paper label behind the sweat at the rear of the hat and take a photo.

jferro

New in Town
mayserwegener,

There's no stamp on the sweatband and I looked under the sweatband and found nothing. I normally do this because you'll find at least a piece of paper stating hat size, color, etc.

First impression, not very old, mostly because of the shape of the front/back of the brim - most of the older ones i've come across are much flatter, with little of no curl, but extreme curl at the sides. Whereas newer ones tend to have the all-around consistent curl.

BUT, the little paper label at the back of the sweatband is interesting. That kind of label I would mostly associate with quite old hats.

bk

jferro

New in Town
First impression, not very old, mostly because of the shape of the front/back of the brim - most of the older ones i've come across are much flatter, with little of no curl, but extreme curl at the sides. Whereas newer ones tend to have the all-around consistent curl.

BUT, the little paper label at the back of the sweatband is interesting. That kind of label I would mostly associate with quite old hats.

bk

Baron,

It's hard to tell from the top photo, but the front and back of brim has no curl. It's pretty much flat.

You're right, that is hard to tell. In that case, with that paper tag and the depth and colour of the sweatband, my date prediction drops earlier into the C20th.

Could you take a photo from this angle? (sorry to the member who took this pic, I don't remember who it was, but I steal it anyway!)

3332515715_b9f1a81b5e.jpg

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Hello,
I own several bowlers as well, from different manufacturers. Not all bowlers are super stiff, many were made lighter-weight and summer weight without shellack shortages being the reason. Modern Christys are quite a bit heavier and stiffer than older ones, while Lock's bowlers have become far softer and lighter weight than the older ones (they've also largely lost the sharp brim curl and salt-and-pepper long-hair look they used to have). Dunn Co. bowlers were pretty consistently made of smooth, relatively soft, lightweight felt.

I searched around and found a few things. There's info on the factory and store locations here http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/USA-b...ar/ats-senior-controllers-officers-cap-12190/ (about halfway down) "The maker, Thomas Townend & Co Ltd had a factory in Atherstone, Warwickshire and had retail three outlet shops in central London: 16 Lime Street, 14 Fenchurch Street, and 110 Oxford Street."

And then there's this:
T.%2BTownend%2BReceipt.jpg

From here: http://cosgb.blogspot.ca/2012/01/thomas-townend-co.html

jferro

New in Town
That's interesting. Thanks for the post! I wonder when the company went under. As far as bowlers, my Christys', Lock & Co and Herbert Johnson are stiff as a brick. However, I have a Dunn & Co that's not at all stiff and is even vented at the top of the crown. I actually have the Herbert Johnson for sale on eBay. It has a hunting pad inside it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe