Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
A small collection of Hoovers.

It took a while to get to post these Hoovers but here they are.

I only have the 5 due to room size constraints.
I did have, 2- Model 450s, 2- other Model 700s, 1-Model 150, 1-Model 25, 1-Model 300 1-Model 725 and another 28. I also had a beautiful Kirby 512. Not with the original bag or I would not have sold it.

Sold them all on eBay. Always wanted the commercial 925 and the 305.
The ones pictured run well. The 700 has a slight whining or screetching noise which I was told is common for the 725s and 700s. Any experts out there please advise me.

I still love the 700 you have and the bag looks great with it. The badges are different and the handle on mine doesn't have the silver edging on it. It's all black.

Thank you!

BD

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
You're welcome.
More than my "fair share" of trial and error!

Glad you like them.

Again, how do I upload a pic to the side of the posts as I see so many
have done?

BD

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Nice little collection there!

It's interesting the differences your 700 has posed to mine. Most 700's I've seen have the orange and black badge and such. Also, from what I understand, the 700 model from 1926-1928 had the scissor bag bracket. I'm looking for one of those for my 700. I wonder if your 700 is made in for a different market than the US. The black and silver badge (or black and brass can't really tell) to me is uncommon to my knowledge. There are many different variations I'm noticing with the Hoover 700 models. In all the magazine ads I see display the orange and black color combo. And once in a while I'll see a different color combo especially with the Hoover "Special" lines.

I believe that your 700 could be a commercial model used for small offices and such. I know Hoover did have a different color palette for their commercial models. I could be wrong though.

That 750 you have is a swell machine. My friend in Pomona has that model too... he doesn't have the correct back as yours does. It's so funny how it looks as if Hoover just decided they wanted a light on there after the final model was made... as if the pres. said: You know what this is missing? A head-light... and then the board of directors all agreed and then after the meeting they saw what came of it and then in years to shortly fallow a little more thought went into the light fixture design on the motors. lol

super collection, Hoover's have become my favorite cleaners... well, the old ones are anyway.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
bobbydavis said:
Again, how do I upload a pic to the side of the posts as I see so many
have done?

BD

Simply go to "Private Messages"
Click "Edit Avatar"
Check "Use Custom Avatar"
Click "Choose File" and pick one from your computer within the posted size limits.

Done!

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the upload info again.

I was going to post the photo Miss D signed but decided not to.
She was a regular at my restaurant in the late 70s in Westport, CT.

Yes your 700 is routed on the opposite side. You would know better that I.
Mine was made in North Canton, OH, not in Canada or England. I've posted a close-up of the badge. It's black and brass.
I had a 700 w/ the scissor bag. The bag was brown with a large "H" and vertical stripes. Sold it with the vacuum.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
2010_04260003.jpg
[/IMG]

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Just posting some pics of various Hoovers.

I have hundreds of pics and advertisement photos.

That's it for now. I don't want to get carried away.

BD

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
bobbydavis said:

I figured it was brass! Most of them were. I have seen one other cleaner on ebay with this type of badge. When I saw it, it puzzled me some since most of the ones I've seen were somewhat different. All my machines say they were made in Ohio too... but, I'd sure like to know about the different badges they put on their machines if they meant anything. Maybe the original badge was replaced at some point later on... I know Hoover did rebuild/recondition old cleaners in the 50s and 60s. Maybe the original badge was too worn down and they put another badge on it? Who knows for sure... these things have worked many years and have been repaired and such... never can know the real story.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Also, FM, the wire is routed on the opposite side from mine on this 700. Yours?

Yes, if you're looking head on, the motor cord comes out from the left rear and comes up the left side of the fork. From the earlier ads I've seen, it would appear that ours are from 1926. In ads I've seen in years to fallow, the motor cord switches sides.

Little details... how interesting.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
What happened to this thread? Why no one wanna play no more? lol

Made a friend with a guy last night at a party who collects old electric appliances and he mentioned old vacuum cleaners... we talked about Hoovers... I guess there are more of us out there that really appreciate old vacuums of the 20s and 30s.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Of course I wanna play!

I really haven't been in The Fedora Lounge much lately.

I thought that I was posting too many pics and didn't want to "wear out my welcome".

So here I am. I'll be on later tonight. Around 11pm or after.

BD

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ok, let's get one thing straight... you can never post enough photos of old cleaners, or old stuff... and sharing your passion for old stuff is quite ok. Especially if it's photos like that one you just posted! WOW! I love that shot, that's so neat to see that house wife with that hoover! I can't recall what model that one is... darn it... I know I've seen it before but, can't recall what the model number is!

I started this thread and give you full picture posting rights!

Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe