Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

St. Louis

Practically Family
I'm still working on the Walter Winchell vs. Ed Sullivan thing from a few pages back. I couldn't answer it so I left it alone, but it's been bugging me ever since. Walter Winchell would be a more fascinating dinner companion, but I'd be sick with fear for weeks going over the conversation & trying to remember what I had said that he could use against me. Sullivan would be sweeter but perhaps a bit tiresome after twenty minutes.

Schiaparelli or Vionnet? (One for the ladies.)

I'm still working on the Walter Winchell vs. Ed Sullivan thing from a few pages back. I couldn't answer it so I left it alone, but it's been bugging me ever since. Walter Winchell would be a more fascinating dinner companion, but I'd be sick with fear for weeks going over the conversation & trying to remember what I had said that he could use against me. Sullivan would be sweeter but perhaps a bit tiresome after twenty minutes.

Schiaparelli made men's ties too you know. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender

I'm actually kind of a Winchell fan myself. He got frustrated and out-of-touch in the postwar era, and took some stupid stands as a result, but in his prime, the thirties and early forties, he was on the noble side of many issues -- and was one of the cleverest newspaper writers who ever lived besides. It's not for nothing that Philip Roth made him a heroic figure in "The Plot Against America." Sullivan, on the other hand, was a mook, and deep down even he knew it. He didn't even write well.

Vionnet, definitely. I get the same feeling from Schiaparelli that I do from Dali: they were putting everyone on, knowing that nobody wanted to be the one to stand up and say "OH COME OFF IT."

Sears and Roebuck or Monkey Ward's?

Last edited:
Parker or Waterman fountain pens?

Parker :p:D

parker.jpg

Hostess (the Late Lamented) or Little Debbie?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe