Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Thats great looking work! I build and install doors for a living. From industrial, commercial, and historic. Wood, steel, and aluminum. Need a job? [emoji14]

Sunbeam door?
ad9fa2acd67659038707b478774c0b26.jpg

Rainbow door?
d06df8d19054384504cff58d6568f88d--old-screen-doors-door-ideas.jpg

What type of paint/material was used to apply the image to the
wire/metal screen?
thanks!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Thats great looking work! I build and install doors for a living. From industrial, commercial, and historic. Wood, steel, and aluminum. Need a job? [emoji14]
Thanks, but you'd doubtless find me to be glacially slow.

Those doors and their woodwork were made of old growth poplar (just like the original woodwork in the old part of the house). Glueless construction, mortise and tenion, held together with whittled square oak pegs. The cyma moldings and the raised panels for the doors were made with molding planes. Salvaged period hinges.

I am looking for a couple of matching rim latches do that I can replace the modern ILCO units, which are of rather poor quality.

These days I play in the mud...

Thanks, but you'd doubtless find me to be glacially slow.

Those doors and their woodwork were made of old growth poplar (just like the original woodwork in the old part of the house). Glueless construction, mortise and tenion, held together with whittled square oak pegs. The cyma moldings and the raised panels for the doors were made with molding planes. Salvaged period hinges.

I am looking for a couple of matching rim latches do that I can replace the modern ILCO units, which are of rather poor quality.

These days I play in the mud...
Who doesnt like to play in the mud? One of my favorite past times :D

Great work on the doors and trim by the way. Sadly, Its a dying art.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Who doesnt like to play in the mud? One of my favorite past times :D

Great work on the doors and trim by the way. Sadly, Its a dying art.

Thanks.

As far as the mud is concerned, every day I thank Heaven for Mikey, my operating engineer, who can write poetry with his backhoe. Have to start work on a subsurface constructed wetland for secondary waste treatment tomorrow.

Thanks.

As far as the mud is concerned, every day I thank Heaven for Mikey, my operating engineer, who can write poetry with his backhoe. Have to start work on a subsurface constructed wetland for secondary waste treatment tomorrow.
That sounds important. And I love operating a backhoe. Grew up using one. Fun fun!!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
We got carried away [emoji14]

I have a Rainbow door from the past, screen needs to be worked on.
I can buy screen replacement.
I can do the art work...but have no idea what material paint was used
that would adhere the way it was done in the past.

Working with manual hand tools or power tools?

Last edited:
I have a Rainbow door from the past, screen needs to be worked on.
I can buy the screen.
I can do the art work...but have no idea what material paint was used
so that I can finish the work.

Working with old manual hand tools or modern gizmo's ?
Well, thats hard. I use both. There is no substitution for some of the newer tools.

In my line of work, and working on the three cars, I have to say newer tools make it a heck of a lot easier. So, newer tools it is. (Not Chinese or important, though. Learned my lesson a few times)

Chuck Barry or Charlie Pride?

Bo, while Lewis is talented, he made it too much about him. Diddley is the super real deal.

Lynyrd* Skynyrd or The Allman Brothers Band?

*The weirdness of this word's spelling only becomes obvious when you actually try to spell it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'd be willing to bet that those types of screen doors were done with some sort of silkscreen. I'd very much doubt that those standardized logos would have been mass-produced by hand.

My very first job when I finished high school was working at a commercial arts
shop.
At the time huge billboards on the streets
were very popular.
So was silk-screening for different projects. All applications done by hand
since it was a local shop.

I have done silk-screening at home and can duplicate a design.

I'm just baffled at what material was used to fill in the screen holes so that the paint will adhere or cover up where the
design has been inprinted. Being from the 50s, my guess on the paint being enamel, just not sure what was used to
fill in the gaps!
E092AD19-C338-47FC-93DE-0A6ACDBA8620.jpeg

Thank you for your input Lizzie.

I will continue in another thread
and leave this for the intended
purpose it was meant for.

Joe Walsh or Frank Zappa?

Joe Walsh.

Oil or watercolor paintings?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads