Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Nobert

Practically Family
Schlessinger, just because he produced better anecdotes from Chuck Jones.

Bill Mauldin or Thomas Nast?

(This is really getting esoteric, and I promise this is the last one I'll do in the vein for those who have no clue of whom I speak.)

Palooka, boxing over hillbillies (and, I assume, it's where we get the word "Palookaville" from).

(my apologies if this one has been done, don't remember it being done, but can't believe we've missed it) "Brady Bunch" or "Partridge Family?"

JimWagner

Practically Family
Schlessinger, just because he produced better anecdotes from Chuck Jones.

Bill Mauldin or Thomas Nast?

(This is really getting esoteric, and I promise this is the last one I'll do in the vein for those who have no clue of whom I speak.)

Bill Mauldin's book, Up Front, is one of my all time favorites and one of the books that survived my space reclaiming book purge a couple of years ago.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I give up, tired of being past over!
No threats necessary, old jacket of course!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Miss Budweiser or Miss Pay 'n Pak?

I think that your question may have been passed over because it is utterly lost within the lines of dashes. When your post is displayed it appears that the dashed lines are the end of it, and the words "Miss Budweiser or Miss Pay 'n Pak" are utterly lost, particularly when viewed on a mobile device.

I cannot properly answer your question, as zi am unfamiliar with either lady, though I would tend to prefer the representative of a supermarket to a beer girl, unless of course she is Miss Olde Frothingslosh, so, "Miss Pay 'n Pak" it is.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
OH, I see. The two girls are Hydroplane boats. Forgive my ignorance, but of course they are a bit after my time...

1980's boats?

Guy Lombardo would have liked them had he lived, I suppose.

McCormack or Hearst?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's like choosing between pellagra and dysentery. But if I had to choose, Hearst -- although both of them had egos as big as all outdoors, at least Hearst didn't call any of his mackerel bathrobes "The World's Greatest Newspaper."

Walter Winchell or Ed Sullivan?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think that your question may have been passed over because it is utterly lost within the lines of dashes. When your post is displayed it appears that the dashed lines are the end of it, and the words "Miss Budweiser or Miss Pay 'n Pak" are utterly lost, particularly when viewed on a mobile device.

I cannot properly answer your question, as zi am unfamiliar with either lady, though I would tend to prefer the representative of a supermarket to a beer girl, unless of course she is Miss Olde Frothingslosh, so, "Miss Pay 'n Pak" it is.

I was waiting for someone to mention Miss Rheingold.

That's like choosing between pellagra and dysentery. But if I had to choose, Hearst -- although both of them had egos as big as all outdoors, at least Hearst didn't call any of his mackerel bathrobes "The World's Greatest Newspaper."

Walter Winchell or Ed Sullivan?

Walter Winchell - probably because I discovered him by backing up from "The Sweet Smell of Success" when I learned the Winchell was the inspiration for J.J. Hunsecker. Had a lot of power for his day.

Hedda Hopper or Louella Parsons?

The Merlin sounds better, but the Allison is more durable! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rolls Royce Merlin or Griffin?

Afraid I ain't sufficiently knowledgable to have an opinion worth anything.

Unlimited hydroplane racing just ain't the same anymore, now that they use turbines instead of WWII-era piston aircraft engines. On the plus side, it's much, much less deadly than it was. And the boats themselves are much improved over their predecessors.

But the fan interest isn't nearly what it was 40, 50, 60 years ago. The drivers' names are unfamiliar, even in Seattle and Detroit, the historic Meccas of the sport. And major sponsors are all but nonexistent.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Parsons. Louella was a pestilence, but Hedda was a plague.

Dorothy Kilgallen or Arlene Francis?
Francis, though as a native Clevelander I greatly appreciate the national attention that Mrs. Kilgallen brought to the gross miscarriage of justice that was the Sam Shepard murder case.

The Mad Russian or Mrs. Nussbaum?

OH, I see. The two girls are Hydroplane boats. Forgive my ignorance, but of course they are a bit after my time...

1980's boats?

More like early 1970s. Miss Budweiser was sponsored by (duh!) that big beer brewing company. The Pride of Pay 'n' Pak (not Miss ... ) wore the colors of a since-defunct Seattle-based chain of home improvement big box stores, way back before they were called home improvement big box stores.

Both teams raced under those names a good while longer (Pak last raced in the early 1980s, and Bud in 2004, I think.) But among the unlimited hydroplane aficionados, "Pak and Bud" invokes the highly competitive races between those two camps in the early '70s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Francis, though as a native Clevelander I greatly appreciate the national attention that Mrs. Kilgallen brought to the gross miscarriage of justice that was the Sam Shepard murder case.

The Mad Russian or Mrs. Nussbaum?

Mrs N. Minnie Pious was the greatest female dialectician ever to work in radio, and I wish I'd had the chance to know her. The shop we could've talked.

Senator Claghorn or Titus Moody?

Nobert

Practically Family
Bill Mauldin's book, Up Front, is one of my all time favorites and one of the books that survived my space reclaiming book purge a couple of years ago.

If you have the space, may I also recommend Back Home, a lynchpin of my own sociopolitical outlook, and maybe A Sort of a
Saga
and The Brass Ring.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled online forum game, already in progress.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Mrs N. Minnie Pious was the greatest female dialectician ever to work in radio, and I wish I'd had the chance to know her. The shop we could've talked.

Senator Claghorn or Titus Moody?
Titus Moody. The Michigan county in which I live is infested with would-be Claghorns, and the schtick wears thin rather quickly.

Gene and Glenn or Vic and Sadie?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Rolls Royce Merlin.
Last summer, at a risqué, burlesque inspired, forties event, where we were all dressed up in period attire, one young lady came along in an airforce blue corset and shorts. The corset was covered in RAF roundels and other regalia, the bra part of the corset was conical in shape, similar to the bullet bra that Madonna wore. On the pointed ends of that bra were a pair of tassels and just underneath was a name tag that read: "Merlins."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust