Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Not necessarily a character reference but it shows you can follow directions long enough to get a degree. ;) :p I was actually told that once by an employer. :rolleyes:

This is interesting. I had a similar conversation with a coworker of mine at a former job. I was discussing my difficulty finding "my niche" since graduating in 2008. Along without discussion of where I'd like to go with my career in criminology and investigations, my coworker brought up the FBI, and the special agents. I explained that when I talked to the FBI, they wanted at least three years of full time work experience regardless of any degrees obtained. Until graduation, I hadn't started working full time, but in my mind, had a pretty decent entry level amount of work experience in my field at the part time level (roughly two years of private security experience plus four years of part time private investigations experience resulting in my own license).

Additionally, I commented to my coworker that I felt a degree should count for something, as it takes years to obtain and shows dedication. My coworker sort of waved the degree off and said depending on where you go to school, you can drag yourself out of bed and head to class in pajamas, so his argument was that it doesn't really show any sort of work ethic.

I guess I disagree with that. I know some college students go to class looking like they're ready for bed, but surely the ones that are dedicated and pass their classes and finish know they'll have to start dressing professionally and "looking professional" once they enter the work world. A degree has to count for something. It's just weird that some employers focus on the degree, and others focus on the practical experience.

Pompidou

One Too Many
MikeBravo said:
A famous entrepreneur once said

"I wouldn't have gotten where I am today if I didn't employ graduates"

I'm not famous yet, but I believe the ideal company is a balance of experienced veterans and degreed newcomers. Only the former, and you stagnate. Only the latter and you have to discover the pros and cons of your theories the hard way. There's room in any good company for both. I'm trying this approach for my cafe. One partner with a degree, one partner with years of hard experience.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
Pompidou said:
...I believe the ideal company is a balance of experienced veterans and degreed newcomers. Only the former, and you stagnate.

That is what happened where I work, so many twenty year veterans that knew the business inside and out, but had nothing new to offer and would reference things from 1995. After I came here I wanted to start wearing a t-shirt that read "That's the way we've always done it" I heard that so many times.

Pompidou

One Too Many
JimWagner said:
And I cannot tell you how many times I've watched wheels reinvented by the inexperienced. Mistakes and all.

Definitely - both types are needed. It's perfect because they challenge each other and everyone wins. The concept of "getting a fresh set of eyes on a problem" is probably the one thing I took away from my last job. You can't afford the time to reinvent the wheel for every problem, but the only way to break out of plateaus is to look at things from a neutral perspective for opportunities. Vets get things done quickly and efficiently. Newbies right out of college with their book theories and whatnot can see what eyes beset by routine can't. It's almost like proofreading a paper. When I proofread my own, I read what I think I wrote. Let someone else read it, or read it out loud, and that's when I finally notice mistakes. Normally, I have to let a paper sit dormant for a few days, before proofreading will do any good. That's my take.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's probably pretty accurate. There's not much incentive to go entrepreneur, with all the risk and hassle, when you've got a world of high paying jobs knocking down your door. Necessity is the mother of invention. The C student has to improvise.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Coincidentally, my local news station posted blogish story today that is relevant to this discussion. I typically don't read these fluff article (and I wish they'd get rid of them) but seeing as it was in line with what we were discussing, I browsed over it. :rolleyes:

5 Reasons Not To Go To College

Quoting the article:
1. Most Jobs Don't Require It
2. Youth Wasted
3. Don't Go Unless You Really Want To
4. Money, Money, Money
5. You Don't Have To Go To College To Be Educated

Like I said, it's blogish, but it's a quick read.

Foofoogal

Banned
Interesting read.

I don't know. When you put it that way it is a bit odd.

I surely would not want colleges to disappear and I would also be concerned about a dumbing down vibe for lack of better phrase.

Both ways are necessary IMHO.

1961MJS

Hi

I found this today:

"At the University of Illinois, a state school, the annual tuition of $13,658 is six times that of 1980. These numbers are all adjusted for inflation and don't include room and board." lol

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar..._corvettes_cost_less_than_college_107241.html

My numbers didn't adjust for inflation, AND last year the neighbor kid said $11,000. I know the price went up though.

I don't contribute to my alma mater, neither do my parents. "They're wasting enough money as it is."

Later

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
I don't contribute to my alma mater, neither do my parents. "They're wasting enough money as it is."
Later

I can relate to this. I have great admiration for my alma mater, and immensely enjoyed my school years, though I really dislike the current administration at my alma mater and where they have chosen to put the money. Their football coach is, for lack of a better word, a creep, who can't seem to do anything other than run the team into the ground and get himself written about in the paper for hitting people and getting into fights in bars; and he gets paid in the millions. :eusa_doh:

On top of that, the current president of the university brought in more vice presidents than any university needs, and pays them astronomically to simply do nothing. This leaves salaries for the teachers, not to mention the maintenance and university law enforcement in a bind.

Simply put: if I were to contribute, I'd want my donation to go where it really matters.

Undertow

ScionPI2005 said:
...Their football coach is, for lack of a better word, a creep, who can't seem to do anything other than run the team into the ground and get himself written about in the paper for hitting people and getting into fights in bars; and he gets paid in the millions. :eusa_doh: ...

Argh! :rage:

This is another issue I have with universities. Courses and teachers are being cut across the board, to the point of near collapse - all the while tuition + room/board are rising. The justification? We can't afford those addtional courses, we can't afford to offer these particular specialties anymore, we can't afford these teachers, we need bigger classes, we need more online material, etc.

But all the while salaries are rising and football programs are bleeding the system dry. There's nothing wrong with a university president living comfortably, but millions of dollars? And football programs being saved over BA programs? Ridiculous.

I say cut sports altogether and let the kids play on their own time with volunteer coaches.

Then again, perhaps this provides testament to which basket our society is comfortable dropping its eggs. Why go to a school that offers an excellent education when you could go to a party school with a cool football program? Shameful.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Then again, perhaps this provides testament to which basket our society is comfortable dropping its eggs. Why go to a school that offers an excellent education when you could go to a party school with a cool football program? Shameful.

Heh.. :eek:fftopic:

I went to a state school that decided to invest its sports funding where it would be the most use. Rather then continue to fund a mediocre football squad, they discontinued it in 1992 and invested in other sports that more of the very beach oriented students would excel at like water polo, swimming, etc.

They also have a national championship level soccer team.

Probably money way better spent...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Argh! :rage:

This is another issue I have with universities. Courses and teachers are being cut across the board, to the point of near collapse - all the while tuition + room/board are rising. The justification? We can't afford those addtional courses, we can't afford to offer these particular specialties anymore, we can't afford these teachers, we need bigger classes, we need more online material, etc.

But all the while salaries are rising and football programs are bleeding the system dry. There's nothing wrong with a university president living comfortably, but millions of dollars? And football programs being saved over BA programs? Ridiculous.

I say cut sports altogether and let the kids play on their own time with volunteer coaches.

This bothers me, too. A museum studies program at my local university (University of Nebraska-Lincoln) was cut - a program that barely cost anything. Yet the football coach gets paid millions, and the players are revered as celebrities.

On the other hand, here in Nebraska, our university football team is the closest thing we have to any kind of national sports team. Husker football ties in very closely with our economic and tourism aspects, too. They say we have some of the best fans in college football in the nation. We hold the NCAA record for sellouts for home games - 304 and counting. It's an entire experience here on game day and, having been to one of the games, one that I enjoy. Practically the whole state shuts down for a game day. It's fun - yet it's kind of sad, too.

So I'm a bit split on this issue. I would much rather see a lot of the money for our football program go to academic programs. Yet the state itself depends on the football program for economic reasons.

A bit of a catch-22, I guess.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
This bothers me, too. A museum studies program at my local university (University of Nebraska-Lincoln) was cut - a program that barely cost anything. Yet the football coach gets paid millions, and the players are revered as celebrities.

On the other hand, here in Nebraska, our university football team is the closest thing we have to any kind of national sports team. Husker football ties in very closely with our economic and tourism aspects, too. They say we have some of the best fans in college football in the nation. We hold the NCAA record for sellouts for home games - 304 and counting. It's an entire experience here on game day and, having been to one of the games, one that I enjoy. Practically the whole state shuts down for a game day. It's fun - yet it's kind of sad, too.

So I'm a bit split on this issue. I would much rather see a lot of the money for our football program go to academic programs. Yet the state itself depends on the football program for economic reasons.

A bit of a catch-22, I guess.

Doesn't your football program actually generate a huge profit ? The one at my alma mater (U. of Georgia) does, and a good chunk o'change is used to run the non-revenue sports and some even goes into the academic coffers.

If you mean to denounce generally that false God, Sports Culture , that would be another kettle of fish, and I would be in agreement. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the solution to the sports revenue problem is simple -- let's admit they're profit making, professional athletic enterprises, and operate them as such. The notion that college football and basketball are in any way anything but minor-league feeder systems for the NFL and NBA is ridiculous. Major League baseball subsidizes its minor league system, which operates as a series of professional leagues. Why should football and basketball be any different? Let the NFL and NBA pay stipends to the colleges to support the sports programs, pay the coaches and staff out of league funds, and take the whole thing right off the back of the schools.

And then colleges can get back to what they're supposed to do, without the obscene price-gouging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld