Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

garzo

One of the Regulars
A question for the Barnstormer owners or soon-to-be owners, did you order your regular size or go down a size?

I was looking at an Aero Rallye coat and they say the coats are cut larger to wear over a jacket and if one intends to wear them as a jacket, simply over a shirt, then to go down. Did you guys do that as well?

Seeing as how Aeros always seem to fit me snug, I'd probably go with my regular size.

Great coat you got their Salv. Love the color.

Salv

One Too Many
My chest is an actual 43" but I bought an Aero size 44 as I wanted it roomy enough to allow me to wear a jumper. Since I hardly ever need to wear a jumper under it I sometimes wish I'd gone for a size 42.

And I agree garzo, it's a beautful colour.

garzo

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I'm a 44" chest, and can wear a jacket under my 44" Barnstormer quite happily.[/QUOTE]

Doc, you say you can wear a jacket under your 44 Barnstormer -- but does it also fit fine if you just wear a t-shirt or regular shirt?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Hang on, I'll check...

Yes: I just cinch the belt a little tighter.

Although I didn't buy this coat to wear with a shirt. If I want a leather jacket with a shirt I wear my Eastman Luftwaffe jacket, my Barnstormer is for wear with a jacket or woolly pully underneath.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Well, Friday came and went without a jacket being delivered. :mad:

My girlfriend phoned them yesterday, late afternoon, after waiting in all day and it hadn't been picked up as agreed from the post office. It looks like I'll be yomping it over the other side of town this morning, hopefully it's still there!

MJCR

One of the Regulars
It's here! It was still at the Post Office so after dragging it back I was rewarded with a perfectly fitting Brown FQHH Barnstormer!

It has got some slightly annoying creases in it from being folded into a box for over a week, but I guess it's all part of the breaking in process...

The leather is a rich brown and, as has already been posted, it's got a nice reddish tinge to it. I'm very glad I went for the cotton drill lining, it looks very hard wearing and I can get a thick wool jumper under it so there's no need for the alpaca in my case.

The size seems spot on, it's big enough to get a wooly under but not too big hat it looks massive over a shirt. I take a size 48R in a suit jacket and that's what Aero recommended, I'm glad I went with their suggestions.

I'm just re-charging the batteries in my camera and I'll try and take some photos tomorrow in daylight and post them.

Thanks to one and all for all the advice, interest and help along the way, all's I need now is to try and decide what hat looks best with it! I suggested the James Lock Basque Beret for a laugh (http://www.jameslock.co.uk/prod2.taf?groupId=100071&_UserReference=2AE61502D09C95D84584281C) but my girlfriend threatened to leave me.lol

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
Excellent - hope to see you then.

Oh, no! That's terrible service.

Yup, it's not ideal, I'm going to send them terse letter and also email Aero and let them know it turned into a bit of a pain. I think if the current Parcel Force SOP is to leave your parcel at any old location rather than re-delivering it, reputable companies like Aero should stop using them. Personally, I'd rather pay more for the postage than have all the messing around.

Still, got there in the end!

Salv

One Too Many
MJCR said:
It's here! It was still at the Post Office so after dragging it back I was rewarded with a perfectly fitting Brown FQHH Barnstormer!

It has got some slightly annoying creases in it from being folded into a box for over a week, but I guess it's all part of the breaking in process...

The leather is a rich brown and, as has already been posted, it's got a nice reddish tinge to it. I'm very glad I went for the cotton drill lining, it looks very hard wearing and I can get a thick wool jumper under it so there's no need for the alpaca in my case.

The size seems spot on, it's big enough to get a wooly under but not too big hat it looks massive over a shirt. I take a size 48R in a suit jacket and that's what Aero recommended, I'm glad I went with their suggestions.

I'm just re-charging the batteries in my camera and I'll try and take some photos tomorrow in daylight and post them.

Thanks to one and all for all the advice, interest and help along the way, all's I need now is to try and decide what hat looks best with it! I suggested the James Lock Basque Beret for a laugh (http://www.jameslock.co.uk/prod2.taf?groupId=100071&_UserReference=2AE61502D09C95D84584281C) but my girlfriend threatened to leave me.lol

Hooray! :eusa_clap

Looking forward to the photos, and I'm glad you're pleased with it.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Ok, here goes! Not the best pictures I'm afraid, it's a snapshot camera, no tripod and pretty nasty weather! Hope these are ok for now...

DSC01060_edited-1.jpg

DSC01059_edited-1.jpg

DSC01056_edited-1.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
MJCR said:
Ok, here goes! Not the best pictures I'm afraid, it's a snapshot camera, no tripod and pretty nasty weather! Hope these are ok for now...

Looking good - nice fit and the colour has come out well in the photos. You can see just how stiff the leather is as well.

I make that 5 Barnstormers on the Lounge now.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
Looking good - nice fit and the colour has come out well in the photos. You can see just how stiff the leather is as well.

I make that 5 Barnstormers on the Lounge now.

Thanks Salv, it's quite roomy with just a shirt under it, but the smaller size would have been too small. The leather is stiff and then some, I'm going to have to give it some serious wear before it softens up. Hopefully the sit down on the tram every day to work will help soften it up!

Only five Barnstormers! Perhaps we should start a club!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Nice-looking coat you have there. ;) I think you made a smart move going for the cotton drill lining: mine's plenty warm enough in this climate.

MJCR said:
Only five Barnstormers! Perhaps we should start a club!

Well the hat boys do have the Open Road Guild, the Stratoliner Society and the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon.

How about the Barnstormer Squadron, or the Fedora Flying Circus?

MJCR

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Nice-looking coat you have there. ;) I think you made a smart move going for the cotton drill lining: mine's plenty warm enough in this climate.

Well the hat boys do have the Open Road Guild, the Stratoliner Society and the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon.

How about the Barnstormer Squadron, or the Fedora Flying Circus?[/QUOTE]

Yeah! The Barnstormer Squadron!!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
APPROVED !!

MJCR said:

DSC01060_edited-1.jpg

DSC01059_edited-1.jpg

DSC01056_edited-1.jpg

Congrats on your aquisition MJCR - its a lovely example of Aeros quality and it looks good on you. You're right in saying it will take some breaking in - I bought a Long Half Belt earlier this year and that FQHH is one serious piece of hide !! Actually its beginning to soften up a fair bit now that the winters here and I'm wearing it more often. Aeros FQHH is made to take a hammering so don't be afraid to treat it rough !

Cheers

Colin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe