Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

Barry

Practically Family
Aero Cordovan

Here are some shots of my Aero Cossack in cordovan. I took these a few months ago. It is lined with drill cloth.

Barry

MJCR

One of the Regulars
gimmesomeshelte said:
Hello-

Keep in mind that the alpaca can be a bit itchy. I personally prefer a drill lining if you're concerned about durability, or the tartan lining for appearance/comfort.

Salv-

I'd love to see pics of your Cordovan Barnstormer. I almost bought a Cordovan Highwayman this season, but I chickened out and bought one in black instead. Maybe next season.

Paul-

Hi Paul, I did the same thing last year. Same jacket, same colour! I like the black, but just fancy a longer jacket.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Hey Barry - cool jacket! Do you have pictures of you wearing it? That is the real test of a great jacket. One that fits just right and compliments the person wearing it.

In the pictures you posted, we see a jacket. When you post pictures where you are wearing it, everyone sees your jacket. It is the difference between seeing a picture of a fine fur felt hat resting on the table and that same hat on the owner.

Just curious...

Barry

Practically Family
rick5150 said:
Hey Barry - cool jacket! Do you have pictures of you wearing it? That is the real test of a great jacket.

I just posted it so he could see the cordovan color in the sunlight.

I did take some pictures of myself wearing it. At the time I was just about 20lbs heavier. I'll try to take some new photos soon. You are right though the jackets look better when you get to see someone wearing them.

Barry

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Hi guys - thanks for all the cool advice, I'm going to do the deed this weekend and order a Brown FQHH Barnstormer with the cotton drill lining and an inside pocket. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Salv - hope the wearther cools down there in the South for you so you can get the jacket out again. I'm in London regularly at the moment and this week and it was still pretty mild, it's a bit cooler up here in the frozen North though! I'd love to see some pictures if you get the chance.

Barry - that's a great looking jacket, I got the Highwayman in the black 'jerky' HH last year but looking at those pictures of the regular FQHH Cordovan I wish I'd gone for that. Still, it's an excuse to buy another jacket next year!

Thanks again everyone.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
One more thing I meant to ask, how does the Barnstormer look with a Fedora? I've got an Adventurebilt on the way (should arrive next week) so it'd be nice if they complimented each other.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Well, it's ordered! Brown FQHH, brown cotton drill lining and an inside pocket.

I'll ost some pictures (weather permitting) when it arrives. Thanks again for all the advice!

Baggers

Practically Family
Whoops, I'm coming a bit late to this one, but you've made a very wise decision. I love my Barnstormer with the twill lining. Aero's shade of brown has a wonderful rich reddish hue that sets it apart from all my other leathers. And because it's a rather thin sprayed on finish, it will develop character quite quickly and look even better.

I forget which thread it's in, but after I first got it, I posted pictures somewhere here. Just search for "Barnstormer" or "WW1 Aviator Look" either here or in the WW2 section.

Congratulations!

Cheers!

Salv

One Too Many
It's not particularly cold today, but the sun keeps breaking through, so I managed to get a few photos of the cordovan Barnstormer:

DSCN1823.jpg
DSCN1826.jpg
DSCN1830.jpg
DSCN1832.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great modelling career ahead of you Salv..!

Lovely shots Salv, and you capture the jacket well. Looking good my friend! Do you tend to wear it with or without the leather belt? AS that does really change the look of the jacket (I feel).

misanthrope101

New in Town
nice coat!

Aaargh! I love that Barnstormer! I'm looking closely at the Aero Mariner, since I won't wear the belt. But I also love the Lost Worlds Horsehide Pea Coat (http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Horsehide_Leather_Pea_Coat.htm). I wish I could find more pics of that one to see if I'd prefer it over the Mariner. I like it better in the picture, but I've seen only that one picture of the LW coat, and so many of the Mariner and Barnstormer. I keep thinking about bidding on an authentic U-boat jacket instead, but I'm not sure about wearing actual Nazi paraphernalia. Any feedback on that? I certainly don't want to commit a major faux pas just because I liked the cut of the jacket.

Oh, and I'm new to the forum. Hello all!

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Lovely shots Salv, and you capture the jacket well. Looking good my friend! Do you tend to wear it with or without the leather belt? AS that does really change the look of the jacket (I feel).

I prefer to wear it with the belt fastened, but that's only practical when it's cold or raining. Even then I tend to start off with it fastened then have to loosen it and undo the buttons after walking for a while as I warm up too much. I'm really hoping we have a bad winter this year.

And welcome to the Lounge misanthrope101. Opinions regarding original German WW2 clothing vary here - some don't see it as a problem if you're not actively supporting what the uniforms stood for; some are completely against it, period. I'd probably put myself in the former group on the understanding that anyone wearing a U-boat jacket is only wearing it because of its design, not because of its associations. Just make sure to remove any Nazi insignia before wearing it outside...

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: U-Boat jacket= Faux Pas...

Isn't the new Dr. Who jacket at least reminiscent of a U-Boat jacket? I seem to remember reading that here.....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
U-boat seafaring jacket. (dive-dive-dive!!)

:eek:fftopic: Gents, I'm depth charging this little intrusion on the U-Boat jacket, as this is a Barnstormer topic.
GREAT NEWS THOUGH....There is a current thread on these jackets (see below) that has so much more to share on these lovely looking pieces of hide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11285

I know it can be difficult sticking (me included!) to a particular thread, as one thing triggers another...., but it does REALLY help gents if you can harness all that great enthusiasm you have and check to see if it's already being discussed, as it means that all info/advice particular to THAT jacket style is shared in the one place and acts as a great reference for others :)

Thanks for your time and enthusiasm as ever gentlemen!:eusa_clap

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
It's not particularly cold today, but the sun keeps breaking through, so I managed to get a few photos of the cordovan Barnstormer:

DSCN1823.jpg
DSCN1826.jpg
DSCN1830.jpg
DSCN1832.jpg

Looking good! No word yet from Aero on my order, apart from the usual automatic order confirmation via email. Hopefully that means all the measurements/specifications are ok and they're getting on with it.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Baggers said:
Whoops, I'm coming a bit late to this one, but you've made a very wise decision. I love my Barnstormer with the twill lining. Aero's shade of brown has a wonderful rich reddish hue that sets it apart from all my other leathers. And because it's a rather thin sprayed on finish, it will develop character quite quickly and look even better.

I forget which thread it's in, but after I first got it, I posted pictures somewhere here. Just search for "Barnstormer" or "WW1 Aviator Look" either here or in the WW2 section.

Congratulations!

Cheers!

Hi Baggers - I saw yours on the COW site and was very impressed, I think that's when I started wanting one. If my girfriend asks why I have to have one, I'm blaming you!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
MJCR said:
Looking good! No word yet from Aero on my order, apart from the usual automatic order confirmation via email. Hopefully that means all the measurements/specifications are ok and they're getting on with it.

Patience, Grasshopper! They will indeed be getting on with it, and if your order's anything like mine they'll send you an email when it's despatched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe