Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Quite true about the shortening at the shoulder thing. But that is a bit advanced for me (wouldn't want to destroy the suit!)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
TOTTIE said:
I was under the impression that bespoke suits were much more likely to have working buttonholes --
Yes, but bespoke covers a large range of price and quality. Bespoke only means that a unique pattern was made for an individual; it doesnt speak to the quality of make, as one may be entirely machine made and another entirely hand made. The better bespoke tailors won't charge for buttonholes while the cheaper ones will.

TOTTIE said:
I thought Savile Row tailors in the 1930s (for instance) would always have put working buttonholes on.
Not in all cases, as the Duke of Windsor didn't have them on his SR suits.
TOTTIE said:
No idea about modern suits. It's pretty hard to find anything decent quality
these days...
The quality is out there but the demand isn't.
TOTTIE said:
p.s. I have a huge dislike for non-functioning additions to clothing - so buttons that don't work upset me! Why are they there? Weird vestigial, useless buttons...
How about the lapel buttonhole?[huh]
TOTTIE said:
Anyway, I have a suspicion that as a female I shouldn't be in here, so I'll be
off in a mo.
Don't be silly.:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
silk knits

The only skinny tie I really go for is the silk knit tie. They are pretty much an Italian product and a New York phenomenon – think Barneys, Paul Stuart, etc. They must be hard to find elsewhere, altho I did pick one up in London years ago.

They're typically 2" to 2 1/2" wide and square ended. They tie neatly, feel great, come in a bizillion colors, dress up, down or vintage, and wear pretty much forever. I must own 30 or more, some being 20 years old.

328587972_b42e6d7f74.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:

Seems, however that the narrow tie was very much part of the pub rock style with its roots in the early 70s (History, please, Salv?) and then when Blondie and Costello release major records, suddenly the narrow tie is back.

I had a lengthy reply written out, with photos, and IE on this work PC crashed and I lost it! I can't be bothered to find all the photos again, but basically skinny ties were worn, but they weren't a big thing with pub rock bands, and certainly not in the early 70s. Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds wore skinny ties in Rockpile circa 1976, but Lowe didn't seem to wear one while with Brinsley Schwarz; Lee Brilleaux and Wilko Johnson from Dr. Feelgood wore ties, but not really skinny ones, also circa 1976; One of the members of the 101'ers (Joe Strummers pre-Clash band) wore a tie in one photo session, but that seemed quite unusual; Ian Dury sometimes wore a tie with Kilburn & The High Roads, and I think the Stiff documentary mentioned that Elvis Costello's image at Stiff (big glasses, skinny tie) was dreamed up by Dave Robinson and Jake Riviera in 1976.

I now have Lew Lewis' Boogie On The Street as an earworm...

funneman

Practically Family
Salv said:
I had a lengthy reply written out, with photos, and IE on this work PC crashed and I lost it! I can't be bothered to find all the photos again, but basically skinny ties were worn, but they weren't a big thing with pub rock bands, and certainly not in the early 70s. Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds wore skinny ties in Rockpile circa 1976, but Lowe didn't seem to wear one while with Brinsley Schwarz; Lee Brilleaux and Wilko Johnson from Dr. Feelgood wore ties, but not really skinny ones, also circa 1976; One of the members of the 101'ers (Joe Strummers pre-Clash band) wore a tie in one photo session, but that seemed quite unusual; Ian Dury sometimes wore a tie with Kilburn & The High Roads, and I think the Stiff documentary mentioned that Elvis Costello's image at Stiff (big glasses, skinny tie) was dreamed up by Dave Robinson and Jake Riviera in 1976.

I now have Lew Lewis' Boogie On The Street as an earworm...
I remember asking my Boss once, about a Romantics show he had gone to the night before, his quote about the band was, "Eh, they're just another skinny-tie-band."

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I have 100s of the narrow ones, too. I find some quite sophisticated....a solid color with one small object (like a cherry) on it. Some have that 1950s 'atomic age' edge to them (a small atom icon or similar). I wore one to my job interview and got the job (I don't think it was because of the tie, though). Oh heck, I like all neckties made before 1965.

Feraud

Bartender
Speaking of Old Town.. Is this the company that does not ship outside the U.K.?
Do I remember reading Senator Jack planning to order a tie from them? Did that ever happen?

Salv

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Speaking of Old Town.. Is this the company that does not ship outside the U.K.?
Do I remember reading Senator Jack planning to order a tie from them? Did that ever happen?

That's the one. I think Jack and nightandthecity were PM'ing to sort something out but I don't know if anything came of it.

Salv

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
NightandtheCity was kindly going to act as my middleman for Old Town, but I never got around to it. Salv, seems to have the same taste as I do, because the one on the right was the one I was going to order. Seeing it again, I may have to break down.

Regards,

Senator Jack

If you want one let me know, and I'll get it for you. I have the one on the left BTW, and it's possibly my favourite tie - the picture doesn't really show the richness of the colours.

edit: although with the strength of the Pound at the moment you're looking at almost $60 for the tie, plus shipping. Old Town charge £6.00/$12.00 for UK shipping, and it'll be a few bucks to send it to the US, so about $75-$80?

Salv

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Are they worth the $60 U.S., Salv? The expensive tie is one hurdle I have yet to jump. (the other being expensive underwear)

Hmmmm - I think so, but if you haven't spent that kind of money on a tie before it may be difficult to convince you. You probably won't find anything else like it new, but I'm sure if you hunt around long enough you'll find something vintage in a similar style. They are very good quality silk, nice and solid, but without a stiff lining so they tie nicely without having a huge knot, and the colours are much richer than they appear in the photos. I bought mine from the shop, and once I had it in my hands and could see it properly in the light there was no question about it being worth the money, even though mine was that bit more expensive at £35/$70. I'd hate for you to lay out the money and then not like it though...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
TOTTIE said:
I was under the impression that was for a 'buttonhole' flower?
No, its use as a boutonniere came later. Initially, in inclement weather, the lapels could be closed to the neck and buttoned, using a button that was placed on the underside of the corresponding lapel.

Thin Ties

As i noted above they're not my bag. Does anyone wish me to pick up the thin ties i see? I pass up on literally hundreds of them per month. Or maybe you could tell me the kind of patterns you're interested in and if i see 'em i'll buy 'em for you. The ones i'm leaving behind at the stores are on the order of $2 a pop. I do not charge a finders fee ;) .

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust