Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There should be

ShortClara

One Too Many
I want a lipstick phone! Then I could groom and chat simultaneously, or chat on the QT whilst appearing to be grooming.

I like your pocketwatch idea, too.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just use your shoe phone:

don.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Re: Pocket Watch Phone
Would you call it the "Tic-Talk"?​

Re: Shoe Phone
I can hear the slogan now: "Let your feet do the talking!"​

Edward

Bartender
Tony in Tarzana said:
Or how about black pebble-grain leather and stainless steel, like a vintage camera?

I like that idea.

The one that really surprises me is they've not put out a widely available and cheap mobile phone which resembles Captain Kirk's communicator. I mean, surely there's enough of a market for that at least?

griffer

Practically Family
Back in the late 90s I doodled a design for a spring loaded, deco, cell phone.

Concept was retro futuristic looks in rounded aircraft aluminum, one handed operation and truly water proof, drop proof when closed.

I wanted the aluminum shell to actually gain character rather than just break- dents, patinas and scuffs would add to the charm of the tough little throw back phone.

It's the phone Sky Captain would use.

All phones to me now are plastic, brittle, shiny and ephemeral.

My 'Aero' phone would be the opposite.

Starius

Practically Family
griffer said:
Back in the late 90s I doodled a design for a spring loaded, deco, cell phone.

Concept was retro futuristic looks in rounded aircraft aluminum, one handed operation and truly water proof, drop proof when closed.

I wanted the aluminum shell to actually gain character rather than just break- dents, patinas and scuffs would add to the charm of the tough little throw back phone.

It's the phone Sky Captain would use.

All phones to me now are plastic, brittle, shiny and ephemeral.

My 'Aero' phone would be the opposite.

Part of the reason why my I picked a RAZR V3 as my latest phone is because of the aluminum casing. That fact alone makes it feel like a higher quality product than the previous cell phones I've had.

Part of the casing at the bottom is plastic though, and this has turned out to be a good thing. The phone is so streamlined and slick in my hands I keep dropping the thing and it always seems to fall on that plastic casing part first when it hits the concrete. While there are visible defects on the corners now as a result, the plastic part does absorb the impact rather well. So I'm kinda glad thats there too.

Though, I wish I could just remind myself not to be such a complete butterfingers when I pull the phone out of my pocket.

griffer

Practically Family
But a Razr still isn't water proof or one-handed.

I am just constantly dissappointed by the phones available.

NOTHING grabs me.

Am I the only one that DOESN'T want a feature heavy music/camera/web/messaging/digital assistant/oh_yeah_and_a_kinda_ok_phone combo?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hack a Samsung SGH-P310 or P300 into a nice silver cigarette case and you're done.

EFK8401red921.jpg

samsung_sgh_p310_2.jpg

3224-1.jpg

All you need is some VHB double-sided tape and a Dremel.

...I'd do it myself but I'm not the leash type nor am I dropping $300+ on one.

...and yeah, the 'OMG CHECK OUT ALL THE CRAZY USELESS CRAP MY PHONE DOES' trend is, quite frankly, stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe