Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World's Fastest Indian

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I saw this one last night and enjoyed it very much.
it is the story of Burt Munro, a New Zealander who set land speed records (one of which still stands) in his class with a modified 1920 (1925 in the film) Indian Scout motorcycle. Anthony Hopkins is, in my opinion, the greatest living actor in the English language, perhaps of all time. His ability to inhabit a broad range of characters is almost eerie. In this he gives us a man nearing the end of life, pursuing a lifelong dream with no money and a lot of hope and goodwill.
He also wears a fine leather "motor sickle" jacket. :)
Personally, here's hoping the film sparks a renewed interest in Indian bikes as a new Chief is on my wish list, if the company's plan to re-emerge (yet again) is successful.
Highly recommended film. Certainly one of Hopkins best performances. Oddly, it saw very few showings in theatres.
mptv1.gif

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We ran it for a week at the Strand -- complete with a genuine antique Indian motorcycle on display in the lobby -- so I got to see it several times, and thought it was a really charming film. It takes some getting-used-to to see Hopkins playing, basically, a likeable goof who likes to ride really really fast, but he makes it work. I'm surprised it was passed over for even a nomination at Oscar time.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I enjoyed the film a great deal. However, after watching the documentary featuring the real Burt Munro in the the special features section, I feel that Anthony Hopkins was a bit miscast and didn't do the real Munro justice. The real Munro had a tremendous physique for his age, he looked liked a lean and wiry professional athlete whereas Hopkins' Monro was a typical pot-bellied, knock-kneed pensioner. The real Munro also seemed like much more of a lewd skirt-chaser than Hopkins' sugary-sweet, doddering old man. Nit-picking aside, I'd recommend the movie to anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally