Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Tailoring Thread

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Barmey, i know you do, but for anyone else who appreciates vintage sleeve linings :

b12_zps123986b5.jpeg

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Crikey! That stuff is amazing!

Found a little mill in Italy that can make Bemberg Sleeve lining to order. Minimum Run of 50 meters though, so it might be a while before I can comission anything like that :(

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Barmey, any idea what 50 metres would cost ?

p.s. the lining above is from an Edwardian frock coat that seller 'Style Service' has on ebay.uk... there are other nice ones too, but that was the most unusual.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Felt a little out of my depth asking how much a 50 meter run would cost. Lining isn't all that expencive though. Definately worth looking into if you get your own line going, or we open our own tailoring house one day :D

Found another Italian timmers who have stock sleeve linings, so I'll be doing some more enquiries.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I like the jacket. Very similar to one I drafted for myself, which I think is more or less the same Tailor and Cutter system. :)

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Ahahahaha at this rate ages. I've learnt so much since I started that I feel I may be slightly dissapointed with the final outcome. I can't wait to start another one and go for some more interesting cutting, but I really must crack on and finish this one in my spare time. I'll take some pictures of it progress tomorrow :)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
looking forward to see it !

i feel i should point out (and i hope you don't mind me doing so) to other readers that Barmey is apprenticing 3 (?) days a week on Savile Row and is only 19. i predict great things for this young man. i'm sure i'll be asking him for advice in a few more years.

Barmey

One of the Regulars

Hopefully this is a bit of tease of whats to come. Sorry, for the hipster filter on the picture...

Attachments

• jacketprogress_zpse144256b.jpg
    jacketprogress_zpse144256b.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 201

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I've learnt so much since I started that I feel I may be slightly dissapointed with the final outcome. I can't wait to start another one and go for some more interesting cutting, but I really must crack on and finish this one in my spare time.

Barmey, the work in progress looks great. if you want a bit of sage old advice which you didn't ask for but are going to get anyway; i think it's good to do a suit that's maybe on the conservative side before tackling something more adventurous. pace yourself a little bit. don't be in too much of a rush to nail your dream suit.

(feel free to ignore the above advice). ;)

Qirrel

Practically Family
Barmey, the work in progress looks great. if you want a bit of sage old advice which you didn't ask for but are going to get anyway; i think it's good to do a suit that's maybe on the conservative side before tackling something more adventurous. pace yourself a little bit. don't be in too much of a rush to nail your dream suit.

(feel free to ignore the above advice). ;)

Agreed. I have binned many jackets owing to my overzealousness.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I totally agree. If I had the chance again I would not have used a stripe for my first suit. It was just toooo irresistible :) The next one I'm thinking about doing is a plain navy or brown DB with perhaps a simple belt back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld