Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Squatter claims it's turf

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I'll try and keep this short.........does anyone else feel a breeze......it's probably just the klanking of my keyboard :rolleyes:.

I ordered a Squatter from E.A. thinking I would be getting Imperial felt since Akubra's website advertises the Squatter in Imperial.

After ordering I found this page http://www.yatesmenswear.com.au/onlineproducts/akubra/country.html courtesy of Yates Men's Wear, AU.... So I emailed Sam at E.A. and asked him about the felt and liner. As to the felt he expressed that it should be Imperial and the liner could be my choice of red, cream, white or no liner. I ordered red so folks would skip a breath when they glimpsed the inside of my black hat - WHOAH :D.

What I received was an unlined Featherweight :( . But hold on.

It didn't take my hands long to find a suspicious familiar feel. This Feather weight felt has a very vintage hand - my Campdraft in Imperial feels downright noodley in comparison.

I've never fondled Akubra's Heritage felt but now I'm very curious. Just what are those rascals at Akubra up to?

I hope I have revealed some decent classic character in this hat:

The Ribbon

hpim06081.jpg

A little more angle

hpim06071.jpg

You look'in at me?

hpim06091.jpg

Get offa my land, Silverbelly!

hpim06101.jpg

On the noggin

squatter1.jpg

hpim06151.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice looking hat. Have you thought about putting your own liner in and personalize it a bit?

btw, that weather looks familiar. ;)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Yes, that weather is very familiar indeed. The hat is too.

Squatter_1-1.jpg

Mine was an e-bay win, so I'm not sure of it's origin. It is lined and Imperial felt, but no chinstrap holes. Your Squatter might be a good warmer weather hat without a liner.

carter

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Thanks for posting ... I may have to look into one of these! :D
Both are great looking hats.
:arated:
I wonder if Mr. Whipple would find fondling the felt as addictive as squeezing the Charmin. ;) :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:

Squatter_1-1.jpg

......It is lined and Imperial felt, but no chinstrap holes. ....

That sounds consistent with what's offered from Yates Men's Wear. Honestly, with all the customization that is available from Akubra it looks like even they have trouble keeping up with what standard issue is [huh].

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I really like the bash of your crown, the centerdent starts higher back on the crown and gives it more height. Did you do that or did it come pre-bashed?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
My black Squatter should be here from EA any day now. After seeing this I'm confident this will be a great hat. I'm looking for something with a "villainous" look. Did you bash it yourself? IIRC it comes open crowned, no?

Great hat, thanks for sharing.

kiltie

Practically Family
Misanthrope...

...nice avatar ;) .

I've got the David Morgan Akubra Squatter and I have to say, yours sounds like a much nicer hat. No bones, mine's a nice hat, but the one at the top is really, REALLY nice. I've got the grommets, and mine is the Imperial felt. Not coarse, per se, but ...fuzzy, for lack of a better term. One curiosity about mine; it seems to have the deluxe sweat band. Ridiculously soft and comfy. No choice of liner to mine. That was kinda disappointiong when, about a year ago, people started posting their red Akubra liners - those look SHARP.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM1837.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I ordered a Squatter from EA last year and was disappointed by the "featherweight Superfine" quality felt when it first arrived.
BUT since I've had it and have worn it a little, I really like it.
I've considered getting an Imperial Quality from David Morgan but the one I have is in great shape, so I probably won't.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
... Did you do that or did it come pre-bashed?

It arrived in a pork pie or more like what I'd call a plain telescope just like what you see on all the dealer websites. I got it really wet to work out the old crease and put in the new.

This crease is maxed out for my head in that the center dent touches my head. I could really use a taller crown to start with (?) but then it wouldn't be a Squatter would it ;).

As to thunderw21's question about the liner, I'm not handy enough to tackle something like a custom liner job. I'm quite happy with it the way it is actually.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Akubra felts

kiltie said:
...I've got the grommets, and mine is the Imperial felt. Not coarse, per se, but ...fuzzy, for lack of a better term. One curiosity about mine; it seems to have the deluxe sweat band. Ridiculously soft and comfy. No choice of liner to mine. ...

The Superfine appears to be thinner, more dense and smoother (less fuzzy) than the Imperial. Hmmm, this sound similar to how folks compare Heritage and Imperial.

Does anyone have any in hand experience with Superfine and Heritage? Please chime in here.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Black

I should comment on the blackness of this hat since my photos were taken under overcast skies with occasional thunder showers.

This hat is deep black. There are no grey or blue overtones or any overtones at all. It's just black and it shows every particle of lint hair and anything else that is floating around :eusa_doh:.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
CRH said:
The Superfine appears to be thinner, more dense and smoother (less fuzzy) than the Imperial. Hmmm, this sound similar to how folks compare Heritage and Imperial.

Does anyone have any in hand experience with Superfine and Heritage? Please chime in here.

They Sydney I bought from DM is also a lightweight black felt that is smoother than my other Akubras. I wonder if its this "superfine" weight.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
It arrived in a pork pie or more like what I'd call a plain telescope just like what you see on all the dealer websites. I got it really wet to work out the old crease and put in the new.

This crease is maxed out for my head in that the center dent touches my head. I could really use a taller crown to start with (?) but then it wouldn't be a Squatter would it ;).

As to thunderw21's question about the liner, I'm not handy enough to tackle something like a custom liner job. I'm quite happy with it the way it is actually.

You did a fine job on the bash. The crown is not as high as a Fed or a Campdraft, but I've grown to love my Squatter.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
They Sydney I bought from DM is also a lightweight black felt that is smoother than my other Akubras. I wonder if its this "superfine" weight.

Good question. Like is it Superfine or a possible 4th Akubra felt.

I don't have a tripid so I can't post any close up pics but here's what is inside my Squatter. On the front of the sweat band is "Squatter Featherweight."

The sticker on the top says "SUPERFINE QUALITY".

Chuck Bobuck and kaosharper1, what's inside your Squatters?..... and don't you dare say it's your head :D.

*edited d/t mix up between D.M.'s Sydney and Casual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld