Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resurgence of Vintage Things

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Following a request on Lizzie's fantastic Vintage Things that Have Disappeared in Our LIfetime thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=921645#post921645 I decided to start this one...

Some things seem to be making a bit of a comeback of late - Carbonated drinks in glass bottles, soap wrapped in paper, enamel dishes for the kitchen readily available and so on and soforth. Has anyone else noticed any such things that are appearing again after a long absence?

I've found that most such things are gimmicks, but are nice to see nontheless!

Oh! And I almost overlooked one of the most high profile comebacks of recent times; the resurgence of ballroom dancing in the form of Strictly Come Dancing/Dancing with the Stars. Strictly Come Dancing here in the UK gets around 7+million viewers every week here in the UK and has introduced a whole new generation to the ballroom. They did a Charleston with other week that was fantastic and this week in the final, they are to do a Lindyhop! I can't wait! :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Wow, someone actually did it...:eusa_clap

Things I've noticed in a resurgence of late...

Soft-drinks in glass bottles. I've seen coke and lemonade being sold in glass bottles. Not with the old crown-cap bottle-caps, but with screw-on tops. When I was a kid, I never saw any. It was either cans or plastic. I thought glass bottled drinks were a thing of the past...now it appears they're not.

Certain elements of fashion, as well, seem to be coming back. I read somewhere in certain communities, men are starting to go back to three-piece suits and waistcoats. I wonder why? As well as putting on ties and actually dressing like they give a damn about what they look like (which I reckon, doesn't seem to be an overriding trend in men's fashion these days).

Brooksie

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Wow, someone actually did it...:eusa_clap

Things I've noticed in a resurgence of late...

Soft-drinks in glass bottles. I've seen coke and lemonade being sold in glass bottles. Not with the old crown-cap bottle-caps, but with screw-on tops. When I was a kid, I never saw any. It was either cans or plastic. I thought glass bottled drinks were a thing of the past...now it appears they're not.

Certain elements of fashion, as well, seem to be coming back. I read somewhere in certain communities, men are starting to go back to three-piece suits and waistcoats. I wonder why? As well as putting on ties and actually dressing like they give a damn about what they look like (which I reckon, doesn't seem to be an overriding trend in men's fashion these days).

Part of the reason that men in certain communities may be wearing a three piece suit and waistcoat because they may believe that it may give them an edge to getting and keeping a job (sets them apart from them pack and they appear to be a serious contender in the job market), the way I look at is anything that can be done to give a person a leg up then do it and maybe they look at things that way too.[huh]

Brooksie

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
One thing I'd love to see a resurgence of is individuality. It seems these days, the younger crowd (which I am, regrettably, a part of), all seem to grow up covered in wool. Sheltered and sheepy. They listen to a track of old music (say jazz, or classic pop or some-such thing) in a movie or on a TV show, and then they wonder what it is.

Either they go and find out, and discover that old is not crap. Or, they think it is crap and head off on their way.

I'd love to see a resurgence of a love of classic pop and jazz, which I know a lot of people on this forum listen to. To me, music from Glenn Miller, Goodman, Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong, taught me that it doesn't have to be new to be good, and if it's old and it's still famous, they must've done something right. Kids should be more exploratory and adventerous in listening to old music, and not be scared off by what "others" might think of their "weird, old music" tastes. I certainly never cared what folks thought of my vintage addiction, and I've had it ever since I was five.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The Rag Trade is always recycling, 1920's Racoon Coats, were all the rage again in the 1950's, in the early 1970's there was a revival of Art Deco, in Films Music and Clothing, and lots of BBC tV series set in the period, Think "Pennies From Heaven" "Edward & Mrs Simpson" in the late 1980's again there was a resurgence in the whole swing scene thingy, again at the turn of this decade the shops are full of cheap Fedoras, for the chaps, and polka dot frocks for the Gels! one Opticians in London is relaunching the "Monocle" due to recent demand from young men!!! where will it all end?"

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Lindy on Strictly Come Dancing - Maybe someone has had a word with them since the Dancing with the Stars debacle!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BinkieBaumont said:
...where will it all end?"
Hopefully with many more people in the world dressing well, behaving politely and respecting history.

On the other hand, vintage prices may go sky high - we could all be rich beyond our dreams of avarice (if we could stand to part with our things).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld