Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Red-Book Of Men's Tailoring, 1917

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No. Can't. Most Google books simply aren't really accessible if you're in Germany. I even tried to go the proxy route but that didn't help either.
:arated::mad: I hate it. We might try to download the portable version of firefox. Somebody told me it is good to avoid regional restrictions. Also works for military stuff on american ebay (I wanted american sailor pants but couldn't open the auctions)

Brevetti

New in Town
So if I were to take the patterns from this book and give it to my tailor, he could reproduce a historically accurate 1917-style suit? Or is The Red-Book of Men's Tailoring simply a text book for students training to become a tailor?

Qirrel

Practically Family
So if I were to take the patterns from this book and give it to my tailor, he could reproduce a historically accurate 1917-style suit? Or is The Red-Book of Men's Tailoring simply a text book for students training to become a tailor?

The tailor/cutter could take style cues from the patterns, but to make a suit like they did in 1917 the tailor would need knowledge not found in this book. This is really only a cutting manual.

Brevetti

New in Town
The tailor/cutter could take style cues from the patterns, but to make a suit like they did in 1917 the tailor would need knowledge not found in this book. This is really only a cutting manual.

Aw, that sure is a shame. I thought this book might have finally been the solution to producing period correct suits. Close, but not quite.

I wonder if there are books like this put out for today's tailors? These books imply a devotion to the craft of tailoring - that I just don't see in the tailors I encounter in NYC in stores like Brooks Brothers or at stand alone tailoring shops (maybe not the absolute highest end, but real tailoring shops that are far from inexpensive).

Once in awhile, I'll encounter a skilled tailor who appears to have a dedication to his profession - and skill level to match - that seems consistent with this book, but more often, the tailor is at best competent and at best engaged enough to help you and most of the time, they are not very engaged and do their job in a perfunctory manner.

Has the culture, professionalism and commitment of tailoring changed or do these books give us a distorted and idealized view of what tailors and tailoring profession was like back then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe