Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prototype "MD1" - Matt Deckard Apparel Fedora!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
The only large size I have left in the first run is 7 1/4... the rest are 7 and below. There are too many big heads out there.

No, there are too few large hats!

Not that you need any advice from me, Matt, but I would encourage you to cater to melon-headed crowd a little. Lord knows no one else is doing so. As I've pointed out in other threads, smaller-headed guys can buy hats anywhere and everywhere, including the vintage market, but we large-headed guys are stuck with new hats, and far too many hatmakers give us short shrift.

There's an eager -- and captive -- customer base out there, if someone will just cater to us the tiniest bit.

In general any size from about 7-1/2 and then each step up in size to 7-5/8, 7-3/4, 7-7/8, and 8 (or above) the coverage drops dramatically by most manufacturers.

It might be that the larger size (I am drawing a blank for the hat mold term) and flanges and such may be pretty rare to find. I had seen that some Akubras thru David Morgan were made in 7-7/8 and even one 8 but that is not across the board for all hats.

I have not bashed it, but have fiddled with it so it's not pristine untouched.

Hard to restrain myself if you know what I mean! I really wanted to do a little video with Matt demonstrating. However Matt has basically gone missing can't get in touch with him at all. Hope everything is OK there.

It's a little stiff but not in the shellaced way, more like when a hat has been freshly cleaned and reblocked so it's like a crisp new dollar bill. The felt is soft-ish and will become soft very quickly I am sure.

The felt is fairly thin, not as thin as my really good vintage hats but more like some of the Akubras I have Campdraft, Squatter and Bushman, about the same if just a tad thicker maybe.

Here are 3 pictures of it pretty much as it came with open crown. Like I said I did fiddle with it but not to put in any folds or creases.

MD-1002.jpg

MD-1003.jpg

MD-1001.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They are the best production line hat that I know of... the prototypes for the new additions of the lineup have arrived. Deckard Headwear's newst color and a higher grade of fur felt to handle the elements.

More info later, just wanted to show some pics.

155244_467802443810_642563810_5864032_2101943_n.jpg

150206_467802838810_642563810_5864039_3143937_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe