Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pinup Thread

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies, with the growing interest in pin-up photography, and the number of vintage pin-up models who frequent this board, we are consolidating all the pin-up threads into one resource thread. This is a thread to share your experiences, what you use, costumes, make up, photographers etc, etc. With this comes some stipulations.

Please use discretion when posting photographs. The purpose of this thread is primarily informative, and photos illustrating aspects of vintage costuming, makeup, or photographic technique are welcome. However, we would encourage everyone to avoid posting photos simply for the sake of posting photos. Photos without obvious vintage content will be removed.

This will be a LADIES ONLY thread. Mens posts will be promptly removed.
Right now this on a trial basis, so we will see how it goes and is perceived.

Thanks Ladies!

LD

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Mary and I love having photo sessions. We love pin-up pics of others, but don't try to take sexy pics of ourselves (we'll probably have a winter coat session when the season is right). We do try to take old-fashioned, glamourous, vintage portfolio type of pics. The other day our theme was "By The Seaside":

fed1.jpg

fed2.jpg

fed3.jpg

fed4.jpg

We had a lot of fun, and hope you other gals will post photo sessions / vintage portfolios of yourselves! We need inspiration. We like the fact that this thread is in the Powder Room. No need to be shy, reach for the stars!

Mary

Practically Family
And mine!

Next time I'll be sure to curl my hair and make a very stiff hairdo-helmet. Then I won't look like a troll or chew on my hair at all! :p
2008_0604strand10618.jpg

2008_0604strand10622.jpg

2008_0604strand10405.jpg

2008_0604strand10654.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I love modeling or doing hair for photoshoots. For me,it's about the clothes and setting a scene or exploring the vampier side of my personality that I don't let out that often. Think Vintage Vogue with a hint of sex appeal thrown in. I'm not sure that I'd classify myself as a Pinup.
I love getting into a character,wearing wigs and piling on the makeup. It's a transformation that's for sure. In everyday life you would walk right by me.
I think I'm more girl-next-door cute than glamour queen on a daily basis.

Everyday me:(repeat,most recent I have)
47b8d826b3127ccec41bbfba9fe100000025109AbOXLFk0bA9vPgg

(The unrecognizable transformations):
These are repeats from "The Ladies of the Fedora Lounge" thread,but I thought it might give the new ladies some ideas and would be appropriate for this thread.
Enjoy!
46a4e02f97d60.jpg

472674ce2bf42.jpg

4797477ddc965.jpg

4796e065874a3.jpg

479742a0ddc2c.jpg

46a612f604b9f.jpg

47692ba381a92.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
Mary and I love having photo sessions. We love pin-up pics of others, but don't try to take sexy pics of ourselves (we'll probably have a winter coat session when the season is right). We do try to take old-fashioned, glamourous, vintage portfolio type of pics. The other day our theme was "By The Seaside":

fed1.jpg

fed2.jpg

fed3.jpg

fed4.jpg

We had a lot of fun, and hope you other gals will post photo sessions / vintage portfolios of yourselves! We need inspiration. We like the fact that this thread is in the Powder Room. No need to be shy, reach for the stars!
Gorgeous!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Mary said:
And mine!

Next time I'll be sure to curl my hair and make a very stiff hairdo-helmet. Then I won't look like a troll or chew on my hair at all! :p
2008_0604strand10618.jpg

2008_0604strand10622.jpg

2008_0604strand10405.jpg

2008_0604strand10654.jpg
Cherrylips and Mary-
These are fantastic! I love that the photography has both the feel of a Pinup while still looking caught in the moment. Somehow,both carefree and glamorous.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thank you ladies for your generous compliments! It means even more coming from you, since I admire you all and value your opinions highly. (The only opinion I value higher is that of an 85 year-old lady;) .) I think it's easier to pose "naturally" when your close friend is behind the camera, you trust her and don't feel self-conscious. I imagine it's the same feeling you'd get with a really good photographer.
rubyredlocks, all I can say is GORGEOUS! Those are the kind of beautifully detailed photos you want to study for a long time. I loved hearing the thoughts behind the pics too! More of that, please!

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks!

It really is fun to take photos that turn out good. I used to be camerashy and get a very stiff cameralook on most photographs so these are great!

RubyRedlocks. I really like to hear more of your thoughts about your photos. It's very interesting. They are quite an inspiration. How do you come up with ideas. What do you want to do next?

For these photos I mostly wanted them to be summery snapshots of me where I look like me and not a model. We did one session before with a more posed 50's feeling that were a lot vampier.

It's fun to take photos too. To try to find angels and make sure the light's in the face and try to keep a horizon horizental. :p If you have tips on what to think of, please post them!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Cherry lips and Mary, you both look smashing!
Cherry lips, you remind me of the actress Bodil Kjer. Here's what she looked like:

BodilKjer300.jpg

709170-b8b908ef550c00048096bfaa483aa1cd.jpeg

Very cute pics. Where were they taken? I read in some brochure that there's a white painted bathing hotel from the 1920s in Malmö, but I've forgotten the name of it. I'd love to see it sometime.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Haha how fun! I can see the resemblance in the first pic. Is she very famous in Denmark? What was she famous for (what was her image in the 40s: sexy, smart, fatale, wholesome, voice, elegant, girl-next-door, etc)? What's your favorite film with her? I'd like to see one.
Hmm.. I haven't heard of that hotel, but I'll ask Mary about it. It sounds like something we should visit! The pics were taken by one of the many boardwalks on Malmö beach.

Mary

Practically Family
Shringking Violet, you must refer to Kallbadhuset. I think we have it in the background on some of the photos, but not of these that are shown here.

It's not white but mintgreen and white. Very beautiful. This is the homepage:

http://www.ribban.com/ if you want to see for yourself. Unfortunately you can't take photos there cause it's nudist bathing. Hmm maybe you could take some in the crowded café..

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe