Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Orange

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Oranges are probably the one fruit I eat most. But they have to be PERFECT to me. Here's what a perfect orange is for me:

Thick Skin, not too thin and not too soft.
Once pealed, dry outside, not juicy, wet, and sticky
Juicy inside, not wet and too soft that once you split it, it falls apart

What's your perfect fruit, vegetable or meal?

panamag8or

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Oranges are probably the one fruit I eat most. But they have to be PERFECT to me. Here's what a perfect orange is for me:

Thick Skin, not too thin and not too soft.
Once pealed, dry outside, not juicy, wet, and sticky
Juicy inside, not wet and too soft that once you split it, it falls apart

What's your perfect fruit, vegetable or meal?

Add in few or no seeds, and you just described a Satsuma. They are smaller than a regular orange, and most have no seeds. My step-dad grew up working in his family's citrus groves, and I always liked their Satsumas best. as a matter of fact, they lived near the town of Satsuma(as well as Seville, another type of orange) They aren't the best for juicing, but for eating, you can't beat 'em.

The family groves are gone now, but he still has some navels, valencias and satsumas in his yard.

I'm going to try some honeybell oranges when they come into season in January. I hear great things about them, and a local grove grows them.

That reminds me, I bought some red navels from them a few days ago. I think I'll go get one now.

Here is where I buy my citrus. They have been in continuous operation since 1936.
shop.jpg

The Orange Shop in Citra, Florida

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
With the addition of subtarcting the seeds, you two have described my idea of the perfect orange. :)

Lee

Me too. I love oranges as well. When I lived in Australia I was pretty keen on those big, juicy Queensland mangoes which weren't stringy at all. And I love nectarines and apples as well.

Vegetable - I love spuds, asparagus, cabbage, kumara and peas.

Meal - there's a few, curry, roast beef or pork, rype med viltsaus (grouse with game sauce), coq au vin, devilled sausages, eggs benedict, pasta with chicken, bacon and mushroom cream sauce.

EDIT: nearly forgot one of my favourite meals, freshly caught trout cooked in the coals of a fire in foil with butter, salt and pepper, great stuff!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
To me, the perfect orange is a clementine - juicy, sweet, easy (but not messy) to peel, and small enough to put in my purse.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Yes I agree with HFLG about the orange. I only eat them when I am in the mood. My favorite fruit is the NECTARINE!! yum I could eat them till I burst.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I like tangerines. I also like pomegranates. I like them big, almost squarish and really juicy. and my boyfriend is a BIG fan of the white grapefruit.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ada Veen said:
I also like pomegranates.

I like the taste of pomegranates as well apart from all the rigmarole with preparing the things. Nature's most labour-intensive fruit!

panamag8or

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
what about your perfect fruit in general?

Well, I think we know mine. As a matter of fact, I am sipping a tall glass of fresh-squeezed orange/tangerine juice over crushed ice (the only way), whilst watching my Gators successfully lead off their defense of back-to-back basketball titles.:)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Mutant Orange

Speaking of oranges, peeled apart this one and found a surprise.

Looks like a mad science experiment, trying to mix blueberries and blackberries with an orange to create a fruit.

mutantorange.jpg

Anybody seen something like this before? I don't know if it's spoiled or some rare fruit.

Flieger

Practically Family
I live in a part of the world where there's not possible to grow much fresh fruit (we get sour apples and that's it), so I have to give my vote to to the perfect berry instead. :)

Has someone here tried the 'Artic rasberry'? Jeez, my mouth water just thinking about it! The Latin name is "Rubus arcticus" and this little baby is far tastier then any orange, mango or pineapple I ever laid my tastebuds on. They grow in the wild here and can be eaten directly from the plant or made into a jam. Some people let them soak in vodka for a couple of weeks and get a liqueur to die for! Home-made ice-cream with this berry as flavor is heaven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_arcticus

/F

Josephine

One Too Many
Peaches are my favorite, and raspberries. I love the smell of a fresh peach. But I don't like peach or raspberry flavored things (tea, ice cream, cakes, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe