Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Feraud

Bartender
Guinness said:
What model Borsalino is this? It is a beautiful hat.
Thanks. It is a fine hat. Here are a few pics of the inside.
DSC06644.jpg

DSC06647.jpg

DSC06645.jpg

DSC06643.jpg

That is a fairly modern Open Road. You could probably get one in about the shape a renovation would put it in for what the renovation would cost you, if it isn't stained too bad. Seem to be too many nice vintages out there to spend the money here, IMHO...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane, That OR is just beginning to look lived in. ;) :)
You can get some Scout Felt Hat Cleaner (spray on) and clean it up. You spray it all over the felt, let it sit for 5 minutes or so until it forms a fine powder on the felt, and brush it off. This stuff works well.
It won't be perfect but you'll have a good working hat. You might even want to throw an Oreanna bash on it. I think that would be a good look for you.
Nice dog as well.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
I couldn't resist this one for the wife, as nobody else seemed to want it for $10.50 plus postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170293509388

A modern Resistol Beaver 100 Open Road style in Size 6 7/8 in new condition. A 2 3/4" brim and 4 7/8" crown. I steamed and stretched it to Size 7 for her. Now along with the high-end vintage Cavanaghs one of the best hats in our house. A buttery, dense yet lightweight felt nice to touch.

354625868.jpg

354625900.jpg

354625932.jpg

354625960.jpg

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Extremely nice hat there, I'd love to get my hands on a 100 at some point in the future. Actually Resistol is one brand of which I don't own any representatives.

N. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
toobacat said:
You mean you should use the dark Scouts on light colored hats?

Yes. I made the mistake of using the light on a silverbelly hat. It made the felt have an odd texture afterward, and dust from it came out of the hat for a long time.

Never had those problems with the "dark", even when I've used it on light colored hats.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Yes. I made the mistake of using the light on a silverbelly hat. It made the felt have an odd texture afterward, and dust from it came out of the hat for a long time.

Never had those problems with the "dark", even when I've used it on light colored hats.

Thanks for the tip.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Michaelshane said:
Is this worth repairing?

P1030970.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030971.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030972.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030973.jpg
[/IMG]

Interesting, that there are Borsalinos of the Open Road Style. I have not come across this particular style in European vintage hats in Europe. Where they made for export to the US?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dreispitz said:
Interesting, that there are Borsalinos of the Open Road Style. I have not come across this particular style in European vintage hats in Europe. Where they made for export to the US?

The Alessandria by Borsalino very much resembles the Open Road.
borsalino15.jpg

The hat that survived a vicious mauling at the hands of that adorable Goldie though was an Open Road.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
The Alessandria by Borsalino very much resembles the Open Road.
borsalino15.jpg

The hat that survived a vicious mauling at the hands of that adorable Goldie though was an Open Road.

Does it resemble in order to compete with Stetson on the US market? I am not sure if this Alessandria design was actualy an inicial italian design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld