Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Mike Alder

New in Town
How difficult is it to find an OR with a 2 7/8 or 3" brim? Most seem to hover around 2.5 or 2.75 inches. Oh, and if anyone has an OR in a 7 1/2 that needs a home at an affordable price hit me up.

Last edited:
I've never seen 3". The brim width of the Open Road in the 1950s was 2 7/8". They show up fairly regularly, though a nice example in 7 1/2 with an affordable price tag might make take a little looking.

Mike Alder

New in Town
I've never seen 3". The brim width of the Open Road in the 1950s was 2 7/8". They show up fairly regularly, though a nice example in 7 1/2 with an affordable price tag might make take a little looking.

That's what i thought. 2 7/8 was the max on an OR. He insists otherwise. I've heard of cutting the brim on a 3.5 rancher, but never a 3" OR. But so many years and special orders, almost anything is possible.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
How difficult is it to find an OR with a 2 7/8 or 3" brim? Most seem to hover around 2.5 or 2.75 inches. Oh, and if anyone has an OR in a 7 1/2 that needs a home at an affordable price hit me up.
I have all three brim widths of the OR, including one with a 2 5/8 brim. Here's one of my ORs, (below), with a 2 7/8 brim, vintage 1970s-1980s. I don't really care much for this one though. The sweat and the liner in this one are no where near the quality of the earlier vintage ORs. I'm guessing it was at a time when Stetson was licensing other hat makers like Akubra to make their ORs. But, ironically, as much as I dislike this hat, it's the one that gets the most positive comments when I wear it...and those comments come from women! One even approached me in a grocery store to tell she loved my hat! The hat's a babe magnet for sure! (I bet my wife looks at my hats a little differently now)! I dunno. Is it the hat that makes the man, or is it the man who makes the hat? Anyway, here's my smiling face wearing a 1980s vintage 4X OR with a 2 7/8 brim...

wqy8.jpg

3X OR 2.75 brim...

OR 3X 01 A.jpg

3X OR 2.5 brim

OR 3X short brim 02A .jpg

The OR I'm wearing in my avatar pic has a 2 5/8 brim.

Last edited:

Mike Alder

New in Town
I have a early 50's 3X OR with 3" brim. I also sold an OR with a 2" brim...

That's interesting and may explain his insistence. He still has his Dad's 100 and a bluish grey OR from the early 50's. He being tall and lanky, I can see why he would want a broader brim. I'm looking through the old catalogs on other FL threads. There do seem to be at least variants of the OR with 3" brims.

Dallashat

New in Town
Hi all i thought i would post some pics of my open road i picked up a couple of weeks ago. i don't think it was worn much.
late 40's or early 50's but not real sure, maybe some one on here knows better than i could.

IMG_0445_zps238c7ea3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0512_zpsf047f4cc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0511_zpsa8b2cb56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0509_zpsc4038c30.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0508_zpsf8434988.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0504_zps057627de.jpg
IMG_0506_zps067c8347.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hey Dallashat, welcome aboard!

That does look like a very pristine Open Road. Your guess at the age seems pretty good. According to the "Dating vintage Stetsons by size tag" thread those were in use from the 40's through the early 60's. Someone else may be able to tell you about the liner, which may narrow the age range. But you're in the ballpark.

Landman

One Too Many
Welcome Dallashat. That is a beautiful Open Road. I'm envious of your hat and your hat size! If you are going to start collecting hats you should be able to find a lot of beautiful hats in size 7. The larger sizes are much harder to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82