Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I just reshaped the crown on my OR, she's a beaut, but I may redo the ribbon. I am just not used to such a thin ribbon, it's throwing me off something fierce. [...]I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Leave the hat alone ... :cool:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Well I went and did it. Drove down to Delmonico's and bought a brand new Modern Open Road in Silverbelly for my Mother-in-law to give to me. I know it is not the same as the vintage ones but I wanted to keep it in the cattlemans crease anyway, but I do like it with the front snapped down. I tried on a bunch of Whippits too. I liked the quality of the felt and the look but they only had it in brown and I didn't need a new brown fedora. My brown Federation III fills that need real well right now. So I have my Open Road. Can't wear it until Christmas though.

Jeff

fmw

One Too Many
Congrats. Mine arrived from Delmonico today. I like it a lot. My wife's comment was "sheriff joe." I tried it with a snapped down brim and didn't care for it on me. So it's LBJ for me. I'll never make it as a hat connoisseur, I guess, because I rather like the stiff felt. Great hat. I'm not going to do anything with it other than wear it.

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Oh happy day! I just got my vintage OR from the hatter after getting cleaned, resized and fit with a new sweat band. AND I read another post about a tight hat fix and corrected the wavey, shrinking hat band in my modern OR. Gotta love this site!!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats. Mine arrived from Delmonico today. I like it a lot. My wife's comment was "sheriff joe." I tried it with a snapped down brim and didn't care for it on me. So it's LBJ for me. I'll never make it as a hat connoisseur, I guess, because I rather like the stiff felt. Great hat. I'm not going to do anything with it other than wear it.

I'm a Northern boy and in early years would always have steered around such a hat. But nowdays, for me in the hat zone, I like them. Bought one of them used on E Bay, all stiff, had the crown slightly tweaked from cattleman to center dent with pinches, and like it fine. Stiff, but it's a cool hat. Low crown, wide brim like I like, and it has that rakish and very he-man-like look to it that I wouldn't otherwise have. It attracts some attention, especially out East here, so that adds to its appeal to me. So wearing it, it's like another personality in a way, but one I like to step into.

fmw

One Too Many
Somebody asked how it looks with the brim snapped down. Here you go.

openroad.jpg

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
I'm a Northern boy and in early years would always have steered around such a hat. But nowdays, for me in the hat zone, I like them. Bought one of them used on E Bay, all stiff, had the crown slightly tweaked from cattleman to center dent with pinches, and like it fine. Stiff, but it's a cool hat. Low crown, wide brim like I like, and it has that rakish and very he-man-like look to it that I wouldn't otherwise have. It attracts some attention, especially out East here, so that adds to its appeal to me. So wearing it, it's like another personality in a way, but one I like to step into.
I love that last line, it really sums up my desire and purpose in wearing my Open Road...a personality "I like to step into".

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Somebody asked how it looks with the brim snapped down. Here you go.

openroad.jpg

Forgot to tell you your OR (LBJ to me :) ) looks good. That's how my father wore his when he wore one and how I'd do mine as well :) Tell your wife most "sheriff joe's" don't wear 'em with the brim snapped down in front :)

fmw

One Too Many
That's true. Your comment brings images of a homburg with a police badge pinned on the front. Maybe sheriff Joe should experiment a little.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have AN issue. Take this blasphemous discussion to another thread as this is the place where we CELEBRATE the Open Road not desecrate it with talk of changing one of its base elements!!!!!! Bartender!!!!!

Now, where I come from, such a reaction is just rude... I do not know if you noticed Sir, but I am fairly new to this forum, I have never owned an Open Road, or a Stetson for that matter. I asked for people's opinion politely and was give several rude responses. This is how you treat people who are wanting to understand more about hats? I really had higher expectations from the likes of you all. I expected Gentleman discussing the finer points of hats. You all disappoint me something fierce with such bombastic talk. I expect such behavior amongst other forums filled with children but not here, no not here.

A Merry Christmas to you all, my apologies for having injured your delicate sensibilities.

I will not post in your thread again.

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Relax Mr. V. The OR as you have noticed is a respected pedigree among many loungers. Maybe emoticons could have been used but are they really needed among friends. When we find one our interest tends to be more towards restoration rather than modification. In the end it's your hat do as you will. I will suggest you save the old ribbon for when you come to your senses.;) see I used one there.
Tom D.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Now, where I come from, such a reaction is just rude... I do not know if you noticed Sir, but I am fairly new to this forum, I have never owned an Open Road, or a Stetson for that matter. I asked for people's opinion politely and was give several rude responses. This is how you treat people who are wanting to understand more about hats? I really had higher expectations from the likes of you all. I expected Gentleman discussing the finer points of hats. You all disappoint me something fierce with such bombastic talk. I expect such behavior amongst other forums filled with children but not here, no not here.

A Merry Christmas to you all, my apologies for having injured your delicate sensibilities.

I will not post in your thread again.

Let's go with some Peace on Earth, here.

May I suggest, Mr. Vim, that an OR with the thin ribbon would be an excellent choice for where you are, as it is a western-style dress hat, and you are north and west . It would go well on you with a nice leather jacket for instance.

Mr. Dean has offered his counsel, but his hyperbole is just that and shouldn't be taken as a personal attack. He is no ogre.

You both are numbered among those here with whom I'd like to quaff a few good ales. :beer:

I don't play a judge on TV, but I am one, so you two "make nice !"

Or else ! :eeek:

Best wishes of the Season !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82