Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Viper Man

Banned
Royal Deluxe Open Road

Here's the auction photo of the cowboy hat I won a few weeks ago...

313271898.jpg

313271897.jpg

And here it is after a quick cleaning and shaping...

313271686.jpg

313271683.jpg

313271684.jpg

I'm pretty stoked about the thin ribbon, guys! This OR is my first.

Viper Man

Banned
Yee Haw! Thanks, Alan. I am still adjusting to the dimensions of this baby. I love the way it looks and it's the correct size but it just feels so big on me. The brim is 2 7/8" (roughly) and it's without question the widest I own.

Duck

Practically Family
Looks great, Viper. You, my friend have the unique knack to look great in a wide brim or a stingy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That is a fine talent to have.

MattC

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman--Open Crowns

KY Gentleman--

Prior to WWII, most hats came "open crown;" that is, they were only bashed when bought. You couldn't do that with a hat as stiff as today's Stetsons etc.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Viper ...

Your auction must have been for the twin sister of the hat I just recieved last week. It has exactly the same look and I had exactly the same reaction for my first OR ...
I totally dig the thin ribbon on it and can't stop wearing the hat everywhere ;)

Welcome to the club :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks for all of your comments & compliments everyone! Yes, I now understand the significance of the Open Road. It is definitely an iconic hat. My wife is not a fan, though. I'm afraid she prefers the look of a wider ribbon and doesn't care for the "country" vibe this hat exudes. [huh]

I cut the plastic out of the crown of the liner (I cannot tolerate the way it makes my head sweat) and I have been attempting to clean some small stains from the felt but I may just take it to Optimo in the near future for a cleaning and reblock. The left side of the brim in back curls up a bit too much for my tastes (I think it's because of the way it was haphazardly crammed into the box.) and I 'd like to have that addressed. Optimo is only about 45 minutes drive for me and I have been wanting to make the pilgrimage (I have another hat that needs the sweatband replaced) so it looks like I'll be heading there soon.

I am really impressed by how light weight the felt is and may consider this hat for warmer days. If there is interest, I'll try to get some more photos up of the liner, sweat, etc. soon.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
The left side of the brim in back curls up a bit too much for my tastes (I think it's because of the way it was haphazardly crammed into the box.) and I 'd like to have that addressed.

Viper Man -- the amount of curl in the brim is easily addressed with a bit of steam, in case you want to give it a shot yourself.

Cheers,
JtL

mingoslim

Practically Family
OR Mania . . .

As most of you know, I am a thin ribbon kind of guy . . . and I love my ORs and OR clones . . . So I have recently begun doing a photo array . . .

Here is the first installment - a 1954 Stetson Royal 3X in Chocolate Brown:

stetsonc1950royal3x01.jpg

stetsonc1950royal3x02.jpg

stetsonc1950royal3x03.jpg

I promise pics of my several (OK, a dozen or so) ORs and OR clones in the days ahead . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82