Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Frustration

scotrace said:
... ...I missed my first Open Road style (Resistol Kitten Finish) yesterday ... ...

That was one of three I was watching. I really wanted to bid on it, but e-mailed the seller twice to make sure the measurement was correct. The tag (visible in photos) said 7 1/2, but measured only 22 inches. No go, dang it.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
New OR: Patience Rewarded, or Impatience Punished?

I’ve been looking for a decent price on an Open Road in a 7 ½ or 7 5/8 for several months now. I won this one Monday and received it Thursday (yesterday), (pictures taken by me last night):

ORInBox.jpg

ORAlpine.jpg
ORAlpineProfile.jpg

It was advertised as “never worn”, and I truly believe it is NOS; it is in very, very good shape, except for the nibbles mentioned in my next post. The seller closed their western wear store in 1985, so this must be, at best, an early eighties hat.. Here’s the inside:

ORLabel.jpg
[/IMG]

Can anyone tell us why the gryphon is not included on the trademark on the sweat? I think I’ve seen some that do include it (some of Douglas’ older hats?).

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Nibbles and Quick Attempt at Rebash

(NOS OR received yesterday.) There are 2 nearly miniscule moth bites under the brim, near the sweat, and this one that is larger and noticeable near the brim binding in front (inside my crudely added black circle):

Divot.jpg

This hat is thinner and softer than I expected, but stiffer than I had hoped. I took the side dents out of the Alpine before wearing it yesterday evening; no steam. The tightest places at each end could still be seen if you were looking for them. (Kind of an odd center dent look, but I didn’t have time for steam and didn't want to wait! Sorry, no pics)

Here are the results of about 30 – 45 minutes of steaming and reshaping:

ORRebashedRibbon.jpg

ORRebashedFront.jpg

It is going to take a lot more steam, and maybe J.B.’s alcohol dunk to get this soft enough to really shape like I’d like it. We have no tea kettle, so I was just using a pot with a lid on it. I hope a tea kettle, with more concentrated steam will be a big help. I may take the hat to Levine Hat Co. in St Louis. They have a whole-hat-enveloping, open crown steamer.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you did a terrific job on that hat NewMex and it look great on you too.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Hey NewMexExpat, based on what I've learned over the months, that hat is not from the 80's, it should pre-date the 70's. My best understanding is that some time in the 70's, Stetson changed to a black leather sweatband. This also explains why the hat is flexible - they used more stiffeners in the felt of later Open Roads.

I'd say that's a 60's hat.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Good to hear.

Thanks for the good words, gents.

Pilgrim, I do remember reading something about the change to black sweats. Also the diamond pattern in the liner. (Trouble is, I don't remember exactly WHAT I read about either.)

I hope someone has an answer on the missing gryphon question.

Regards,

- Mark

The Duke

One of the Regulars
NewMexExpat said:
I‚Äôve been looking for a decent price on an Open Road in a 7 ¬? or 7 5/8 for several months now. I won this one Monday and received it Thursday (yesterday), (pictures taken by me last night):

It was advertised as “never worn”, and I truly believe it is NOS; it is in very, very good shape, except for the nibbles mentioned in my next post. The seller closed their western wear store in 1985.

I believe that's the same exact open road I won on ebay size 6 7/8 though.
it's on its way. I'll post pics when I receive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe