Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
GwenLake said:
These technically didn't get away, as they are too small for me.
boots.jpg

They went for $29.34.

Agh! Agony--those are beautiful.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
I can see these boots tramping through the jungle, riding down the Nile, hiking the Grand Canyon--always firmly attached to my feet. Alas, it's not to be.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Sterling and opal glass, the complete set. I so wanted it.
l_a04e68f4945c7990b764cd2d4f069e4a.jpg

I feel your pain on this one Miss 1929, what a beauty! and such a classic design..............I'm sure that you'll find another even more beautiful but I do sympathise. Jewellery is my weakness...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
There have been some interesting things on the 'bay lately; some interesting prices too. What think you, ladies?

e361_1.jpg

e976_1.jpg

Overalls $172

3858_1.jpg

Large size playsuit; I considered bidding on this when it was still in the double digits but it went for $255

rayonbees2.jpg

rayonbees3.jpg

Silky rayon with novelty honeybee pattern $93

55ea_1.jpg

40s WW2 British RAF Flight Nurse Womans Uniform Jacket. I've never seen one of these before. I love it but $435 seems steep.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Those prices! Aren't they just crazy!

The only piece that would have actually fit me was the playsuit, the rest were just things I liked that I had bookmarked so it isn't AS painful. Except for that honeybee dress--I love that thing!

I'm going to post some bee-you-tiful stuff in the "Someday I'll Copy..." thread. Things that truly smash my vintage loving heart into tiny pieces!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
There have been some interesting things on the 'bay lately; some interesting prices too. What think you, ladies?

e361_1.jpg

e976_1.jpg

Overalls $172

3858_1.jpg

Large size playsuit; I considered bidding on this when it was still in the double digits but it went for $255

rayonbees2.jpg

rayonbees3.jpg

Silky rayon with novelty honeybee pattern $93

55ea_1.jpg

40s WW2 British RAF Flight Nurse Womans Uniform Jacket. I've never seen one of these before. I love it but $435 seems steep.

I feel your pain! I was watching all of these, and I couldn't believe the prices that they went for!! Those overalls were heartbreaking!!!

I'm officially cursing all ebayers who bid on items way, way way before they are due to end. Don't these people realize that bidding early on an item drives the cost of said item up?? What's really infuriating is when they start bidding an hour before the end of the auction. So, the item that I'm watching which was once a decent price suddenly sky rockets. Don't they understand that if they wait til the last minute to bid, the price would stay a lot lower?? Yeah, it's taking a risk, because there is always someone else with a faster network. But, it really doesn't make a difference because what you are willing to pay determines the outcome in the end, and if someone is willing to pay more, then you won't win regardless of when you put your bid in. So, why drive up the price?? I knew those overalls were gonna go for a lot though. They are a rare commodity. When I finally figure out that fancy sewing machine I bought (it's now considered a piece of art in my condo, all shiny and new and never been touched!) I'm gonna try to make a pair just like them.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm officially cursing all ebayers who bid on items way, way way before they are due to end. Don't these people realize that bidding early on an item drives the cost of said item up?? What's really infuriating is when they start bidding an hour before the end of the auction. So, the item that I'm watching which was once a decent price suddenly sky rockets. Don't they understand that if they wait til the last minute to bid, the price would stay a lot lower?? Yeah, it's taking a risk, because there is always someone else with a faster network. But, it really doesn't make a difference because what you are willing to pay determines the outcome in the end, and if someone is willing to pay more, then you won't win regardless of when you put your bid in. So, why drive up the price??

Yeah, but as a sometimes seller, I LOVE the people who bid early & often... when I'm selling that is ;)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Not that I could afford it...

But I had this beauty on my watch list anyway, and boy, did the seller make a bundle when the auction ended. This dress went for $938.00. And yes, you read that right. :) lol
battenburg-main.jpg

What also kills me is that it is perfectly, perfectly my size. Oh, how I wish I had unlimited funds to spend on my every whim.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
These things will go for high prices regardless of when people bid, if more than one person really wants it.

You're right. I tend to bid early, rather than watch for a while, and always bid my highest bid. Then I enter it into my checkbook register at my highest bid. If I don't do it that way, I won't set aside the money to pay for it. Last week, I entered a max bid of $25 for a pattern and I got it for $5. No one else wanted it. The fact that no one else wanted it had no impact on what I was willing spend. Same with something I'm currently bidding on. My max bid is what I'm willing to spend, eventhough it's currently at $5.99 with 2 days to go. If someone else wants to spend more than my max bid, they can have it. I set aside the amount of my max bid and can't spend a penny more than that.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Exactly - so it doen't really matter if you bid early or last minute. If you have put the maximum you were willing to pay, then that's that!

And you hopefully won't forget to bid on things like I always do. I don't always bid as soon as I see it as I want to be sure that it is something that I really want and that I can afford it, as opposed to an impulse bid/buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe