Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

fenris

One of the Regulars
I was with my wife and her alumni organizing a charity event in an orphanage; we threw a party for 'em with clowns and magicians, gave 'em toys and junk food (of course we also gave 'em healthy food).

The founder of the orphanage was going around thanking all the organizers and when he got to me (I had my hat in my left hand), he shook my hand very firmly and said, "I like your hat. Very nice!"

I thanked him and smiled.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I went to one of the big vintage clothing fairs this weekend. We always dress to the nines when we go, and one of the vendors told my wife that she always looks forward to seeing us because we always look so sharp. :)

MattR

New in Town
When I wear my Bailey brown fur felt and brown Columbia jacket, i keep getting called indiana jones, not sure if this is good or bad, but I don't mind it.

Also my manager tells me "nice fedora" in a good way.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Lately, I've been noticing a surge in positive comments about my hats. It's as if more folks are either noticing it or becoming interested in hats in general.

A few days back, I had an older gentleman who runs an antique shop ask if I was wearing a Stetson, and what sort of felt it was. [I was wearing a Resistol beaver] We had a brief chat and I went on my way.

Randy

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually today a lady stopped me and complimented me on how beautiful the bakeite buttons on my blouse were, and how pretty the blouse was, which made my day. I then got a rather negative comment in my lunchbreak from some vulgar individual on the street, which made it a 'from the sublime to the ridiculous kind of day', c'est la vie!!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Actually today a lady stopped me and complimented me on how beautiful the bakeite buttons on my blouse were, and how pretty the blouse was, which made my day. I then got a rather negative comment in my lunchbreak from some vulgar individual on the street, which made it a 'from the sublime to the ridiculous kind of day', c'est la vie!!

That's how it goes some days! Sorry you had a negative comment, those are always rough, even if a person is thick skinned, it's not pleasant.

Normally, folks only speak up when they have something pleasant to say, I KNOW I've had some "snide looks" and then laughing as I get out [or so they thought] of earshot. Never a to my face nasty comment.

Randy

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
That's how it goes some days! Sorry you had a negative comment, those are always rough, even if a person is thick skinned, it's not pleasant.

Normally, folks only speak up when they have something pleasant to say, I KNOW I've had some "snide looks" and then laughing as I get out [or so they thought] of earshot. Never a to my face nasty comment.

Randy

that's been my experience too. Although I wonder if those "laughing as I get out of earshot" moments are just my own paranoia, expecting a particular group to have something clever about my appearance. Now, if I'm not addressed directly I assume it has nothing to do with me :)

MarkD

One of the Regulars
The way I see it, those that are laughing definitely have poor taste so it's their problem. I get looks as we all do but my hats look so good I am sure they are looks of admiration. And if they are not I believe they are and what I think about myself is what counts. Who cares what they think? I put on a fedora and it makes me feel great!

As for comments I get I can count the negative ones on one hand. The comments I do get are almost all complimentary or inquisitive.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks Theinterchange for the kind comment :)

I live in a small town and we have a lot of tourists, so it's par for the course during the tourist season that there will be some undesirables milling about. (They are in the minority thankfully). Over time i have developed the hide of a rhino as far as negative comments are concerned. As you guys said, it's just ignorance and lack of manners really to make negative personal comments about someones appearance, especially to complete strangers. I went to the school of "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all".

Duper

Practically Family
The local wine store

My wife and I were shopping for some wine for Thanksgiving dinner at a local wine retailer this past weekend. Thanksgiving in Canada was on the same day as Columbus Day in the U.S.

The young woman assisting us was wearing a black vintage fedora in an open crown style so I knew she must like hats. I was wearing my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.

When I went to the cash to pay she said she had been admiring the hat I was wearing. Then she went on to say "That is just an amazing hat".

I thanked her very much and we went on our way. An yes, it did feel good! :)

DesertDan

One Too Many
When people make a remark about my hat it is almost always positive.
I do occasionally get an "Indy" comment and when I do I look directly at the person, smile and say "That's Doctor Jones to you." to which they almost always smile or chuckle.

Erdaram

New in Town
I have a collection of perhaps 10 Churchill LTD (All Straw) feds. It doesn't matter which one I wear it seems like people always seem to want to address me as "Professor".... LOL. It might also have something to do with the 120 year old round spectacles and suspenders or maybe it's a combination of all three.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I got a "I really like your hat" from a lady supervisor at a McDonalds the other day - the Art Fawcett hat, of course (it's the only one I ever wear now, and that's been w/o exception since the day it arrived).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my Stetson St. Regis homburg out to my community college campus for the first time, I received at least three compliments on it. The first was from my old geography professor (who happens to wear hats often), she said she liked the hats I wear (I was complimented on my Federation once).

The second was not directly related to the hat, but more to my habit of wearing a G-1 leather jacket, chinos, and often a tie, lately. I think the homburg was noticed though. It was from a guy in the student lounge, he said something along the lines of "I like your style!"

The third compliment came while I was passing by outside, in light rain. Now bear in mind that I'm actually hearing impaired, but I heard the guy after he called for me a couple of times. I walked over there a bit confused, and he basically thought my style was "badass," and he knew me from wearing my "brown hat," as he said it. He had asked where I bought that one, I gave him a referral to HatsDirect.com, and we had a little chat about my vintage I was wearing too. I told him that I had paid about 120 dollars for it, and he told me that it should have been worth twice the amount.

Now I found that pretty odd, three compliments in a single day. Most of the time, I can go a single day without receiving any comments on whatever I happen to be wearing; be it a hat or the leather jacket... Anyway, this just made my otherwise ordinary day interesting. I think the Stetson had something to do with it all. :cool:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe