Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

I had an unusual incident the other day that I'll share. It was late one Friday afternoon and I needed a haircut. Since I don't have much hair left I don't really care who cuts it so I just stopped in one of those national haircut chains. I was wearing an old Open Road with a fedora bash. I was reading a magazine and waiting my turn. They called my name and I started walking to the back when this young girl (probably college age) steps out from one of the stalls. She was dressed like Marilyn Monroe in a white dress and had her hair and makeup done just like Marilyn. She even had a beauty mark on her face and looked exactly like her. I guess she was going to a costume party or was maybe in a play. We met in the hallway and she said "I love your hat." and just kept walking by me. I was so stunned I don't think I even replied. She looked so much like the real Marilyn the incident felt surreal. I probably responded the same way a man would have responded to a compliment from the real Marilyn Monroe!

Maybe it WAS the real Marilyn... Bwahhaahhaa

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I had an unusual incident the other day that I'll share. It was late one Friday afternoon and I needed a haircut. Since I don't have much hair left I don't really care who cuts it so I just stopped in one of those national haircut chains. I was wearing an old Open Road with a fedora bash. I was reading a magazine and waiting my turn. They called my name and I started walking to the back when this young girl (probably college age) steps out from one of the stalls. She was dressed like Marilyn Monroe in a white dress and had her hair and makeup done just like Marilyn. She even had a beauty mark on her face and looked exactly like her. I guess she was going to a costume party or was maybe in a play. We met in the hallway and she said "I love your hat." and just kept walking by me. I was so stunned I don't think I even replied. She looked so much like the real Marilyn the incident felt surreal. I probably responded the same way a man would have responded to a compliment from the real Marilyn Monroe!

Landman, For that moment, she was the real Marilyn.

Went to our local Chinese takeout last night with my brother-in-law. I was in a rush leaving the house and went hatless:eeek:. The young girl at the counter asked " Don't you usually wear a hat?" I said "Sure, I just forgot it tonight". She said "I thought something was missing". I pointed to my head and said "Well I'm missing some hair up here, too", to which she replied,
"Oh, I didn't notice". I thanked her effusively and exited with our food.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I know this is more or less in regards to what people may say to a person "out and about" in public, but I have to relate that some of the nicest comments I have had directed to me lately have been from the wonderful people here on the Lounge. That and to read all the things and to see the care that has been directed towards Carl and his Wife, Sandi. A lot of love, without a doubt....

Slevin

New in Town
Walking to meet a friend this afternoon and a woman passing on her bike smiled and shouted "dig the hat."

Made my day :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I forgot about this thread.
My music school (well, pretty much just the Music Theatre majors) has an awards ceremony called the "Benny's." I won the award for best dressed.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Last week, my friend told my boss that "He's bringing it back". He was referring to the fact that I always showed up to work in vintage style and that I was bringing back better dressing.

On the same day, a young customer (a really cute girl who looked like she was dressed as a flapper!) stopped me in the shop as I passed by and said: "I really like your outfit! It's fantastic!"

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I guest hosted a town hall meeting for my company about a week ago, they insisted I wear my Stetson onto the stage when I came up. A VP said " it's part of who you are and it's a very classy hat".

And an observation, have you ever noticed how some people smile as they approach you when you're wearing a hat? I love wearing my hats and if doing so brings a smile and a little shot of happiness to them, it's the least I can do.

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
My 1st post to this thread and I never thought I'd have the opportunity. I live in a little town called King's Lynn in the county of Norfolk in the UK, and, like most of the country now, it's a shabby place, but more especially, the people dress shabbily, especially the men. Most chaps look as if they have dressed in the dark with the contents of an Oxfam bag to tell the truth.

So, with that picture in mind I was instructed yesterday to accompany my long suffering wife to the local Asda supermarket. As a backlash to the aforementioned scruffiness of the general population I tend to overdress slightly for the occasion, even more so since I discovered this forum and bought myself an Akubra Stylemaster.

So of we went to Asda, me with a nice pair of beige pleated trousers, a brown waistcoat white shirt, bright yellow tie and a Harris Tweed jacket topped off with the Stylemaster. Into the supermarket and I'm parked with the trolley near the entrance when I notice a rather well dressed lady enter with what were clearly her daughters, both about 4 or 5. As they pass me one of the little girls tuggs at her mother's hand and mother stoops down so that the little girl can whisper to her. Then the mother straightened herself, and whilst walking past me said to her daughters "Yes, that man does look smart" Made my day!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
My 1st post to this thread and I never thought I'd have the opportunity. I live in a little town called King's Lynn in the county of Norfolk in the UK, and, like most of the country now, it's a shabby place, but more especially, the people dress shabbily, especially the men. Most chaps look as if they have dressed in the dark with the contents of an Oxfam bag to tell the truth.

So, with that picture in mind I was instructed yesterday to accompany my long suffering wife to the local Asda supermarket. As a backlash to the aforementioned scruffiness of the general population I tend to overdress slightly for the occasion, even more so since I discovered this forum and bought myself an Akubra Stylemaster.

So of we went to Asda, me with a nice pair of beige pleated trousers, a brown waistcoat white shirt, bright yellow tie and a Harris Tweed jacket topped off with the Stylemaster. Into the supermarket and I'm parked with the trolley near the entrance when I notice a rather well dressed lady enter with what were clearly her daughters, both about 4 or 5. As they pass me one of the little girls tuggs at her mother's hand and mother stoops down so that the little girl can whisper to her. Then the mother straightened herself, and whilst walking past me said to her daughters "Yes, that man does look smart" Made my day!

The best part of that story is the the little girl spoke quietly to her mother, not out loud.

There is hope for the future, even in scruffy King's Lynn :D

JAVIER

Practically Family
I got the usual this week... "nice hat", "now that's how men are suppose to dress", but my favorite was on May 15th this week "wow, you look just like your dad" you see the 15th of May it was 21 years since my dad was taken from us, we had a family and neighborhood gather in him memory to unveil a mural in his old bodega where he was tragically taken from us in 1991. RIP Dad.
photobucket-3698-1337567151259.jpg

The artist did finish the mural, and the fedora is completed, this was taken before the finished mural was unveiled.
photobucket-3594-1337567162743.jpg

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Javier, wow Deep story. He Must have been Highly Loved & Respected....& Too Have the Neighborhood remember your Dad in you.
Beautiful Mural ! Peace.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Javier, wow Deep story. He Must have been Highly Loved & Respected....& Too Have the Neighborhood remember your Dad in you.
Beautiful Mural ! Peace.
Thanks!
Dad was truly loved... a true gentleman with a big heart, he ran his bodega aka (mini-market, convenient store, corner store) like merchants of yesteryear; anyone who ever needed anything he would always help them out. The priest even told a story about Dad not allowing him to pay for anything he ever tried purchasing, Dad could not see himself charging a man of the cloak. At his wake and burial the Mayor of our city, along with local politicians attended, there was hundreds of cars at his procession. And till this day I run into strangers who stop me and reminisce about his good deeds. Obviously I got my love of fedoras because of him and his memory, it is how I will always remember him.

suits lover

A-List Customer
I receive a lot of comment about my hats, etheir felt or straw. Some said to me that I wear a real men hat, that I look dapper, look like a gentlemen or an actor from the old movie or a guy from the 50's. Sometime I have bad comments, but they come from people who sould I say are not very open-minded or polite and most of the time wear backward ball cap or hoodie...

I receive a lot of comment about my hats, etheir felt or straw. Some said to me that I wear a real men hat, that I look dapper, look like a gentlemen or an actor from the old movie or a guy from the 50's. Sometime I have bad comments, but they come from people who sould I say are not very open-minded or polite and most of the time wear backward ball cap or hoodie...

Yeah, that figures. They need to grow up and wear men's clothes. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82