Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Yeps said:
prep-school-bros.jpg

Usually in groupings of this type of preppie (Yuppie larval scum) there is at least one guy seriously refered to as "the Bradster" and lots of talk about wrecking dad's Porsche coming back from some party.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Usually in groupings of this type of preppie (Yuppie larval scum) there is at least on guy seriously refered to as "the Bradster" and lots of talk about wrecking dad's Porsche coming back from some party.

Just because dad paid for it doesn't mean it is his... it was a birthday gift, but he'll buy a new one.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just now, in a deli on Lenox Ave in Harlem, I was compared to Indiana Jones. I place the comment here because it was obviously meant as a very adminting compliment.
I was wearing my old gray Knox 20 beater, probably my favorite hat. Nice wide brim and wide ribbon, so I guess it's close enough.

Tiller

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Usually in groupings of this type of preppie (Yuppie larval scum) there is at least one guy seriously refered to as "the Bradster" and lots of talk about wrecking dad's Porsche coming back from some party.

lol Popped collar, multi shirts, headband, and sunglasses when it's obvious a night party. Yup looks like yuppie larval scum to me :p . The kind of people who aren't happy if they don't have the "right" wrist watch on, and most conversations start with "dude", or "Did you see that...".

LordBest

Practically Family
Is yuppie really the right characterisation? I was always taught yuppie meant 'young upwardly mobile professional individual', implying someone who works hard to improve their situation. Whereas the individuals in the photo are less upwardly mobile and more 'perpetually stupid and drunk'. Psad doesn't have quite the same ring to it as yuppie, I admit.

Tiller said:
lol Popped collar, multi shirts, headband, and sunglasses when it's obvious a night party. Yup looks like yuppie larval scum to me :p . The kind of people who aren't happy if they don't have the "right" wrist watch on, and most conversations start with "dude", or "Did you see that...".

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
Is yuppie really the right characterisation? I was always taught yuppie meant 'young upwardly mobile professional individual', implying someone who works hard to improve their situation. Whereas the individuals in the photo are less upwardly mobile and more 'perpetually stupid and drunk'. Psad doesn't have quite the same ring to it as yuppie, I admit.

When I hear Yuppie I think Patrick Bateman. But as these are 'yuppie larva' they would be the product of the '80s yuppeies.

I always thought it meant 'young urban professional', but that may just be a backronym.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Just now, in a deli on Lenox Ave in Harlem, I was compared to Indiana Jones. I place the comment here because it was obviously meant as a very adminting compliment.
I was wearing my old gray Knox 20 beater, probably my favorite hat. Nice wide brim and wide ribbon, so I guess it's close enough.

It probably was intended as a compliment, Dan. And :eek:fftopic:my mother used to live right off of Lenox Ave. in the '30s!

I went to school with Kids like this. Mommy and Daddy hand everything to them and they laugh when you don't drive a Hummer to school because you had to work at a store for 7.50 an hour to buy your car.

And yes, the parents are much to blame. These kids' parents are sitting there coddling them all through life. If I misbehaved, I got a whoopin, and worse than an immediate one was "wait until your father gets home" that's the worst kind of anticipation!

John in Covina said:
Many yuppies as parents tended to be enablers for bad behavior of their children and spoiled them incessantly in spite of being hard working themselves.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Your life in New York is different than mine here in Washington. I guess up there in the neighborhoods people feel free to make comments about a person and his appearance, which might both be annoying but also helpful. Getting immediate reaction about something you're wearing can be very illuminating. I've been corrected a few times around here about something particularly bad I was wearing, long ago, but it was really a favor. It reminds me of a Frank Sinatra book I had bought for my Dad ten or so years ago; there was a chapter on Frank's hats, he had 40 of them. There was a quote about how when he was young in Hoboken, New Jersey, he would wear a hat until someone knocked it off him. Then he learned to wear them so that nobody knocked them off him anymore. A style lesson, I guess.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
About 2 months ago, I was dropping something off at the post office. I was wearing my tan trench coat because it was raining that day, and my grey Dobbs fedora with the "Mario" swoop which was of course tilted on my head. When I got to the counter the woman working who was about 40-45 years old looked at me and said, "look at you, looking all Cary Grant like. You even have your hat tilted....well if your going to wear it, you gotta represent." She then smiled. I took it as a compliment.

My second quick story was in Feburary of this year and I was wearing my black overcoat with my Bailey grey stingy fedora. I walked by a man in his 50's and he looked at me and said, "Good Morning. Its nice to see at least one gentleman in the area." Then he kept walking. That made me smile.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
I was in KFC and a biker couple in front of me were ordering with their granddaughter. I was wearing navy slacks, a tan shirt and a caramel colour dobbs fedora. The little girl looked at me and turned to her grandmother and said, "That man is a cowboy." The lady turned and looked at me and said,
"Thats not a cowboy hat, thats a stylin' hat." I took it as a compliment. At least she knew it wasnt a cowboy hat.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Tiller said:

The offical term nowadays for this type of person is, and pardon my language, a douche. Kind of an ultra-modern American chav. There's even a book, "Hot chicks with douches" if you really want more examples of this type of person.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
I was taking the train home after my acting class and wearing my carbon gray fedora, woolen gray long coat and scarf. This cute girl sits opposite me and gives me a smile. I smile back and look away but notice she's still staring. She says "I have never seen anybody pull off that look so well before. You're gorgeous."

She gives me her number and hopes to see me again soon.

Go me! :)

whaleomelette

New in Town
i get comments on my hats all the time, today some one told me i looked like a 40s film/burlesque star,
and everyone is always staring at me, not always for nice reasons, iv been spat on several times!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Lark said:
I was taking the train home after my acting class and wearing my carbon gray fedora, woolen gray long coat and scarf. This cute girl sits opposite me and gives me a smile. I smile back and look away but notice she's still staring. She says "I have never seen anybody pull off that look so well before. You're gorgeous."

I guess in some shape or form that is the ultimate point of the whole exercise. Good to see it works, vicariously.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
The Lark said:

Now THAT is a great story! Lets some of us live vicariously through success stories like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe