Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

LordBest

Practically Family
trailrunner said:
No need to get bent out of shape, my post was meant teasingly. I am aware of the meaning and use of "Old Boy", but regardless of what you mean how you phrase something can make it something else entirely. In addition, you may take into consideration that those who do not automatically assume negative connotations for the word are most often those to whom the word is not being applied.;)

Edited for a bit a clarity.

Not to worry, I am not getting bent out of shape, merely clarifying what I meant in case I had inadvertently caused offense. You are quite right too, it is easy for me to use the word old affectionately at age twenty three. Unfortunately I grew up with it being used around me, in the books I read and in the television I watched so it is rather ingrained.

Goose.

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
An Old Boy is just a Young Man right? Sounds like a compliment to me! :D
Yeah, I felt "old" when I read that too but didn't GAS. What the hell, I am "old" to some. Just glad to be on this side of the grass every day that God blesses me with. Didn't "bug" me. Maybe "ol' boy"? Dunno. That's my two centavos. No linguists or attorneys need reply.

Carlisle Blues said:
...One guy said I just needed a cigar and I could pass for a drug dealer. Well the wine was flowing and the debate got a bit heated until it was decided that I was "The Most Stylish Man in Town". lol lol lol lol

The reality ... it is one very nice thing for a woman to give a compliment......IT is entirely another thing for a bunch of men to sit around and actually discuss how stylish you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing missing: Goose was not there.:(
Ha Ha HA! All I can picture is a group of wine tipsy gents discussing your looks and you got better and better looking the closer it got to closing time lol

As for my being there, yeah, I like fun gigs but what a nice thing for you to write Carlisle Blues. I am definitely not a wine drinker myself. A beer or two (I don't count) will do. It would've been a blast. I could've gotten all beered up and you'd be my designated driver...unless you ended up being raffled off :eek:

ANYWAY, today, raining. Wore my Fed IV Black. A gent at my watering hole (whom I've never seen before) stated that my hat was the nicest hat he'd seen anyone in town wear in the rain. Stated also that on any day, that hat would look good on me. Some other guy said, "yeah, if he were robbing a bank". :(

525829525_igVSh-S.jpg

Goose, you reminded me of a tune by Mickey Gilley that I heard today haha.

I get a lot of comments from older folks about how happy they are to see that some younger guys are still concerned about their appearance and grooming. I had a fellow come up to me just today and say "You must have seen a picture of how I wore my hair in about 1960, that's great that you're keeping the tradition alive, son"

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha Ha HA! All I can picture is a group of wine tipsy gents discussing your looks and you got better and better looking the closer it got to closing time lol

As for my being there, yeah, I like fun gigs but what a nice thing for you to write Carlisle Blues. I am definitely not a wine drinker myself. A beer or two (I don't count) will do. It would've been a blast. I could've gotten all beered up and you'd be my designated driver...unless you ended up being raffled off :eek:

ANYWAY, today, raining. Wore my Fed IV Black. A gent at my watering hole (whom I've never seen before) stated that my hat was the nicest hat he'd seen anyone in town wear in the rain. Stated also that on any day, that hat would look good on me. Some other guy said, "yeah, if he were robbing a bank". :(
Nice lid fed looks great in black.

525829525_igVSh-S.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha esay there big fella. I wanted you there for protection. If not for protection then just to have a blast. I am still laughing my butt off from the dinner. Happens every month. lol lol

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Duggap....a good question!...I wear one of those stickers that says "Hi, I'm Colby Jack!" and then wave it about so others can see me....:D :D :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I paid one to someone today. I was sitting on a bench in the park, enjoying moments of sunshine and moments of cloudiness. I was wearing a black two piece pinstripe suit, a grey tie and the hat in my avatar. I wouldn't usually be so smartly dressed but I was in company of a friend and she said she'd like me to wear a suit (when I asked her beforehand whether she prefered me to wear casual clothes or a suit).

A couple went past me who were handing out leaflets for a concert to people. The man was wearing a black leather blazer and a dark brown/black stingy brim fedora (but with the front down unlike many modern hats). As he passed me a leaflet I told him that I liked his hat, reasoning that it could only be taken positively as I wore a hat myself and could therefore only be complimenting him and not be seen as sarcastic. He then thanked me and said he liked my outfit.

I find that compliments can occaisionally come across as sarcastic, if they're from youths in hoodies for example. But if they're from hatwearers it can only be taken one way, as a hat wearer has the right to compliment the headgear of others IMO.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
from our Music Pastor...

I wore my blk/whit/red outfit with the big straw hat to choir practice Thursday evening. He said, "You look great. I'm think that's your best outfit yet."
362986341.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
...Hahahaha esay there big fella. I wanted you there for protection. If not for protection then just to have a blast. I am still laughing my butt off from the dinner. Happens every month.
Oh, and here I thought you wanted to hang out.
sad-smiley-046.gif
Now I learn it's a contract gig. That's cool, my Service Agreement requires meals and open bar lol ;)

Avedwards, nice post. I've payed it forward in the realm of compliments, though perhaps not enough. Last time was when I went to the University to have lunch with my daughter (interesting in that "lunch" get togethers happen more often when it's time to buy books :rolleyes: ), I noticed more students wearing "hats" this time than caps. Mostly stingy brims, but fedoras nonetheless. One API (asian pacific islander) student I saw was wearing a nice fedora as opposed to those wearing the theatrical/costume store type. I was wearing a lid and an aloha shirt (standard attire for me). We did the eyebrow lift gig (common "hello" in Hawai'i towards males only). I said, "that is a great looking hat". He turned back towards me with a smile and shaka. That was twice that a trade of respected congeniality occurred at her campus regarding lids...there is hope for our future.

Ha Ha, funny about CJ not being recognized without a hat. I get that too.
But I guess I should post this pic in the "Too Much Crown" thread lol :p

230927891_hKsJX-Ti.jpg
chanteuseCarey said:
Being called "a corker" is a compliment, right?
Phil. 4:8 back at ya...

Was wondering too CC. Thought we might be heading down the "old boy" trail again...so I looked it up; "somebody striking".
Given that definition, I agree...you're a corker ;)

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
I really enjoy this thread. I am pretty new to the hat thing and I have yet to receive any compliments. In fact, it is more just the odd stare or giggle. I know it is just more of a confidence thing, so it is great to see all the other positive compliments.

duggap

Banned
Today I took lunch at a cafeteria. I usually set my hat on an empty chair. A man was leaving and stopped at my table to say I had a really beautiful hat. He asked if it came from around here. I told him about Art. I was wearing my Jazzman by Art Fawcett. That Art fellow sures gets the positive comments.;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I was sitting waiting for my Italian class to start this morning (I got there rather early), wearing one of my 40s 3-piece suits, with my fedora on the table in front of me, and when he walked in the teacher said "Ciao! Oh my, outrageous elegance!" I'm not sure what was different today, I've worn suits to class on many occassions over the last year, eliciting an occassional "Eleganza". It's all good lol

ortega76

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I was sitting waiting for my Italian class to start this morning (I got there rather early), wearing one of my 40s 3-piece suits, with my fedora on the table in front of me, and when he walked in the teacher said "Ciao! Oh my, outrageous elegance!" I'm not sure what was different today, I've worn suits to class on many occassions over the last year, eliciting an occassional "Eleganza". It's all good lol

Perhaps the teacher's senses were assaulted by an overwhelming tide of vulgarity and you were a refuge of good taste on this particular day?

Trimen1000

New in Town
Just happened today. Very simple.

I was was wearing an Akubra Wentworth (ya, not a fedora) at school and someone passing by just said "nice hat", which was nice to hear.

rrog

A-List Customer
I was wearing my Fed IV while making visits at the hospitals one day. I usually wear it while walking down the halls and on the elevator. I was on the elevator and two over-60ish-looking ladies got on and I immediately took my hat off, smiled and said hello. One of them said, "My, look how polite you are, taking your hat off when ladies are present. I don't see that much anymore. Thank you very much." That flattered me enough, but as we got off the elevator and went our separate ways, I heard the same lady ask the other one how long it's been since she's seen someone that polite. Her comments were directed more toward my hat etiquette rather than to my hat, but I liked it anyway. My Fed IV didn't fit my big, fat, swollen head the rest of the day!

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld