Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most horrible remake ever to be made

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
Makes me ill looking at that list of potential movies. Some are OK and open to a re-make, but some seem so attached to the time of their original release that I can't see how it will fit.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
Plus any TV show made into a movie just shouldn't happen. I like Tom Selleck's stand on Magnum PI.
"I tell you what worries me -- because I love "Magnum" and we have loyal fans -- is they take these TV show titles, and they buy them and they spend $100 million on special effects, and then they make fun of them and trivialize it. Then they try and get the actor who used to be in it to do some ridiculous cameo to prove to the audience that it's OK. And I will not do that.”

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I heard they were remaking Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Nobody mentioned Ladykillers yet?

I should hope no one was nearsighted enough to actually remake Plan 9; that would be most unfortunate. It would be impossible to either mimic or recreate the charms of that film.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
And yet, it was still better than The Nude Bomb. shakeshead

When that came out I went to see it in the theater. I was excited for a reunion of the Get Smart cast. I accidently walked into the theater showing the Gong Show movie, realized my mistake and ran to the correct one. After seeing the movie I so wished I had just stayed with the Gong show movie.

Cobden

Practically Family
Is it just me or is Russell Brand, heinous trodge wallogger that he is, in every other one of the remakes on that list?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Although it wasnt a great movie, and had almost nothing to do with the original, the remake of The Italian Job sparked my interest in getting a MINI Cooper.

Come to think of it, when I 'watch' it, I usually just go to the scenes of the cars doing their thing.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
From Wikipedia "The Lone Ranger"
Future Lone Ranger film
In March 2002, Columbia Pictures announced their intention to make a Lone Ranger film with Classic Media, who owned the film rights at the time. Husband and wife producers Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher joined the project. The tone was to be similar to The Mask of Zorro, and Columbia suggested that Tonto be re-written as a female love interest. The projected budget was set at $70 million.[12] In May 2003, David and Janet Peoples were hired to write the script.[13] By January 2005, the Peoples script was rewritten by Laeta Kalogridis, with Jonathan Mostow to direct.[14]

The Lone Ranger languished in development hell. In January 2007, The Weinstein Company was interested in purchasing the film rights from Classic Media.[15] However, the deal with The Weinstein Company fell through, and Entertainment Rights eventually optioned the property. By May 2007, producer Jerry Bruckheimer (alongside Entertainment Rights) set The Lone Ranger up at Walt Disney Pictures. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, who worked with Bruckheimer and Disney on the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, were being considered to write the script.[16] In late March 2008, Elliott and Rossio were in final negotiations.[17] Disney then announced in September 2008 that Johnny Depp would be portraying Tonto.[18]

The Elliot/Rossio script had a supernatural tone,[19] and has since been rewritten by Justin Haythe.[20] In May 2009 Mike Newell, who was then directing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time for Bruckheimer and Disney, entered negotiations to direct The Lone Ranger.[21]
However, Bruckheimer explained the following June that he wanted to wait on hiring a director until Newell completed Prince of Persia, and until Depp finished filming Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. "The priority is most definitely Pirates 4," Bruckheimer commented. "They are going to cast the title role once they get a director and Disney greenlights. We don't have a director yet."[22] In September 2010 Gore Verbinski was hired to direct. Filming will begin after Depp finishes Dark Shadows.[23]

I bolded a statement in the first paragraph that shows the mindset of the movie industry. I'm not sure Tontette would be all that bad in addition to Tonto, but you can't really delete an icon and call it the same thing. Glad they came to their senses and hired Depp as Tonto.

the snake's hips

New in Town
Worst remake ever: The Wicker Man. How could anyone even think of trying to remake a one-off classic of creepiness like that????

Oh, man. That was just so... epically bad. So terrifically, confusingly, missing the point-ingly bad. Like, I don't know what they were smoking, but I am hoping the have ceased production of whatever it actually was.

I submit The Stepford Wives. Just baffling. And, again--it didn't just miss the point of the original, but it really just sort of spit on the the point of the original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust