Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi SheBear. My middy is the 4 incher as well so that I could learn vintage hairstyling (a super helpful book, btw). I did a wet set with velcro rollers last tuesday for The Contessa style. It was wild on Tuesday but after checking the how to keep a set thread, I pin curled it up every night and here is how it looks today (pardon the robe and complete lack of make-up.I'm still on my first cuppa joe).

4548001907_b330032c8f.jpg

It's not only very Ava Gardner, but also my mom (who's 76). Mom recently sent me some early days photos and it's totally the hairstyle she and her sisters rocked back in the day.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Tenuki, that looks great! I will have to read through how to keep a set, I wet set mine which comes out great the next day, then I hit it with a curling iron the day after.

SheBear74

Practically Family
This may not be traditional, but we are going to Monster Jam tonight lol. I wanted to have pig tails, so after playing around a bit this is what I came up with. :)

DSCN3340.jpg
[/IMG]

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
SheBear, That is too cute.

So, is the back in pig tales, then? Trying to figure out what you've got going on back there. I LOVE that look!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Wire9Vintage said:
SheBear, That is too cute.

So, is the back in pig tales, then? Trying to figure out what you've got going on back there. I LOVE that look!

I just put in two really low pig tails with elastics.

DSCN3344.jpg
[/IMG]

FaintlyMacabre

I did it!

But now I can't figure posting pics here. Do I HAVE to have them posted on another site and then insert the url in my msg here? I can't just insert them directly from my hard drive?

SheBear74

Practically Family
FaintlyMacabre said:
But now I can't figure posting pics here. Do I HAVE to have them posted on another site and then insert the url in my msg here? I can't just insert them directly from my hard drive?

I believe you have to have them posted else where. I have mine on photobucket, then I highlight the img code and put it in here.

FaintlyMacabre

Ok, here goes...

I hope they post ok...first time.
Apologies if they are not very clear. They are actually stills grabbed from the video I shot which will be eventually posted on my YouTube channel. I followed C-Dot's instructions.
GrabbedFrame2.jpg

GrabbedFrame3.jpg

GrabbedFrame4.jpg

I'll post pics of the first finished do next.

Marla

A-List Customer
Your haircut looks perfect, FaintlyMacabre! How were you able to get it cut so even throughout? I read C-dot's instructions but chickened out before I did any real damagelol

SheBear74

Practically Family
FaintlyMacabre said:
I think it was a combination of her great (genius, even) instructions and my good luck! I've never cut more than my bangs or the top portion of my hair way back when.
Finished 'do':
GrabbedFrame7.jpg

GrabbedFrame6.jpg

Very very pretty!!!

FaintlyMacabre

Tenuki said:
I've been half-assed vintage for quite some time, but since finding the FL, I'm inspired by all of you to go all assed vintage.

OT I guess, but Tenuki I love this line and I think you should use it as your signature!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
What an interesting thread!Excellent tutorial C dot,great job!I don't think i have the guts to cut my own hair but at least this info will enable me to explain it to a hair dresser.
Shebear ,that looks beautiful,i would also luv to see a pic of how you set your rollers,please?
All of u ladies look totally gorgeous ,you are truly inspiring:) thankyou:eusa_clap

SheBear74

Practically Family
Mrs Cleaver said:
What an interesting thread!Excellent tutorial C dot,great job!I don't think i have the guts to cut my own hair but at least this info will enable me to explain it to a hair dresser.
Shebear ,that looks beautiful,i would also luv to see a pic of how you set your rollers,please?
All of u ladies look totally gorgeous ,you are truly inspiring:) thankyou:eusa_clap

Thanks :) I am still trying to figure the best way to curl lol. I used hot rollers that day. I washed it the night before put in a little mousse, let it air dry then put hot rollers in the next day. On top I face 2 medium sized towards the back then the rest I used the small and face down. I tried pin curls again last night, and still didn't get it right lol. I tried to brush and brush, but it was still horrible so I washed it all out, and am sporting a Hepburn inspired look today (the short do that she had) since I wasn't going to try to curl it all again. Please note I said inspired lol since I know I look more like Jimmy Durante than I do Audrey Hepburn ;)

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
[/IMG]

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
You do not look like Jimmy Durante!That style looks even lovlier than the others,very pretty!:)
Faintly Macabre,yours is just gorgeous too,that middy cut is really working for u.Did you use rollers or pins?

FaintlyMacabre

@ Shebear - NO, you do NOT look like Jimmy Durante! Funny. But I know where you're coming from. I think that up against "Audrey" We'd all feel like Mr. Durante.
@ Mrs.Cleaver - Thank you! I used a sponge/rag curler that time. (Took the plastic frames out of the sponge rollers and threaded some "rag" strips through them. I heard about it here.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe