Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The man from U.N.C.L.E. is being made into a movie

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. There's no way that this can be done now as a film and capture the cool fun of the mid-60s spy craze that we youngsters of the time experienced. The original show itself hasn't aged very well (it seems cheap, silly, and formulaic now), and just making a contemporary action flick replicating the catchphrases and gimmicks isn't going to work. Youngsters have no memory of the old series, and those of us recall it fondly probably won't even see the movie...

That is, unless it's done as a period piece set in the 60s with some level of clever now-vs.-then observations included. (Those lame Fantastic Four movies should have been done this way!) Alas, I'm sure they're not aiming for anything that intelligent...

Face it, EVERYTHING is going to be remade (sometimes REPEATEDLY!), but most of it will utterly miss what made the originals successul in their day. Creative bankruptcy rolls on...

Hondo

One Too Many
I also agree, the remake of "Get Smart" was so awful I could NOT watch it all,
It was stupid and lame, glad Don Adams is not here to witness :mad:

LocktownDog said:
Ugh. Hollywood is ruining all of my childhood memories. :mad:

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
This has been in development hell for years. The one bright light was that Kick-Ass and Layer Cake director Matthew Vaughn was interested. I talked to him last month in Austin, TX and he says he's out because of problems with the script. If it gets made may depend on the public reception of "The Green Hornet." If it tanks, it may take UNCLE with it.

My fear it will be a "parody" piece like that AWFUL "I Spy" movie with Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doctor Strange said:
Face it, EVERYTHING is going to be remade (sometimes REPEATEDLY!), but most of it will utterly miss what made the originals successful in their day. Creative bankruptcy rolls on...
Sadly, I wholeheartedly concur.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps theyll get ultra-campy with it, a la the Starsky and Hutch remake with Stiller and Wilson. I knew itd be stupid, but I liked the car, and Id heard that Glazer and Soul would make cameos, so I liked it for at least that.

Hondo

One Too Many
OOPs! Sorry got lost on train of thought, just thinking of remake of "Get Smart" pissed me off :rage:
I enjoyed "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." in the 60s, it was great show that followed all that James Bond stuff, gadgets, I had the toy camera that changed into a hand gun, plus badges from the Man from UNCLE. :)
Two main characters: Napoleon Solo, Russian agent Illya Kuryakin, throw in "The Girl from UNCLE, April Dancer , who got her own show, but Solo & Kuryakin were great memories, US & Russian working together, long before Russia dropped The Cold War, an amazing show, I wonder how bad the remake will be.

Hondo said:
I also agree, the remake of "Get Smart" was so awful I could NOT watch it all,
It was stupid and lame, glad Don Adams is not here to witness :mad:

Hondo

One Too Many
Fictitious secret international law-enforcement agency called U.N.C.L.E.
(the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement). :)

And the remake has a comedy director?
Something stinks here...

Bruce Wayne said:
What does U.N.C.L.E. stand for, anyways? [huh]

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Levallois

Practically Family
I HATE this idea. One of my favorite shows of all time. Just the thought of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in the leads takes away my will to live.

Fingerstyle

New in Town
I agree. Crazy, unworkable idea. Can't they just leave well enough alone?? That ship has sailed. It has been interesting to see what the original guys have been doing since then: Robert Vaughn with his various movie roles (and now those ads for law offices....yeesh), and David McCallum doing a fine job as Dr. ("ducky") Mallard on NCIS.

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
Doctor Strange said:
Agreed. There's no way that this can be done now as a film and capture the cool fun of the mid-60s spy craze that we youngsters of the time experienced. The original show itself hasn't aged very well (it seems cheap, silly, and formulaic now), and just making a contemporary action flick replicating the catchphrases and gimmicks isn't going to work. Youngsters have no memory of the old series, and those of us recall it fondly probably won't even see the movie...

That is, unless it's done as a period piece set in the 60s with some level of clever now-vs.-then observations included. (Those lame Fantastic Four movies should have been done this way!) Alas, I'm sure they're not aiming for anything that intelligent...

Face it, EVERYTHING is going to be remade (sometimes REPEATEDLY!), but most of it will utterly miss what made the originals successul in their day. Creative bankruptcy rolls on...

I dont know, "The Helicopter Spys" was a pretty good film based on the Man from UNCLE characters

CharlieB

A-List Customer
When I was a kid, this show was in production. At a local carnival I won an "official" Man from U.N.C.L.E gun (pistol with barrell extension, bipod, stock and scope) plus a badge and ID card. I still have it (sans stock, bipod and scope).

The cool thing about then was the law requiring the little orange barrell thingy did not exist, so it looked more realistic (albeit in platic) than any toy guns today (not considering airsoft, shich are kind of in between toys and BB guns).

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Update since 2010

Tom Cruise? Out.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/hen...will-replace-tom-cruise-in-the-man-from-uncle

George Clooney? Out.
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/1798...z-burns-talks-about-the-man-from-uncle-remake

As for the The Man from U.N.C.L.E. casting, filming will get underway on September 9 with Guy Ritchie at the helm. A new take on the popular 1960s television series, the film will star Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) as Napoleon Solo opposite Armie Hammer (The Lone Ranger) as Illya Kuryakin.

Set against the backdrop of the early 1960s, at the height of the Cold War, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. centers on CIA agent Solo and KGB agent Kuryakin. Forced to put aside longstanding hostilities, the two team up on a joint mission to stop a mysterious international criminal organization, which is bent on destabilizing the fragile balance of power through the proliferation of nuclear weapons and technology. The duo's only lead is the daughter of a vanished German scientist, who is the key to infiltrating the criminal organization, and they must race against time to find him and prevent a worldwide catastrophe. Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Debicki, Harris and Hugh Grant co-star.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is looking to hit theaters in 2014

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/jared-harris-joins-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-and-poltergeist-remake/

Casting Calls now in London

A casting call has gone out for people who have pre-1965 era automobiles to appear in the film with their car, for a memorable and iconic scene involving Grand Prix racing. The film is based on the 1960's NBC television series of the same name. Principal photography will take place in England, as well as Rome and Naples in Italy.

http://www.extra-casting.com/2013/09/casting-calls-for-warner-bros-pictures.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld