Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lounge's CORNER BOOTH ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:
Well I might fit here at the corner booth. I'm rather comfortable with the level of equality amongst races, men/women, handicapped and "classes" and with the direction we are continually moving towards more equality in those regards. I love the clothes, the architecture, the music etc. But I also like there only being one water fountain for all to share. Ever read the classifieds in the old papers? "White Only" and "White or Colored" in the help wanted ads are two of the most chilling phrases to me. We might have lost decent fashion in the march of progress but at least we are rid of that (or closer to rid of it).

Matt

I see people as individuals. I see Race as descriptions, not a caste system. Political correctness is a joke, I think people are starting to get over it. Case in point, I used to introduce my Black Friend as, "My Black Friend" he thought it was funny, since we both watched "Colbert Report" Well, some gal says "Thats racist, he's an "African American!" To which my friend replies "I'm a Black/Irish/Indian American, am I carrying a spear? Am I wearing a lion pelt? Why would you think I'm African!" To me THAT's equality, when you can just lay what you want to say on the table with no tip toeing around political correctness.

Same Black friend, knew more about the poor Treatment of the Irish Immigrants than I did, and thought they were treated worse! This is coming from a guy that actually has a Gov't issued reparations card. (Of which I learned MORE interesting history about that!)

I think it's odd that in American public schools, we only REALLY learn about racism in our home country for two time periods. A short period in the 1800's and again in the 1960's. When in reality, there was lots of "White on White" racism also!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Madcap72 said:
I see people as individuals. I see Race as descriptions, not a caste system. Political correctness is a joke, I think people are starting to get over it. Case in point, I used to introduce my Black Friend as, "My Black Friend" he thought it was funny, since we both watched "Colbert Report" Well, some gal says "Thats racist, he's an "African American!" To which my friend replies "I'm a Black/Irish/Indian American, am I carrying a spear? Am I wearing a lion pelt? Why would you think I'm African!" To me THAT's equality, when you can just lay what you want to say on the table with no tip toeing around political correctness.

Same Black friend, knew more about the poor Treatment of the Irish Immigrants than I did, and thought they were treated worse! This is coming from a guy that actually has a Gov't issued reparations card. (Of which I learned MORE interesting history about that!)

I think it's odd that in American public schools, we only REALLY learn about racism in our home country for two time periods. A short period in the 1800's and again in the 1960's. When in reality, there was lots of "White on White" racism also!

Hey! I have a "Black Friend" also. Actually we joke with him that he's the whitest Black man we know. Truth is he just has a better sense of personal style, grooming and general neatness of his attire AND his household, car, belongings etc then most everybody I know, black, white or purple. Howard is actually Jamaican, his wife is a red head. It looks like they have overcome prejudices. As for me. I'm part Italian and part Jewish.

Matt

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I certainly belong here, though maybe in the corner, because while I like the music, I like today's music more ;)

I'm kinda with MBH on this one too. And while I know some of you feel the need to be immersive, I have no problem cruising down the road in fedora, loop collar shirt, high waisted slacks while listening to The Subways at maximum volume. It's all good.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Clearly there is some commonality that brings each one of us here. I started coming here due to my fascination with hats. I was not aware of the historical perspective offered on the Lounge prior to my being here.

I do not truly enjoy every single aspect of "vintage", but, I do appreciate the offerings and viewpoints provided here.

Not only has my knowledge base grown, but, I have changed a couple of viewpoints in the process.;)

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I, for one, think the 20's-50's has so much style and character; thats why we are all here. We all like to dress vintage, would drive vintage if we could, and at one time discussed having our own "vintage" town. We all love the music, clothes, architecture, cars, trains, etc from the bygone era.
We all live in the modern world, though. I have reenacted 4 different time periods myself, and believe we can all find a wonderful balance between the two.

Just my .02 cents. Now someone buy get me a bourbon....

Pete

Foofoogal

Banned
This is vague, problematic, likely political and religious, and otherwise impolite table talk. I'll stay at the bar while you work things out.

I don't understand this room. [huh] :(
and it could not of come at a worse time IMHO.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm definitely a very liberal/libertarian type, and as much as I may love the style, craft, and artwork of the past, I prefer the more enlightened present.

A fascination with the past doesn't always include a conservative viewpoint - or hardcore religious views, a devotion to firearms, a self-righteous sense of superiority, etc. - but I see plenty of that here. There's a good chunk of this board with whom I clearly have very little in common except an interest in the old days.

So yes, I think I'll squeeze into that booth.

Foofoogal

Banned
talk about discrimination and then doing it is very strange indeed. I think we all have got along swell mostly so I am quite stunned really.
I don't really have the strength anymore to go around this bush again.
Do we need a conservative room?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
told ya.

Though i belong in this corner, it's really the liberal side of the room. The word "modern" is being used in place of the word "reasonable", which is often used in opposition to the word "traditional" in political debate. For example, I prefer a modern (reasonable) approach to [family values, race relations, religion in schools, etc.] over a traditional one. It's a pretty quick way to set up "us vs. them" and, with the "corner" part, sounds like a fight.

If you're looking for a thread to discuss modern music, why not start a thread called Broken Phonograph.* A thread about odd medical practices could have its own thread, and so on. It's too much for one thread to take on the ideal of vintage vs. the goals of the modern day.

*Of course, all of the threads on anything modern were wiped-out in the Great Lounge Crash of 2008, and replaced with the maxim that all topics must be vintage oriented.

Foofoogal

Banned
I personally believe very few people are all completely one way to be exact. So where should I go if I cannot go here and everyone else is pretty much here?
Now I feel like a rejected doofus and an even more doofus for whining. Good grief. [huh]
Thank you Lefty for vision.

Going to mark it on my calendar as my meltdown week. I am allowed a few off and on. Since like I stated the realtor in Texas got 3 pieces of my mind I am almost done with it and can get back on track. Sunny today and the yard is full of birds including fat robins everywhere. Going to do some transplanting pots.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
told ya.

Though i belong in this corner, it's really the liberal side of the room. The word "modern" is being used in place of the word "reasonable", which is often used in opposition to the word "traditional" in political debate. For example, I prefer a modern (reasonable) approach to [family values, race relations, religion in schools, etc.] over a traditional one. It's a pretty quick way to set up "us vs. them" and, with the "corner" part, sounds like a fight.

If you're looking for a thread to discuss modern music, why not start a thread called Broken Phonograph.* A thread about odd medical practices could have its own thread, and so on. It's too much for one thread to take on the ideal of vintage vs. the goals of the modern day.

*Of course, all of the threads on anything modern were wiped-out in the Great Lounge Crash of 2008, and replaced with the maxim that all topics must be vintage oriented.
I'm in the corner with Lefty on this one. :coffee: :cool2:

Historically, any number of threads on the FL have devolved from topic-specific into adversarial (us vs them) resulting in an off-topic mess. Feelings have been hurt, ire has been raised, participants have abandoned/been invited to leave/left the FL. It is very difficult to maintain a sufficiently civil level of discourse when the participants in a heart-felt/heated discussion can hide behind an online personna.

I'll be at the bar and if Miss_Bella_Hell calls me Darling that's fine by me. :cheers1:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You definitely want to stay on her good side.
You wouldn't like her when she's angry.
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Gunshowhjc.jpg

Carlisle Blues

Naturally, this thread may be called the "land of broken toys" if it turns into a slug fest.

Perhaps I miss the courtroom and my students.

Every good discussion I have ever had a model similar to:

Thesis + Antithesis = Synthesis

If we are discussing subjects then I do not understand why feelings come into play.

But then again people call me Urkel[huh]

urkel.jpg

What the matter with a little peace, love and understanding?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Uh oh, pretty soon we'll have to ban differing points of view for fear of offending someone. Anytime someone voices a view you disagree with it can seem like an attack; that is CERTAINLY not the intent of this thread.

The OP was pretty innocuous. Nothing about religion or politics. Let's not read too much into it. If we do, the thread will have to get closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld