Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lounge's CORNER BOOTH ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The following post (from the Paris Hilton/flapper thread) piqued my interest:

reetpleat said:
... As for me, I am only in it for the [Golden Era's] style, music, and clothes. My standards, morals, and ideas about how the world should be are often more modern than vintage, except when it comes to clothes, music, and style.

Reetpleat's p.o.v. describes mine to a "T". What I'd like to know is, does it describe yours? If so, let this thread know. Call it "The Corner Booth": a tucked-away place to meet within the Lounge.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
By "Corner Booth", I mean a place for people who share Reetpleat's point of view regarding the Golden Era:

"... As for me, I am only in it for the [Golden Era's] style, music, and clothes. My standards, morals, and ideas about how the world should be are often more modern than vintage, except when it comes to clothes, music, and style."

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well I might fit here at the corner booth. I'm rather comfortable with the level of equality amongst races, men/women, handicapped and "classes" and with the direction we are continually moving towards more equality in those regards. I love the clothes, the architecture, the music etc. But I also like there only being one water fountain for all to share. Ever read the classifieds in the old papers? "White Only" and "White or Colored" in the help wanted ads are two of the most chilling phrases to me. We might have lost decent fashion in the march of progress but at least we are rid of that (or closer to rid of it).

Matt

WH1

Practically Family
:beer: Make mine a double, I believe I am going to be here a while. There are so many things to appreciate about the past but the small mindness, the double standards and the bad personal hygene are not among them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
how the world should be [/I]

This is vague, problematic, likely political and religious, and otherwise impolite table talk. I'll stay at the bar while you work things out.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I guess I fit in here. I'm fascinated by past decades, but I'm not nostalgic for them, not in the sense of being convinced that life was better then. "Better for whom," as suggested above, is the key question that would have to be asked.

Life was arguably better in some ways back then, but it's undeniably better in other ways today.

The balance between the two would no doubt vary from person to person.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
This is vague, problematic, likely political and religious, and otherwise impolite table talk. I'll stay at the bar while you work things out.

Does not have to be. A modernist topical discussion may have all those elements, albeit, anecdotal.

With proper balance, temperance and thoughtfulness there could be some truly excellent sharing.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm definitely in the corner booth then. Probably in the furthest corner of the corner booth! I'm not old-fashioned about anything, except for style. And even then I love a good pair of jeans and sneakers. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
skyvue said:
I guess I fit in here. I'm fascinated by past decades, but I'm not nostalgic for them, not in the sense of being convinced that life was better then. "Better for whom," as suggested above, is the key question that would have to be asked.

Life was arguably better in some ways back then, but it's undeniably better in other ways today.

The balance between the two would no doubt vary from person to person.
I'm with you. I'm fascinated by the past (and that extends back even further than the golden age era we love) - it constitutes both my job and my hobby. I would not choose to live in any other time other than now, particularly with my position on matters such as gender and race equality...always realising this is far from an ideal world, and working to make it better. I don't necessarily think that in a socio-cultural sense everything is "better" today, as difficult as it is to quantify such a thing (aside from the music and aesthetics of previous decades that I prefer) - I've discussed elsewhere, for example, the upside and downside of community cohesion as compared to today's comparative isolation for many members of society, and some of the prices we pay for modernity.

I like being able to pick and choose - which is one thing I have a greater (although by no means complete) freedom to do so now.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I will pull out a chair too.:beer:

I do not think the golden days were better in any way.
Music, movies, culture, social behaviour, discrimination....etc.

I am in here because I am interested in history, especially WWII, The Battle of Britain, RAF, flyinggear, aeroplanes - and the Irvin jackets.
And the fun of meeting and talking to other people here.
I do not dress vintage (Are cravats vintage?).
And I do not think vintage.
But I do try to behave...:)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I don't have much to say... I'm just here for the booze
LagerLouts.gif

----------------
Now playing: Ella Fitzgerald - Can't Buy Me Love
via FoxyTunes

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll join you too!

I love the Golden Era aesthetics, but have a fondness for newfangled things like equal/civil/human rights, modern medicine, the scientific approach, etc.

All these folks who think that living like the Golden Era means a return to the repression and bigotry of those days give me a pain.

I am a progressive, and the opposite of that is a regressive, and I don't want to regress. Or devolve.

I'm buying the next round for the CB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld