Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hot Water treatment-

With my first ELC RW, I did it to get it to look 'aged' and more comfortable. It worked. Sort of... Remember this was my first 'real' A-2, the leather was shiny and wrinkle-free and a little stiff. It worked in the sense that it looked better and conformed to my shape like a glove. Only the shortened sleeves became an issue. I have not repeated this exercise since then.

But now I have received an Aero 1410, in sublime shape (pics to follow shortly ;-). fantastic patina and chocolate coloured, buttery-soft HH. Lining, cuffs, etc... all 'top class'.
However, its a size 42. I am a slim, tall 40. Body and sleeve length are good, but the 23 pit to pit should be 21.5, and the 19 inch shoulder should be 18 to 18.5 max!

So, what could I do? I could HWT it selectively, shrink the body somewhat [ps any suggestions from the gallery :eusa_clap, besides whats been posted so far?]
or sell it off and miss out on this superb jacket (may still do this tho, as I have an November Aero order pending)...

To be perfectly safe..I suggest selling it and getting one that fits. No one can guarantee that the hot water/dryer treatment will shrink the jacket uniformally in all the right places.
HD

Pretty close to trying out the HWT...but feeling jittery.
Like you said Butte, the first time is tough not knowing if I'm going to ruin a pricey horsehide jacket. Just feeling that the 42 is just too big.
I'll post pics if I ever muster up the courage.

chrisk

New in Town
AWWWWWW.

I wore my lost worlds downtown in the pouring rain the other day....then I started thinking....I soaked it in the shower with warm water and then I put it in the dryer for like 10 minutes and wore it the rest of day. It was wet but warm. I'm noticing some worn marks on the seems and collar. No big deal really. Should I put some leather conditioner on it. I'm sort of concerned I screwed up and the worn marks are going to peel or something.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
AWWWWWW.

I wore my lost worlds downtown in the pouring rain the other day....then I started thinking....I soaked it in the shower with warm water and then I put it in the dryer for like 10 minutes and wore it the rest of day. It was wet but warm. I'm noticing some worn marks on the seems and collar. No big deal really. Should I put some leather conditioner on it. I'm sort of concerned I screwed up and the worn marks are going to peel or something.

Difficult to comment without images. Is the leather vegetable tanned or a pigment finish?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
AWWWWWW.

I can't imagine that the water (by rain or the shower) would cause any issue with an LW hide - but perhaps the heat from the dryer may have marked it?

Look at the time-worn jackets here. They all have marks and scuffs. If you want a perfect-looking jacket fro all time, get one that's properly fitting and don't do anything to it.
If you want it to look used, then don't sweat the marks/scuffs. I was totally like that at first, and between this forum and my son and a few years of experience, I now love a jacket when it gets beat up. YMMV, but that's my inflated 2¢ :)

would HWT works for langlitz horse? i want the torso to shrink down a bit...
It will work on any jacket. But - the amount of shrinkage and possible damage is not something that can be predicted. Best to read as much as possible on it and if you decide to do it, be careful and take it slow. I've done 4-5 jackets now and I'm happy with the results. I would never do the washing machine thing as it's too severe IMO, but others have with good results. I've also seen some jackets ruined with both so be careful. What some would say is sell it and get a jacket that's made to fit you. I won't tell you which way to go, only what I've done.Good luck!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Shrinking a whole jacket is not very difficult, it's like with jeans. Shrinking one specific part takes a lot of effort, more than I can handle. I don't mind trying, it's a pastime to me, just like golf (I customize my clubs, as well...). And I'm always happy to take a loss here and there, as I know that here and there I also get something I really like.

Peacoat

Bartender
As hot as you dare.

Edit Note: That sentence should read: "As hot out of the tap as you dare." No boiling water, please, no matter how brave you are!

Last edited:
FWIW, I used the hot tap water - I set mine hotter than normal. It was bloody hot. I've also just used that hot tap water in a spray bottle for arms, etc.

So, I'm gonna give it a try...
but first I'll show you all the problem.
aero-unzippedsm.jpg

aero-zippedsm.jpg

aero-sidesm.jpg

aero-backsm.jpg

Like I've said, I like the length in the back and I can live with the sleeves. But overall, I'm thinking the jacket is too big.
Any thoughts on how to go about this? Wet and shrink the whole thing? Use the wet towels? Only do the body?
Thanks for the help! I figure I'll try over the weekend.

You'll likely get many opinions. I'll be honest, I think it's too big. I would sell it and put the cash towards a new one. I've already done that 4x this year. It's a PITA, but I don't think you'll be happy with it if you try, and resale goes way down. Maybe down to zilch if its hosed. I'd get a few opinions before deciding. There's just no guarantees. Good luck either way.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
+1 to comments recommending to sell and buy one that fits r/t go through this high risk process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe