Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

tortswon

Practically Family
Beer Festival in the Poconos November 22-23

For those of you in and around the Pocono area, there will be a beer festival at Split Rock this weekend, November 22 & 23. If you're there, stop by the speaker area and say hello. Best, Sam

1OldGI

Familiar Face
My Put

Around home, my tastes are fairly pedestrian, Busch Light, Natural Light, etc. Yuengling Black and Tan is not at all uncommon and occassionally in the summer, I'll venture into the more exotic brands such as Red Stripe, Negro Modelo, Corona and Fosters. Although I totally can't get it here, Henry Weinharts Dark is one of the best beers I ever drank. Domestic San Miguel is also quite enjoyable and occassionally the urge for Newcastle will hit.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Luke 42 said:
You might try looking for Gaffel or Früh Kölsch, these are the most famous ones I think, maybe you get them in the USA.
It just so happens that I'm going to a bar that lists Gaffel on their menu! Thanks Lukas.:)

rumblefish

One Too Many
dnjan said:
Had a barrel-aged imperial stout from Hales at the Winterbeer Fest this last weekend.
Fantastic!

Very nice looking line up. Anything else outstanding?

The one I attended at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island served Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing in California. Big hit with me; Belgian abbey style ale that I'm sure a few of the true Belgian ale fans here would fancy. It had a great roundness to it and finished off rather spicy with a flavor of mustard seed. http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm . Keep an eye out for their Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout if you're a fan of stouts. This is another that has a permanent spot in my beer cellar. http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputin.htm

tortswon

Practically Family
Old Rasputin

Love the Old Rasputin! Has a very complex flavor and it ages well. After some time, the sweetness diminishes a bit and complex notes of stewed fruit appear. Yummy with (believe it or not) holiday fruit cake! It also has one of the coolest labels in the biz. Best, Sam

rumblefish

One Too Many
tortswon said:
Love the Old Rasputin! Has a very complex flavor and it ages well. After some time, the sweetness diminishes a bit and complex notes of stewed fruit appear. Yummy with (believe it or not) holiday fruit cake! It also has one of the coolest labels in the biz. Best, Sam

How long do you think I should hold a few?

I'm a big fan of fruit cake and puddings, never thought of pairing them with Old Rasputin. Thanks Sam.

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Very nice looking line up. Anything else outstanding?
The Bourbon Industrial Ho!Ho! by Diamond Knot Brewing Co. was also quite good. They take a keg of their regular Wintern Seasonal (the Industrial Ho! Ho!) and add bourbon-aged oak chips and then age it for a year (sounds like an interesting experiment for a home-brewer with a spare soda keg!).
Ram Restaurant's Bourbon Vanilla Nitro Porter was also interesting. The vanilla in a porter was unique, and serving it on nitrogen allowed some of the flavours to come out that might have been hidden if it had been on CO2. Not exactly a "winter ale", but a good cold-wether beer nonetheless.

By the way - is this whiskey-barrel aging of beer just a northwest thing, or are others doing it around the country?

Warden

One Too Many
When I am down south I do look forward to a pint of London Pride.

fullers%20london%20pride.JPG

But all time favourite is from my local mirco brewery

logo2.gif

It sells beer so good I am sure they sell it in heaven.

http://www.chilternbrewery.co.uk/

Must go I find myself a proper beer which is at room temperature and in a handled glass jug.

Harry

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i had a Full Moon Winter Ale yesterday...product of Blue Moon Brewing...it was really good...dark ruby red and really smooth for a dark beer...hit the spot...

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
http://www.allagash.com/curieux.htm

Allagash in Maine barrel ages. Their Curieux is aged in Jim Beam barrels. Two others done in just "bourbon barrels" or new toasted barrels. I've had their Curieux a few times. I like it, but pricey.
Any idea who the brewer(s) are at Allagash?
The reason I ask is that a few years ago the former assistant brewer at Hales (here in Seattle) moved out to Maine to accomodate his wife's graduate studies. Heck of a coincidence if it was the same guy.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I feel so fortunate to have as many microbreweries as we do in this part of the country, this state even. The options keep you on your toes! I am even happy to say I have a friend who has been studying brewing - who rumor has it will have at least one of his works go commercial! I will say more if I know something definite and get the go ahead.

tortswon

Practically Family
Aging Old Rasputin

Rumblefish, I have been aging mine for about three years and it is still going strong. I think it will go another five easily. The change becomes perceptible after about 18 months. I usually buy a case of a beer I am going to lay down and start sampling at 6 month intervals. At the first sign of deterioration, I finish what's left. How long a beer can go is more of a guesstimate than anything else. I served a 750 ml cork finished beer from Belgium the other week, vintage 1986.

When I say "lay down," unlike wine, beer is best aged standing up, in my opinion, especially if it has a crown seal. I would never age a beer with the beer touching the cap.

dnjan

One Too Many
Not the same person - The guy I was thinking of is Kevin (though I don't remember his last name).

Most of the craft brewers I have run into are "nice guys". Probably their initial success was partly due to their charisma and personal nature. Afterall, the best advertising a start-up has is word of mouth, and it is much easier to speak highly of the work/product of a nice guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe