Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Today I bought this Shaker style knitting box at the Nashville Arts and Crafts fair.
2011-09-24171152.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, it's nice, and somewhat cat proof- the yarn threads through the holes in the top. It's really nice, but that's not the "Good News" element. I asked the vendor if he took plastic? Nope. Cash or check. As I dug for my checkbook (which I actually had on me), the guy said- and I &*%^ you not... "If you don't have your checkbook, take the one you want, I'll write up the bill, and you can send me a check when you get home." Let me repeat, this guy was willing to let me take $100+ worth of merchandise, on nothing but my word to send payment. And he said he's never been stiffed. This makes me inordinately happy. :)

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
So, Tom, how'd the vacation go? :D

Amateisgal, good luck and keep us posted! :eusa_clap

Congratulations, LMH2! :eusa_clap

And Bluebird Marsha, doesn't that sort of thing just leave you smiling and light-hearted the rest of the day? :D

Stay tuned for good news from this end of the swamp tomorrow night!!!

Regards,
Tom

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
To anyone who read the story that I posted in the READING ROOM entitled "Bloody Christmas", you may be interested to know that I am embarking on yet another Golden-Age-set mystery story involving my detective character Richard Haines.

If it's alright with everyone, I've created a thread containing the details of my story-in-progress. Suggestions, ideas, comments and any help that the members here can provide would be much appreciated.

In other good news...

...I bought two hats.
...I made my first-ever Sticky Date Pudding + Caramel Sauce.

AND IT WUZ DELISHUS.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
To anyone who read the story that I posted in the READING ROOM entitled "Bloody Christmas", you may be interested to know that I am embarking on yet another Golden-Age-set mystery story involving my detective character Richard Haines.

If it's alright with everyone, I've created a thread containing the details of my story-in-progress. Suggestions, ideas, comments and any help that the members here can provide would be much appreciated.

In other good news...

...I bought two hats.

AND IT WUZ DELISHUS.
I think I am going to have to whoosh over your way to try some of that sauce, the word, "Caramel" being in the works always draws me like "a moth to the flame".....(extra yummy)!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Today I bought this Shaker style knitting box at the Nashville Arts and Crafts fair.
2011-09-24171152.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, it's nice, and somewhat cat proof- the yarn threads through the holes in the top. It's really nice, but that's not the "Good News" element. I asked the vendor if he took plastic? Nope. Cash or check. As I dug for my checkbook (which I actually had on me), the guy said- and I &*%^ you not... "If you don't have your checkbook, take the one you want, I'll write up the bill, and you can send me a check when you get home." Let me repeat, this guy was willing to let me take $100+ worth of merchandise, on nothing but my word to send payment. And he said he's never been stiffed. This makes me inordinately happy. :)
I love that box, even though I don't knit ( I may some day when I am too old to yodel and no longer tap dance) but the detail on that box is just great. I would love to own something similar but larger for hats!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
When I retired from the USAF six years ago I had none of the usual education benefits that one associates with military service. I was one of a group of people who fell through the cracks between the old and new GI Bills. There was a program called VEAP that was perhaps "better than nothing" that required monthly contributions from the military member, but the base Education Office recommended not signing up for it if we expected to finish our degrees using tuition assistance while still active duty. I took that advice. Later, when the opportunity to transfer to the new GI Bill was given to VEAP-era members, the caveat was that you had to have put money into the program. Those of us who hadn't were out of luck.

Fortunately for me, a couple of years ago Congress passed what is called the Post 9/11 GI Bill and it turned out I was fully eligible for it. For the past year and a half I've been taking advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the VA's Yellow Ribbon program. The result:

As of today, I have completed all requirements for a Masters in Information Technology, Project Management!!! :D

The down side to that is I have rendered myself that much less marketable job-wise in this area than I was before as there isn't much demand for IT professionals. The more experience, certifications, and degrees you have, the less they want you as they don't want to pay for that sort of experience. Most companies around here prefer to have the existing employee who likes computers take care of their network. But that's OK, as I already have a good job with a good company where both the people I support and my supervisors appreciate me--I'm not looking to move anytime soon.

The past year has also been spent being a parent to a 6 year old granddaughter, who has been very patient with her Papa spending so much time at his computer at night and on the weekends. She has, however, been counting down the weeks and days to this moment. :) I am looking forward to spending more time with her and my wife, and getting back into my hobbies such as my hats and fountain pens. There's a year and half worth of household maintenance that needs to be taken care of, and lots of other things that have been put off while I take care of this. I'm excited to "have my life back" as my brother-in-law put it.

I was unable to walk in my graduation ceremony for my bachelor's degree as the ceremony was in Heidelberg, Germany, and I was deployed from South Carolina to Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia for the build-up and initiation of IRAQI FREEDOM. This time I will walk in a ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia, next month. I'll set aside my fedoras for a day in favor of a mortar board.

For those of my friends in the Hats forum who've wondered at my lack of posting photographs of my hats or of posts regarding hat renovations and the like, now you know why. I feel a couple of years behind in some things--time to get back to it.

My next MAJOR long-term project though is another personal improvement one: the loss of about 110 pounds and improved fitness to go with it. Wish me luck! ;)

Regards,
Tom

rue

In other good news...

...I bought two hats.

AND IT WUZ DELISHUS.

I can't wait to read it!

rue

When I retired from the USAF six years ago I had none of the usual education benefits that one associates with military service. I was one of a group of people who fell through the cracks between the old and new GI Bills. There was a program called VEAP that was perhaps "better than nothing" that required monthly contributions from the military member, but the base Education Office recommended not signing up for it if we expected to finish our degrees using tuition assistance while still active duty. I took that advice. Later, when the opportunity to transfer to the new GI Bill was given to VEAP-era members, the caveat was that you had to have put money into the program. Those of us who hadn't were out of luck.

Fortunately for me, a couple of years ago Congress passed what is called the Post 9/11 GI Bill and it turned out I was fully eligible for it. For the past year and a half I've been taking advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the VA's Yellow Ribbon program. The result:

As of today, I have completed all requirements for a Masters in Information Technology, Project Management!!! :D

The down side to that is I have rendered myself that much less marketable job-wise in this area than I was before as there isn't much demand for IT professionals. The more experience, certifications, and degrees you have, the less they want you as they don't want to pay for that sort of experience. Most companies around here prefer to have the existing employee who likes computers take care of their network. But that's OK, as I already have a good job with a good company where both the people I support and my supervisors appreciate me--I'm not looking to move anytime soon.

The past year has also been spent being a parent to a 6 year old granddaughter, who has been very patient with her Papa spending so much time at his computer at night and on the weekends. She has, however, been counting down the weeks and days to this moment. :) I am looking forward to spending more time with her and my wife, and getting back into my hobbies such as my hats and fountain pens. There's a year and half worth of household maintenance that needs to be taken care of, and lots of other things that have been put off while I take care of this. I'm excited to "have my life back" as my brother-in-law put it.

I was unable to walk in my graduation ceremony for my bachelor's degree as the ceremony was in Heidelberg, Germany, and I was deployed from South Carolina to Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia for the build-up and initiation of IRAQI FREEDOM. This time I will walk in a ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia, next month. I'll set aside my fedoras for a day in favor of a mortar board.

For those of my friends in the Hats forum who've wondered at my lack of posting photographs of my hats or of posts regarding hat renovations and the like, now you know why. I feel a couple of years behind in some things--time to get back to it.

My next MAJOR long-term project though is another personal improvement one: the loss of about 110 pounds and improved fitness to go with it. Wish me luck! ;)

Regards,
Tom

Congratulations Tom!!!
Good luck with the weight loss too :D

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Well as a birthday present to myself I got my Emerson DM331 radio working. Just needed a recap. Picture of it here when I first got it, looks a lot better now, but I no longer have a working camera.

DM331.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Regards,
Tom
From what you just stated, you have been a very busy person, and it takes a lot of work to finish what you have gone through, you sure have my respect, for sure.

Good luck with everything, sir!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well as a birthday present to myself I got my Emerson DM331 radio working. Just needed a recap. Picture of it here when I first got it, looks a lot better now, but I no longer have a working camera.

DM331.jpg
Geez, happy birthday as well. My camera is on the blitz also, I have no clue what is wrong other then I messed the settings all up and I understand ZERO about digital cameras.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have no news. From what I understand, though, that is good news.
That is perhaps one of the best placed thoughts of this year I have read.

Really the average person has to "sneak"up to their mail box in hopes of not getting anything else that only amounts to "bad news"....!

Mojito

One Too Many
TangoYankee - that's fantastic news, and an achievement to be proud of! I like the fact you've already set yourself your next big goal, too. Mr Hallack, a very fine acquisition indeed.

My first book has been accepted for publication in the UK, and will be distributed in the US and Australia as well as through Amazon worldwide and major chains (if you know my full name, it's up for pre-order on the sites). It is a maritime history related biography, and has to do with a certain major anniversary that falls next year...not quite Golden Age as we define it, it falls in the Belle Epoque.

Mojito

One Too Many
Very good and a little overwhelming, Shangas! I've written a fair bit for periodicals, and always had a rather small niche market in mind for this book. A journalist friend who has written quite a few non-fiction books persuaded me the material should have a wider audience. I'm still rather surprised at how, after years of research, the publication process itself is coming together so quickly and compartively easily...the first publisher I approached, my preferred one, took it up immediately and is pushing it through to meet the anniversary next year, and the family of the man I've written about have gone above and beyond the call to get photographs from their private collection to the publisher for copying as quickly as possible. It's a bit bemusing to suddenly see your publishing blurb everywhere and your work described as "gripping," but I keep reminding myself that there's a decade of research that went into it before I reached this stage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe