Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Pretty much every smoker who finds out they have lung cancer quits that day.... usually it's too late, but they do.

Wrong.

Actually no, it was the love I have for my daughters and later for my girlfriend and the which to stay with them as long as possible. Death doesn't scare me much, it comes in so many forms and many of them are impossible to prevent.

That's a very healthy outlook to have :) Good for you!

that's great. and good for you. It takes a lot to get out of a comfort zone.

So was it your decision to be overweight and feel lousy for the first 50 years (like some here argue) or was it you didn't realize it was going on, and when you did you did something about it?

so it seems for you and Ted, the fear of death is what made you change. Maybe that is what's needed instead of just labels.

That's NOT what I said. Nice twist though...
I did not feel lousy and was not in lousy shape for the previous 50 years. Low blow, badly interpreted. I simply over the last few years (if I'm honest, 4-5) got beyond what I'd like myself to be.
I had no fear of death - other than what normal humans have. No "event". Just a realization and the realignment of my stars to get me back on track. All you need is the desire to do it. Period.

No, the goth crowd would just smoke more. :p
C-Dot you're right. Making the right decisions aren't easy and they DO require effort.
I think this is part of why we see a decline.
Making no logical decisions at all take less time, because there is no thought involved.
And you can't tell me it's not more acceptable these days. (I know, started off with a preposition, Lizzie will shake a finger at me for that LOL).

Smoke more. :rofl:
Decision making and responsibility are indeed in decline and that was my premise when I started with food but it goes to all areas. Imagine if there was a lawsuit because a woamn spilled hot coffee on her lap, like there was years ago, in say 1930 or 1940. No court in the land would have taken that case and she would have been laughed out of court on the premise.

PoohBang

Suspended
Key phrase: He did something about it. You just supported our point again (what do you know, common ground does exist.)

what is "our" point again? and then let me know what you thought mine was. Maybe we'd all get along if everyone knew what everyone was talking about. Seems you think I'm saying something I'm not...?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Had it been as easy as you say there had been no a addicts of any sort in the world, neiter of narcotics, tobacco, sugar or booze.

I had to have a triple bypass 7 years ago. Due to long hours at work, too much smoking, bad food eaten at my desk and too little exercise. I turned my life completely around after that. Sold my business, never work more than 7 hours a day and never in the week ends, started to exercise, began eating healthy food and reduced my smoking to no more than 5 a day. If you think that was as easy as you claim you are a fool

For some it may be easier than others, but in general it does take some very deep effort. I can give up most things in life, and have that are not good, but keep your hands off my coffee ( and hats) !

My grandmother was in an oxygen tent the last X years of her life from Emphysema. She still tried smoking while in the freaking tent! My grandfather had to clear the house of anything that could remotely blow the place up. Only thing that stopped her was eventually becoming ~60 pounds, not being able to sit up, and dying.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
See, I think it's a two-way street. Consumers should consume responsibly ... and producers should produce responsibly. Ethically and practically, neither group should be let off the hook. "Caveat emptor" is a fine warning to heed, but it should not be considered a 'free pass' card for food manufacturers.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
How about you stop telling me what I think, first?
I can venture to say that you appreciate banana's, strawberries and some real cream rather than vinegar any day....now be that as it may, I hope anyone else will get the hint, you can always attract more nice things with nice things to say....

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I don't need someone telling me I shouldn't jump off a bridge, smoke cigarrettes, drink to excess, drive drunk, smoke meth, etc. Here's where Darwin kicks in...

So you're going to tell the families of victims of drunk drivers that they are somehow victims of Darwinism by being in the wrong place at the wrong time? You favor the legalization of meth, smoking wherever you wish to regardless of those around you, behaving drunk and disorderly, or jumping off a bridge despite the consequences it has for the public? You favor anarchy, then?

Here's the thing: you may not feel like you need to be told not to do these things, or that you don't need a law to keep from doing them, but many people obviously do. It doesn't deter some, but it does deter many.

Just curious... but that's the first time I've ever heard anyone argue against laws against drunk driving.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good point James.
Yeah, the lady would have been told "well coffee IS hot, you should know that."
Sometimes I wonder if in those cases it's a lack of common sense, or the addition of a need to "chase the money" via a lawsuit. Hard to say.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My grandmother was in an oxygen tent the last X years of her life from Emphysema. She still tried smoking while in the freaking tent! My grandfather had to clear the house of anything that could remotely blow the place up. Only thing that stopped her was eventually becoming ~60 pounds, not being able to sit up, and dying.
This happens all the time...I was 15 in the hospital with a severe broken (severed ankle) that was operated on and recovering in traction. They guy in the bed next to me was a lung removal from cancer, he actually caught the bed on fire smoking and was on the O2 bottle, needless to say, some never learn.

See, I think it's a two-way street. Consumers should consume responsibly ... and producers should produce responsibly. Ethically and practically, neither group should be let off the hook. "Caveat emptor" is a fine warning to heed, but it should not be considered a 'free pass' card for food manufacturers.

If they are producing Soylent Green then you have me on your side. :D

Pompidou

One Too Many
Good point James.
Yeah, the lady would have been told "well coffee IS hot, you should know that."
Sometimes I wonder if in those cases it's a lack of common sense, or the addition of a need to "chase the money" via a lawsuit. Hard to say.

If it weren't hot, she'd have returned it, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken