Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom, I am curious about one thing. Did you see Jesus strike your co-worker, Fred? If so, I would strongly encourage you to encourage him to sue the company. You could do him a huge service, he might be in a position when it is all over to just walk away from this hostile environment. And that's exactly what it is, and it is illegal. For them to allow this constant mockery of Fred is illegal, but for them to ignore the fact that Fred was assaulted is beyond the pale. A half decent lawyer will take these clowns to the cleaners. And interestingly enough, it doesn't have to be Fred filing the complaint, if you go to the EEOC, you will find that YOU can file a complaint on behalf of Fred. I have done so on behalf of my beloved as a consequence of her poor treatment at the hands of her previous employer. And believe me, I got what I wanted out of the situation. The only way to make them change is to hit them where it hurts, right in the wallet.
I realize the United States has become a litigious society, but the simple truth is, we are no longer in a position to effect the kind of change often needed in the workplace, without the help of the legal system. with his complaint (whether he files it or not) and your corroboration, your company is in a hole they can't climb out of. Think of it this way, when Jesus is done with Fred, who's next? Will it be the smallest guy that works there, will it be the lady in admin, will it be YOU when you turn your back? Your employer has a responsibility to protect their employees, and they are NOT doing so!!

Hey doing what is right ain't always easy, but it is always right!!

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Whether people talk about such things or not, they still think them. Which is why I say we haven't moved forward on race at all. We've moved sideways.
In many ways I wish I could not agree with you on that issue, but on the bigger picture of all things you are so right. It would be so nice if race was never an issue. Yet in not just the USA but all over, people fall victim of such things as racial hatred or even just being from another part of their own country.

Not to take this off the path too far, can you imagine any other civilization (space visitors) coming by our world today? What would they think of us? If they monitored our news, the only reason they would have to visit (a "drive by") would be to see what crazy things us earthlings are up to now! We would have to appear as a sad form of entertainment at best.

But again, I really do have some faith that it will be up to individuals to take a stand and make a difference in most of the things "tossed" into this entire line of conversation. We do have some groups that exist today that started with just one person taking a stand, and seeking a resolve for betterment of the quality of life in manner areas. I have such a feeling that this was how our founding fathers of this Nation wanted to see it go. I know they would be not too happy with the mess we have over the years allowed it to become. It really all goes back to what you as a person will do, where do you stand?

In my work about 15 years ago, I had a customer with a Son that they wanted to have him move to Canada so he would avoid the draft system, I guess they felt he would maybe get drafted? They said no one should ever serve this Nation of the USA. I was shocked about that statement. I had to relay to them, freedom of everything we do has been due to those that have been willing to serve and even give up their very life if need be. A concept they did not endorse nor understand, yet they sure want to reap the benefit of being free in this Nation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In many ways I wish I could not agree with you on that issue, but on the bigger picture of all things you are so right. It would be so nice if race was never an issue. Yet in not just the USA but all over, people fall victim of such things as racial hatred or even just being from another part of their own country.

I think the most discouraging thing about it is that, as a nation, we aren't even able to discuss it openly for fear of being censured from one side or the other. Rather than becoming an honest, acknowledged issue that can be discussed freely, it's become America's Great Unmentionable -- unless you follow the script exactly, you're going to get slammed no matter what you say, so people don't dare to say anything. And that's hardly an environment that leads to any kind of meaningful progress.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whether people talk about such things or not, they still think them. Which is why I say we haven't moved forward on race at all. We've moved sideways.

And even worse, enact on them all the while denying that they think this way. Sometimes I even think with some people they cannot comprehend that what they are doing is "ist" because they honestly believe that there is no way that they can be doing that "ist" because they are not "ist." Just because a person doesn't act like the protesters of yesteryear at a newly integrated school and doesn't slap the office girl/boy on the butt doesn't mean that they aren't "ist." To be honest, a lot of our society reinforces "ist"-behavior and thinking all while glamorizing how far we've come. I think we have made some progress, but honestly very little.

I think it's a large part of the lack of responsibility for one's action's that is lost in modern day society. Not taking responsibility for what you say (and do) and being willing to examine your own behavior/thinking if you are called out on it. Instead, most people who are called out respond aggressively or deny that they acted that way. If people were actually responsible enough to sit down and examine their behavior and thoughts, I think we'd have a lot less "isms" and hopefully "ists" too.

I've had times where I have had to question my actions and my thoughts. I've had times where I have had to wonder if my behavior is motivated by "isms" and if I am an "ist." I think that every rational person who reflects on their behavior has questioned themselves and had to work through a few things.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Exactly.

The videos to which I was referring aren't simply gross-out videos, unfortunately. They're plain and simply snuff filmed by degenerates that take some kind of psychopathic pride in murdering innocent human beings. There are others like them out there, which I'm sure no one cares to view either.

See, years ago, there were murderers and psychopaths. But now the internet has given any twisted mind the ability to share his/her work with the world. Impressionable kids see it, think it's cool (is murder cool now?), and either emulate it or make a mockery of it.

I guess you could say it's a Roman circus domino effect, compounded by the internet.

Well, I guess I've not seen those videos to which you refer, because whilst the stuff I saw was well disgusting and extreme, I've luckily not come across any in which people/animals have been hurt in any way. Funnily enough I was thinking of mentioning the up-in-arms about the supposed existence of snuff in the '80s, where they came to the conclusion that none ever existed. Please don't tell me we've already reached that nadir.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think the most discouraging thing about it is that, as a nation, we aren't even able to discuss it openly for fear of being censured from one side or the other. Rather than becoming an honest, acknowledged issue that can be discussed freely, it's become America's Great Unmentionable -- unless you follow the script exactly, you're going to get slammed no matter what you say, so people don't dare to say anything. And that's hardly an environment that leads to any kind of meaningful progress.

I agree. Given the fact that a lot of our policies reflect "isms" in society, this is not just about personal reflection. The plain fact is, not having an open discussion about these types of things is actually advantagous to those who gain from "ist" policies and social constructions, because this allows these policies and social constructions to continue, unexamined.

Edward

Bartender
Well, I guess I've not seen those videos to which you refer, because whilst the stuff I saw was well disgusting and extreme, I've luckily not come across any in which people/animals have been hurt in any way. Funnily enough I was thinking of mentioning the up-in-arms about the supposed existence of snuff in the '80s, where they came to the conclusion that none ever existed. Please don't tell me we've already reached that nadir.

It's certainly still debatable whether any true snuff material exists. Cruelty to animals videos does exist - I am aware of a number of examples being prosecuted under various animal cruelty and obscenity laws. Actual human deaths, well.... as traditionally conceived, a snuff film is where a human being is actually killed for the purposes of making the film, and that alone. To date there have been no reports in our legal system of any such thing - nothing reported in the US either. Of course we do have film of things such as the execution of Saddam Hussein, and plenty of sick people queuing up to watch and enjoy that; there are also the execution videos that have been made available online by various terrorist groupings, such as those who killed Daniel Pearl. To suggest that these are evidence of a decline in social standards is mistaken, in my opinion, as they are merely records of man's inhumanity to man - and we have had that with us since we climbed down from the trees, so to speak.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You could argue, though, that a world in which "well, as long as nobody was actually killed" is the boundary that makes something acceptable as entertainment is not a world devoted to the highest and noblest of principles.

The animal cruelty stuff is unspeakably vile, and the people who take pleasure in it are beyond any possible pale of tolerance. And if it's "part of their culture," their culture is as sick as they are.

Last edited:
AtomicEraTom, I am curious about one thing. Did you see Jesus strike your co-worker, Fred? If so, I would strongly encourage you to encourage him to sue the company. You could do him a huge service, he might be in a position when it is all over to just walk away from this hostile environment. And that's exactly what it is, and it is illegal. For them to allow this constant mockery of Fred is illegal, but for them to ignore the fact that Fred was assaulted is beyond the pale. A half decent lawyer will take these clowns to the cleaners. And interestingly enough, it doesn't have to be Fred filing the complaint, if you go to the EEOC, you will find that YOU can file a complaint on behalf of Fred. I have done so on behalf of my beloved as a consequence of her poor treatment at the hands of her previous employer. And believe me, I got what I wanted out of the situation. The only way to make them change is to hit them where it hurts, right in the wallet.
I realize the United States has become a litigious society, but the simple truth is, we are no longer in a position to effect the kind of change often needed in the workplace, without the help of the legal system. with his complaint (whether he files it or not) and your corroboration, your company is in a hole they can't climb out of. Think of it this way, when Jesus is done with Fred, who's next? Will it be the smallest guy that works there, will it be the lady in admin, will it be YOU when you turn your back? Your employer has a responsibility to protect their employees, and they are NOT doing so!!

Perhaps an inquiry as to the immigration status of Tom's co-worker might be in order as well.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender

I agree with this. An assault was committed at the workplace and it needs to be addressed by the company or by means outside of it.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
History shows us that we go in cycles...so I'm hopeful the pendulum will start swinging the other way.

So let's start swinging it...!

AtomicEraTom, I am curious about one thing. Did you see Jesus strike your co-worker, Fred? If so, I would strongly encourage you to encourage him to sue the company. You could do him a huge service, he might be in a position when it is all over to just walk away from this hostile environment. And that's exactly what it is, and it is illegal. For them to allow this constant mockery of Fred is illegal, but for them to ignore the fact that Fred was assaulted is beyond the pale. A half decent lawyer will take these clowns to the cleaners. And interestingly enough, it doesn't have to be Fred filing the complaint, if you go to the EEOC, you will find that YOU can file a complaint on behalf of Fred. Think of it this way, when Jesus is done with Fred, who's next? Will it be the smallest guy that works there, will it be the lady in admin, will it be YOU when you turn your back? Your employer has a responsibility to protect their employees, and they are NOT doing so!!

AtomicEraTom, my great respect. And I agree with scooter, if this crime was witnessed by anyone then it needs to be intervened. "All that evil needs to exist is for good men to do nothing."

I agree with this. An assault was committed at the workplace and it needs to be addressed by the company or by means outside of it.

A calculated, unprovoked, and clearly criminal act.

M.

I told Fred today that he should have told the boss that he at least wanted Jesus fired, or at the very least moved to a different line. Freddy, being the sweet guy he is told me, "I would never want anybody to lose their job over me. Jesus screwed up, but I'm leaving it in the past, he has a sick wife and needs this job. I can't do it to him and his family."

While I think what Jesus did was wrong and I am actually the person who told management about it, it's Fred's call. I can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do, even though I think he's making the wrong choice.

PoohBang

Suspended
what a great example in the decline of standards thread.

A guy who gets made fun of because he's old and crippled and then gets punched the stomach by another man over something we're not quite sure about.

So the advice from the people complaining about nobody having any standards and decency anymore are:
to turn in the guy, who is pointed out is Hispanic and get him fired.
Another suggests that since he's Hispanic he's obviously here illegally and should be checkout and deported.
Another is sue the company for all it's got...

All very decent things to do. Shining examples...

And the old crippled guy's response is, let it go. The guy's got a family and wife and kids and he'd hate to have him lose his job.

Now THAT guy should be on this thread, as he's the only one I've seen that actually has standards and decency.

Now back to the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe