Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a booklet that the local Catholic schools put out showing all the schools that are available and where. They should have something like that for other denominations as well. That book is a great resource for me.

Do they still have all the old Battle Axe Nuns? It is amazing, how many ex motorcycle gang members I have known, that went to Catholic school. My knuckles still hurt every time it turns cold!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'd say that teachers should be given more privelage in disciplining their students. Like in bullying for example, all of them know that bullying exist but they can't make a move because their privelages were little enough that the student will still continue their bad habits.

This was addressed with the nun comments in the discussion.
And you bring up a very good point.
Without discipline, kids these days DON'T know what it right and wrong, and why it is so.
Instead they do what Hollyweird teaches them in tv shows and movies.
Hollyweird is their influence? Well when the inner galactic attack happens, I'm headed to Tom Cruise's house since he has a $5 million dollar bunker just for that reason. shakeshead

This was addressed with the nun comments in the discussion.
And you bring up a very good point.
Without discipline, kids these days DON'T know what it right and wrong, and why it is so.
Instead they do what Hollyweird teaches them in tv shows and movies.
Hollyweird is their influence? Well when the inner galactic attack happens, I'm headed to Tom Cruise's house since he has a $5 million dollar bunker just for that reason. shakeshead

If the children know no bounds then you can lay that blame directly on the parents of said rat kids. Many years ago, Hollywood worked along with parents to teach children boundaries, a code of the west and right versus wrong. Now you can't let your children near it. Teachers used to be that way as well but the legal profession and such have made that impossible. Now you HAVE to choose private school if you want that kind of education where it was once the prevue of the local school system.

If the children know no bounds then you can lay that blame directly on the parents of said rat kids. Many years ago, Hollywood worked along with parents to teach children boundaries, a code of the west and right versus wrong. Now you can't let your children near it. Teachers used to be that way as well but the legal profession and such have made that impossible. Now you HAVE to choose private school if you want that kind of education where it was once the prevue of the local school system.

That's true. My older Daughters(who went to public school) begged me not to send my young son there. Black trench coated thugsters often ruled the halls..and the teachers. I made many trips to demand justice. Only a few times was I successful.
HD

GHT

I'll Lock Up
School for me was about survival. We had teachers who used corporal punishment on a whim, we had playground bullies who held court. We had wimpy kids who, scared that they might be beaten up by playground bullies, followed the herd instinct, and thereby bullied others, against their will, and, better judgement, so as not to be beaten up themselves. And we had those who would try to oppose the bullies, me included.

Were the teachers powerless, who knows, to complain got you a thrashing. Anyone who tells me that six of the best never did them any harm gets the phone number of Miss whiplash! I vowed that no child of mine would ever endure the systematic bullying that I faced every day.

Sorry, got a bit carried away. But seriously, by the time I could afford a private education for any children, it was biologically too late.

Last edited:
School for me was about survival. We had teachers who used corporal punishment on a whim, we had playground bullies who held court. We had wimpy kids who, scared that they might be beaten up by playground bullies, followed the herd instinct, and thereby bullied others, against their will, and, better judgement, so as not to be beaten up themselves. And we had those who would try to oppose the bullies, me included.

Were the teachers powerless, who knows, to complain got you a thrashing. Anyone who tells me that six of the best never did them any harm gets the phone number of Miss whiplash! I vowed that no child of mine would ever endure the systematic bullying that I faced every day.

So here I am at 67, and childless.
Sorry, got a bit carried away.

Geez, your experience was much worse than mine! I am glad I was in school over here. :p I didn't get bullied but got in a few fights through the years. I even got kicked out of PE for one quarter. :p
I have two children and neither of them have been in government school for more than a year because I had enough of it by that time. :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bullying isn't learned in a vacuum. I'd assume that most bullies are the children of bullies. Hence such behavior is either OK or actually rewarded. That's one of the reasons why I am always hesitant to give teachers more power in punishment... I've known a few teachers in my life that shouldn't be teaching, mainly because they were bullies.

I got bullied occasionally in junior high/middle school and high school, presumably because I was rather thin in those days and appeared to be an easy target; I can't recall them ever taking the time to explain their motivation. Each time the bullies learned pretty quickly that I could defend myself but otherwise wouldn't fight back, so they got bored and moved on to their next victim. I found the whole thing rather silly, especially when they would approach me in the days that followed and act like we were long-time buddies. [huh]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I was beaten silly numerous times in Middle School. I was a target, since I was so very much younger than my classmates (entered 7th grade at the age of 10), and was a bit of a smart Aleck to boot. Was taken to the emergency room twice, once with a broken knee (which gives me trouble 40 years on) and another time with a broken arm, two loose teeth and two broken ribs. How I hated that school, which seemed to be run for the sole benefit of its rather advanced sports program. I ran through that school and our HS as quickly as I could, and entered University in my fifteenth year. Had an absolutely splendid time there!

I got bullied occasionally in junior high/middle school and high school, presumably because I was rather thin in those days and appeared to be an easy target; I can't recall them ever taking the time to explain their motivation. Each time the bullies learned pretty quickly that I could defend myself but otherwise wouldn't fight back, so they got bored and moved on to their next victim. I found the whole thing rather silly, especially when they would approach me in the days that followed and act like we were long-time buddies. [huh]

Funny how it works out that way eh?:p

I was beaten silly numerous times in Middle School. I was a target, since I was so very much younger than my classmates (entered 7th grade at the age of 10), and was a bit of a smart Aleck to boot. Was taken to the emergency room twice, once with a broken knee (which gives me trouble 40 years on) and another time with a broken arm, two loose teeth and two broken ribs. How I hated that school, which seemed to be run for the sole benefit of its rather advanced sports program. I ran through that school and our HS as quickly as I could

:eeek: :eusa_doh:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
School bullying was an interesting experience for me.

Was I picked on? Yes.

Was I picked on or bullied by a LOT of people? No.

Usually it was the same one or two or three people.

But on the other hand, for reasons I never fully understood, a lot of people stood up for me and I had a lot of friends (or acquaintances, shall we say) in school. These weren't guys who were exactly 'friends'. We knew each other and we would talk, but I didn't hang out with them. But on the other hand, they didn't like to see me getting picked on. I suppose it's because of my disability when I was in school.

That said, it's not like I wasn't able to defend myself. I have no shame in admitting that I towel-whipped a guy into submission after he had the gall to steal my keys. But that's the kind of toughness that you had to have at school if you were going to survive. You can't be a pansy little pushover. As some parents advise their kids: "Never start a fight, but always make sure you finish one".

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
School bullying was an interesting experience for me.

Was I picked on? Yes.

Was I picked on or bullied by a LOT of people? No.

Usually it was the same one or two or three people.

But on the other hand, for reasons I never fully understood, a lot of people stood up for me and I had a lot of friends (or acquaintances, shall we say) in school. These weren't guys who were exactly 'friends'. We knew each other and we would talk, but I didn't hang out with them. But on the other hand, they didn't like to see me getting picked on. I suppose it's because of my disability when I was in school.

That said, it's not like I wasn't able to defend myself. I have no shame in admitting that I towel-whipped a guy into submission after he had the gall to steal my keys. But that's the kind of toughness that you had to have at school if you were going to survive. You can't be a pansy little pushover. As some parents advise their kids: "Never start a fight, but always make sure you finish one".

I tried to fight back, but a small-for-his-age ten-year-old is at a serious disadvantage when matched against one or sometimes two thirteen or fourteen-year-olds. The one time that I successfully fought back, by wielding my heavy leather belt (fitted with a heavy bronze buckle) as a whip, I did drive my tormentors off, and then was accused by our assistant principal of using a weapon.

I was always the shortest and youngest in class until the last two years of high school when I grew to six two. Fortunately, I learned at an early age that a quick shot to the Adam's Apple put an end to aggression by others and rarely faced any more problems. At six four and two hundred sixty five pounds, I stopped seeing bullies.
:D

I tried to fight back, but a small-for-his-age ten-year-old is at a serious disadvantage when matched against one or sometimes two thirteen or fourteen-year-olds. The one time that I successfully fought back, by wielding my heavy leather belt (fitted with a heavy bronze buckle) as a whip, I did drive my tormentors off, and then was accused by our assistant principal of using a weapon.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe