Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There are all sorts of benefits. Back in the '60s, retail company president Edward W. Carter helped raise a lot of charitable funds for the construction of Los Angeles's Music Center. In return, he (well, his company, technically) got the exclusive use of the first balcony's front center row -- for life.

There are all sorts of benefits. Back in the '60s, retail company president Edward W. Carter helped raise a lot of charitable funds for the construction of Los Angeles's Music Center. In return, he (well, his company, technically) got the exclusive use of the first balcony's front center row -- for life.

So they did it for their own enjoyment really. That is no different than those who are all for the endowment for the arts because they like opera etc. Very few benefit---many pay.

An older term used in speech more in our time years ago, and not so popular now as a slang sort of label, some would say, "on the dole", for a reference to being given aid. Now I turn that label to those that are paid by our tax dollars to sit in an office and dream up ways to mess with our lives. They are living a life high above the average hard working kind and decent person and do so while "living on the dole" of the expense of all of us. I give little to no respect for them.

As ironic as it may sound, I do actually bring up in my daily prayers, (yep I do that and have no problem stating it) that in some way that those knuckle heads sitting in office, will be inspired to really do something good, kind, honest, and for the people and not just for their own personal agenda.

Amen! Brother!:eusa_clap

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I give because I want to not because it is good advertising or such. The public be damned.
So nice and yes, so very true.

I find what things I do that are right, and worthy of doing, gives a reward of self value and can burn deep within your mind just knowing you did it for the good of doing it. And further, it is some very sweet moments that can come along later when you bump into someone that you have helped along the way, and they see you someplace and walk up to you and want to say thank you again for what you did. Now that is what I was given by my Father to know and do in life, and is what really is being "wealthy" in life and in a wealth not connected to a checking account.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
So they did it for their own enjoyment really.

Yes, and for business purposes too. Edward Carter would host visiting executives and politicians at Music Center concerts, and invite them to sit in that balcony row.

To Carter's credit, he reserved two of the row's seats for the exclusive use of retired Los Angeles Philharmonic musicians and their wives. (He knew all the musicians there by name.)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well as a by product of what Mr. Carter did in some ways, at least is being enjoyed by the public. He may not have intended for anyone else to have an actual benefit for his own agenda on it, but maybe in the long run, his own "spoiled rotten" desires got the best of him!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The point is why is giving always attached to a name on the building? I'm sure most are happy to accept this along with the check, but really, what's the intent if you REQUIRE the name on the building? "Look at me" or "I did some good"?
The receivers are happy either way, but there's a point there...
It's customary for the largess of benefactors to be recognized by the recipient. This is a custom that goes back to ancient times. One would have to be pretty small to begrudge such a trivial acknowledgement in light of such generosity.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Well as a by product of what Mr. Carter did in some ways, at least is being enjoyed by the public. He may not have intended for anyone else to have an actual benefit for his own agenda on it, but maybe in the long run, his own "spoiled rotten" desires got the best of him!

Oh, he did a lot of things. Helped in a big way to get the Los Angeles County Museum of Art built. Was a University of California Regent for several decades. Stuff like that.

It's customary for the largess of benefactors to be recognized by the recipient. This is a custom that goes back to ancient times. One would have to be pretty small to begrudge such a trivial acknowledgement in light of such generosity.

Largess is a very good term there.
Trivial acknowledgement eh?
carnegie-mellon-university.jpg

Yes, and for business purposes too. Edward Carter would host visiting executives and politicians at Music Center concerts, and invite them to sit in that balcony row.

To Carter's credit, he reserved two of the row's seats for the exclusive use of retired Los Angeles Philharmonic musicians and their wives. (He knew all the musicians there by name.)

Nice. You have a whole center at your disposal and you can bring friends, business cronies, etc and introduce them to the musicians by name. Much cheaper than employing them yourself and providing a venue every time you want to entertain. Good deal.

You've obviously not been the benefactor of such "gifts". When I worked at a major SoCal University, we got a big research lab paid for by a well-known entity. The strings attached - many for vanity's sake - were not trivial. Sure, we benefitted. But it would be nice if it were not so in-your-face about getting an attaboy on top of being wealthier than GAWD. And let's not forget, these things come with nice tax benefits as well...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Nice. You have a whole center at your disposal and you can bring friends, business cronies, etc and introduce them to the musicians by name. Much cheaper than employing them yourself and providing a venue every time you want to entertain. Good deal.

You're right. I do know what you mean: it's a cop-out. And yet, some people (usually the donors' friends and beneficiaries) dismiss this stuff with a wave of the hand and the phrase, "Doing good while doing well..."

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You are so correct. Now some business will in fact make a donation because the want the publicity to promote the business and use the venue of the media coverage merely for the donation they are making...

But yes, many donate and no ones knows it. And there are some that give that want others to know it as they wish to allow others to be able to donate to a cause as well.

Thank you for saying this (and also for defending business owners as not only being out for themselves).

That's not to say that some organizations don't do it for the fame (many do). But if you are a publically held organization, there is some transparency needed in what you do with your money. Also, I want to know what you are donating to, because if it is a cause I disagree with, I sure don't want to buy your product if I can help it.

Last edited:
That's not to say that some organizations don't do it for the fame (many do). But if you are a publically held organization, there is some transparency needed in what you do with your money. Also, I want to know what you are donating to, because if it is a cause I disagree with, I sure don't want to buy your product if I can help it.

Now THERE is a reason to know what they are donating to. I meant more specifically individuals but I can see it for them as well----especially if they are connected to businesses.
Then again, you also gave them a good reason to donate anonymously. :p

To be clear, I don't think anyone is saying (at least I'm not) that nice people don't give, and that all names attached to giving have selfish roots. But it defies logic to think it's all just to do good. My daughter won a scholarship from my company a few years back. The name on it is a well-known person in entertainment with a long history of low-key giving to good causes. I wouldn't take a general sense of what we're saying too far. In the end, the money does good, so OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael