Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The FL users guide to taking good pictures of your new jacket

I've never heard this suggested before... interesting. I'd have thought that too much contrast in terms of subject vs background would be a problem.

DD, what I meant was that the white wall should be to the side of you. To bounce back the sunlight. Use whatever background you want.

Yes, please listen to this. Stick your tongue out or something, anything other than the "cop/gangbanger staredown" look. And don't stand at "attention" unless you're in the military. Even then, don't. Most people look ridiculous standing like that.

Maybe we could post up some acceptable facial expressions. I might upload a few head shots of famous people that members can download to use as masks ;-)

#6- Don't be a tease! We all know what these jackets look like on the bed, floor, ground, etc. What we really want is FIT PICTURES!
Later on, we can compile the FL Users guide to posing in your new jacket (or..."how to look good in public with a horse on your back").

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes, please listen to this. Stick your tongue out or something, anything other than the "cop/gangbanger staredown" look. And don't stand at "attention" unless you're in the military. Even then, don't. Most people look ridiculous standing like that.

That's because people want to know if the fit is good.

You will get a better perception of fit if you look slightly relaxed because that is how you will wear it

frussell

One Too Many
Almost all of these suggestions are right on. The only good photos I've had of my Aero Teamster were outside, in afternoon sunlight, with someone else taking the pix. Much better color representation than indoor lighting. I also agree with the "model" comment. I won't name the site, but there's the same "look at me, I'm standing like a cool guy in really tight pants who is about to do something amazingly adventurous, with one leg forward" pose that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Makes me NOT want to look like that guy, and for me, makes every jacket look the same. For some jacket styles, the arms flapping upwards, as silly as it looks, is also helpful to spot issues with armhole position. Frank

schitzo

Suspended
I haven't seen a thread on this and thought I'd jump on the opportunity....
Any and all suggestions are welcome (both serious and not so....)

In that case I politely suggest that you apply some of this expertise to yourself! And show us the Imperial. I assume your replacement has long since landed, am I right?

As for fit pics in general. I see a lot that focus on the torso area solely, yet for me I'd say shots that show neck to toe (heads are permissible too if you aren't camera shy) are the most useful because with this perspective one is better able to gauge length of a jacket

Mark

Practically Family
I'v been a member here 5 years now and still can't post pics, good or bad! :mad:

Stand By

One Too Many
Can I add, try not to pose like a catalogue model unless that is your job. And try to find a prop, I dont feel comfortable without one. A dog, a beer or a smoke, maybe a hat in your hand or some tool such as an axe or even a sporting gun. These things may detract in some cases from the look of what you are modelling but may make you pose more natural. How about smiling if you dont mind showing your face instead of the 'Dont mess with me' look adopted by so many tv and movie personalities.
Just a few of my ideas, they may not work for everyone but thats how I like to pose haha.

Pose with a gun?
When I very first came across the FL and was searching the web for real info on jackets, I came across a photo of a chap in full RAF garb with the Irvin and RAF boots - in his bedroom (!) in a full action pose a la The Rocketeer - and he was holding aloft a Webley revolver !
I must say, it quite put me off the FL for a little while, as my first impression was to question just who it attracted … so I would say just keep it regular.

I just took some photos of myself in my new Buzz L2-A and I used the self-timer on my camera, our wonky step ladder (for height) and some wooden tongue depressors under the lens to get the right elevation. I should have asked my girlfriend to do it. It would have been much quicker and easier.

Stand By

One Too Many
Nah, I'm asking my girlfriend. She later saw the photos I took and wondered what the hell I'd been doing while she was out …! Better to keep my interest in the open - even if that means boring her to tears.

CBI

One Too Many
these are funny but generally true, good ideas. Outside light for sure, no shadows from trees, etc. Tripod for sure and use the crop feature. I have the Misses take pics but she get impatient after the first shot. Pics worn are what we want. Unworn, we can get that on the retail sites.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had quite a few beers tonite! Quite happy to do some jacket poses with my rifle...airgun actually!! Can do some bedroom shots if required...Irvin...D1...nylons???

Stand By

One Too Many
WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! DANGER!
Don't post anything drunk, mon ami. The internet is forever. Ask Jennifer Lawrence.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks 'Stand By'...things could have gone horribly wrong!......don't want to sully my reputation...will review 'safe' pictures regarding nylons when sober..hic.....in the morning....don't want to end up like one of those so called celebrities...yawn!!

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
My "two cents;" your better half behind the lens. Mine always has a far "better" opinion of what looks good, bad, ridiculous and exceptional. Who knows where those photos may ultimately land, or who will view them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82