Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The finished? cowboy hat

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well, i think i got it down now.

The hat looked similar to this when I bought it at a thrift shop.
64_11.jpg

and is now this
IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

what do you think?
improvement?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
:confused: Dinerman, I am not quite sure where you are headed. The first pic/original looks like the Urban Cowboy/ Mickey Gilley

Urban3.jpg
68b.jpg
look of the early 80's. Your next photo looks like a Fedora bash, well sort of and the next photo I am not quite sure. I don't want to sound critical, I just do not know where you are headed western or dress?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've just got it in a center dent with pinches, with a cut down brim and a non feather band. I cant stand 80's cowboy hats, but the price was right.
my first attempt didn't look that good to me.
it's definately western.

dress? no. It's just my rain and rodeo hat.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The original looks awesome on Madolyn Smith,...but probably no one else on earth. :) Your version looks more authentic. But I can't help wondering if some day in the distant future, your grand children may be cursing you for not leaving the hat in it's original multi-feathered, vintage, and (then) highly collectable condition? :eusa_doh: lol

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
I've just got it in a center dent with pinches, with a cut down brim and a non feather band. I cant stand 80's cowboy hats, but the price was right.
my first attempt didn't look that good to me.
it's definately western.

dress? no. It's just my rain and rodeo hat.

A western hats has as many variations as there are people who wear them. I prefer a cattleman's crease with the brim pulled down front and back. I do this for multiple reasons,
1) it keeps the sun out of my eyes
2) but most important cuts down on the winds ability to remove my hat while on horseback chasing a calf or a gust of wind while mending a fence
Either way chasing a hat across a windy pasture is just a waste of daylight.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Bud-n-Texas said:
Believe it or not I have seen those feather bands in a couple of western wear shops around here. I asked about them and was told they are making a comeback. :eek:

well- a lot of '80's things are coming back that shouldn't.
girls at my school have been starting to wear sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out and neon tights.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
well- a lot of '80's things are coming back that shouldn't.
girls at my school have been starting to wear sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out and neon tights.

It's in full swing in San Francisco. big hair too. large hop earrings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe