Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_.jpg

("If any magistrate does not believe in the gambling laws, it is his duty to resign and run for the legislature." Butch does have a way with words.)

The city's air raid wardens are inadequately supplied with equipment, Mayor LaGuardia charged yesterday, in his weekly radio broadcast over WNYC. The Mayor, who formerly headed the Office of Civilian Defense, stated that the city's request for 22,000 regulation steel helmets from the OCD was filled with a mere 80 helmets, and he went on to denounce his successors at the head of the national OCD. "Before I resigned my office as head of the OCD, I had the $100,000,000 bill passed by Congress," he declared, "and since then nothing has been done. You cannot bind up wounds with armbands, and you cannot put out fires with armbands." The Mayor charged that other cities have been placed in a similar position by inadequate supplies of equipment from the OCD, asserting that San Francisco, as one example, is making do with "1000 helmets and a few armbands," while San Diego received "830 helmets and 1650 armbands." The Mayor's successor as head of the OCD, Commissioner James L. Landis, disputed the charge that wardens are inadequately equipped, promising that "pumps, trailers, gas masks, and other equipment will soon be sent to the cities that need them."

German tank battalions, thrusting toward Russia's rich Caucasus oil fields, have been thrown back by the Red Army in twelve consecutive attacks on the southwest front, it was announced today. Dozens of tanks were reported pounded into wreckage by Soviet artillery as the Germans retreated, leaving over 1500 Nazi soldiers dead on the battlefield.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(1).jpg

(Poor Gargantua.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(2).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Joe. "T'em soichlight guys. T'ink t'ey so hot. Gettin' a pitcha inna papeh. Don' see t'em toinin' no lathes. Don' see t'em makin' no..." "Shhhh!" shushes Sally. "Loose lips sink ships." "Don' see us gett'n no pitchehs inna papeh," grumbles Joe. "Hmph.")

The Eagle Editorialist deplores the wasting of lives that result when tankers carrying gasoline so that Americans can enjoy "aimless driving" are torpedoed. "When a tanker is torpedoed it is normally set afire, and the sea around it becomes a blazing hell as the gasoline burns on the surface of the sea. Men die in those flames, die horribly, screaming in agony. Why? So you and I won't have to walk half a mile to the station? So that you and I can take our usual aimless Sunday drive?"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(3).jpg

(It suffers in translation.)

Mrs. Billy Conn, wife of Pittsburgh's heavyweight title contender, gave birth yesterday to a son, weighing 6 pounds 4 ounces. Conn, recently enlisted as an Army private, was given a short furlough to be at his wife's bedside.

(No word from grandpa.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(4).jpg

("Double Chin" Medwick? It's gonna be a fun summer!)

Radio's most unusual daytime serial moves to 11:15 AM starting today over WEAF, as Paul Rhymer's whimsical "Vic and Sade" approaches its tenth anniversary on the air. Rhymer is one of the true original wits in America today, and his daily story of Vic and Sade Gook, their adopted son Rush, and their rambling Uncle Fletcher, is unlike anything else on the daytime air. Art Van Harvey, Bernadine Flynn, Billy Idelson, and Clarence Hartzell play those roles, and are the only performers ever to have been heard on the program since its debut in 1932. All other characters populating the odd midwestern town where the stories are set appear only in the conversations of the main cast, in one-sided telephone calls, or in long, disjointed letters from out of town. Mr. Rhymer says he churns out each day's script early in the morning, sometimes taking as little as an hour to turn out ten minutes of dialogue. "It's a tough job," he admits, "but when it isn't a tough job anymore I'll know I'm no good!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(5).jpg

(Well, it's better than a labor camp.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(6).jpg

(Point of order -- the actual, historical Napoleon played the guitar, not the drums. Do your research, Tuthill!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(7).jpg

(Never mind these petty manipulations, I wanna know why Leona's sneaking off.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(8).jpg

("This has ceased to be funny!" And Russell Stamm achieves a level of self-awareness that Norman Marsh can only dream of.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(9).jpg

(Although, to be fair, this has definitely NOT ceased to be funny.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_.jpg

"Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff?" Now cut that out.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(1).jpg

I could read this story, over and over again, all day long.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(2).jpg

Never mind the PSA, I wanna see the bodies!

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(3).jpg

"Bleak brained bone head! Bleak brained bone head! Bleak brained bone head!"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(4).jpg

And the "B-B" stands for "Bye-Bye."

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(5).jpg

Who's he working for? Dr. Ping: 3-1, Capt. Blaze 5-1, Dragon Lady 10-1, Singh-Singh 50-1, the Invader 100-1.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(6).jpg

I'm confused. Snipe is still working for Wumple in Detropolis, and Nina works for Dr. Meagher back home. So how is it they can just casually get together after work? Or did Nina never go back home after coming to see Skeezix off? Does she just wander around the park all day until somebody sends her a return ticket home?

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(7).jpg

"The one I feel bad for is MacArthur Wainwright. I mean, what were they thinking?"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(8).jpg

"And now we've got an indoor swimming pool!"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(9).jpg

STOP YELLING IN MY EAR!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Supreme Allied Commander enjoys overall theatre control. Adm Nimitz, other Navy brass
will coordinate fleet movements within tacit understanding while allowing initiative per circumstance.

LaGuardia needs to understand ain't nuttin' wrong with makin' n' takin' a little book.

George Wagstaff signed divorce authorizing $300 monthly child support; however, now comes
plaintiff, frying pan at the ready to cook more bacon. In today's almighty dollar that's a bit over
$9k-whatza da problemo wid da kid?

Last but not least is the right reverend stormin' Norman. Brings home women, drunker ina skunk,
but he's not an Irishman? Francis Raymond...he's a Mick, but serves the American Catholic Orthodox Church?
This ain't no not exactly orthodox kosher Nathan's hot dog we're talkin' bout heres.
And he ain't even playin in the American League. :eek:o_O

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_.jpg

("If any magistrate does not believe in the gambling laws, it is his duty to resign and run for the legislature." Butch does have a way with words.)

Agreed, wonderfully worded, but would have been more effective if he had had a real example as the rebuttal from the Chief Magistrate that Laguardia's accusation is "wholly unwarranted and gratuitous" left it as a "he said, she said" event. Unless it's official department policy and has withstood legal challenge, LaGuardia is wrong on off-duty cops and racetracks.

The dice-game shooting is so 1940s (or 1930s).

The city's air raid wardens are inadequately supplied with equipment, Mayor LaGuardia charged yesterday, in his weekly radio broadcast over WNYC. The Mayor, who formerly headed the Office of Civilian Defense, stated that the city's request for 22,000 regulation steel helmets from the OCD was filled with a mere 80 helmets, and he went on to denounce his successors at the head of the national OCD. "Before I resigned my office as head of the OCD, I had the $100,000,000 bill passed by Congress," he declared, "and since then nothing has been done. You cannot bind up wounds with armbands, and you cannot put out fires with armbands." The Mayor charged that other cities have been placed in a similar position by inadequate supplies of equipment from the OCD, asserting that San Francisco, as one example, is making do with "1000 helmets and a few armbands," while San Diego received "830 helmets and 1650 armbands." The Mayor's successor as head of the OCD, Commissioner James L. Landis, disputed the charge that wardens are inadequately equipped, promising that "pumps, trailers, gas masks, and other equipment will soon be sent to the cities that need them."

LaGuardia woke up full of piss and vinegar today, didn't he.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(2).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Joe. "T'em soichlight guys. T'ink t'ey so hot. Gettin' a pitcha inna papeh. Don' see t'em toinin' no lathes. Don' see t'em makin' no..." "Shhhh!" shushes Sally. "Loose lips sink ships." "Don' see us gett'n no pitchehs inna papeh," grumbles Joe. "Hmph.")

Poor Joe, it wouldn't take much to make him happy.

I just Googled it and that building is now part of CUNY. My guess, before looking, was that, if it was still standing, it had been converted into multi-million dollar condos. CUNY should look into selling it as those type of condos are still pretty hot in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(6).jpg

(Point of order -- the actual, historical Napoleon played the guitar, not the drums. Do your research, Tuthill!)

It's time to wrap up this not-working-at-all storyline and bring back, oh I don't know, Oakdale and Peggy for a bit. He's got to be spinning some war-time BS story.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_.jpg
And in the Daily News...

"Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff?" Now cut that out.

My God that is a perfect Page Four name. No matter how many female workers they bring into the factory, Joe will never be working next to anyone named Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff.

What happened to Ms. Webb and her co-conspirators?

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(1).jpg

I could read this story, over and over again, all day long.

And amidst everything else, somehow, there's a connect to the Catholic Church, I think, or is "The American Catholic Orthodox Church" not associated with the "real" Catholic Church?

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(2).jpg

Never mind the PSA, I wanna see the bodies!

Settle down there, Morticia, I'm sure we'll see them tomorrow.

"I don't care that I was listed last. Nope, not thinking about it at all. Maybe it was done alphabetically. Oh, no, that's not it. But I don't care, it doesn't mean anything. Where's my stuffed squirrel? I want to cuddle with it."
Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Dec_28__1941_(2).jpg

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(4).jpg

And the "B-B" stands for "Bye-Bye."

The writer of the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" must have been a Dick Tracy fan.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(6).jpg

I'm confused. Snipe is still working for Wumple in Detropolis, and Nina works for Dr. Meagher back home. So how is it they can just casually get together after work? Or did Nina never go back home after coming to see Skeezix off? Does she just wander around the park all day until somebody sends her a return ticket home?

I think you're spot on; King's got her living in two places at once. It makes no sense.

And as a day-before-Opening Day bonus, News sports cartoonist Leo O'Meila gives us the 1942 NL race...
Daily_News_Mon__Apr_13__1942_(10).jpg

Looks about right to me.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but when I get my time machine up and running, Opening Day at Ebbets Fields will be my first trip. And, of course, Lizzie, I would not think of going without taking you.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
And amidst everything else, somehow, there's a connect to the Catholic Church, I think, or is "The American Catholic Orthodox Church" not associated with the "real" Catholic Church?

View attachment 418199

No connection. None whatsoever. A few years ago when I lived in Chicago's Gold Coast
an American Catholic Orthodox church was located up the street from my apartment bldg.
Fancy neighborhood ritzy address but never saw another franchise....

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It seems to be a branch of the Eastern Orthodox, intended to be specifically without an ethnic connection, i. e. not Greek, Russian, Latvian, etc. I can't say much for how they screened their clergy.
Last but not least is the right reverend stormin' Norman. Brings home women, drunker ina skunk,
but he's not an Irishman? Francis Raymond...he's a Mick, but serves the American Catholic Orthodox Church?
This ain't no not exactly orthodox kosher Nathan's hot dog we're talkin' bout heres.
And he ain't even playin in the American League. :eek:o_O

No connection. None whatsoever. A few years ago when I lived in Chicago's Gold Coast
an American Catholic Orthodox church was located up the street from my apartment bldg.
Fancy neighborhood ritzy address but never saw another franchise....

Closest religous established church to Roman Catholicism is Episcopalian.
Differences abound, most certainly women ordained to priesthood, though occasionally
married Episcopalian priests are ordained within the Roman Catholic Church.
Theology gets confused sometimes; especially annulment issues, more specifically
Boston's See, home town turf of the Kennedy clan's Catholic parish. :rolleyes::confused::confused:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
... Theology gets confused sometimes; especially annulment issues, more specifically
Boston's See, home town turf of the Kennedy clan's Catholic parish. :rolleyes::confused::confused:
Which of course is how the whole Church of England (the Episcopal Church's parent org) came to pass. Annulments for some- but not Henry and Catherine. Sixteenth Century geopolitics.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
See: Shattered Faith: A Woman's Struggle To Stop the Roman Catholic Church
From Annuling Her Marriage,
Sheilah Rauch Kennedy

Compelling canon law case. Annulment initially granted; appellate recourse Vatican; Rota reversed

Personal---A decade ago; maybe longer, dozen years past, brief professional introduction
to a woman whom I thought was widowed. She called, suggested dinner... A conference in Las Vegas
delayed dinner date, though we spoke several times while I was in Nevada. Learned while in Vegas
she was divorced, and I am Roman Catholic... I arranged reservation after I returned.

Lady was upset, furious. Lapsed Catholic, questioned my bona fides. Being subject to cross inside
a restaurant over excellent grilled salmon was horrible. I did inquire annulment, tried to steer the
conversation back on track but no dice. :(

EngProf

Practically Family
Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff !!
I thought Groucho must be involved here in some way.
"The Supreme Allied Commander enjoys overall theatre control."
They soon split the baby by having TWO Pacific theatres:
Southwest Pacific for MacArthur (Army) and the Central Pacific for Nimitz (Navy).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff !!
I thought Groucho must be involved here in some way.
"The Supreme Allied Commander enjoys overall theatre control."
They soon split the baby by having TWO Pacific theatres:
Southwest Pacific for MacArthur (Army) and the Central Pacific for Nimitz (Navy).

You are correct. And Mountbatten got Southeast Asia.

Interesting aside per slicing Pacific theatre is intelligence dissemination within and without.
Just saw The Immitation Game which focuses Turing at Bletchley Park and MI6 crypts cracking
Enigma; and once done how the fact that it was broken became problematic. How much decoding
magic can be done without Berlin becoming suspicious and the Soviets had planted a mole
inside MI6 code breaker team. Turing knew about him, and he knew Turing was gay. A trade-off
agreed. Later Turing accosts the resident MI6 officer, whom reveals he knows who the mole is,
wants him to continue sending messages to Moscow, since Churchill is too restrictive.
A little peek helps more than hurts the cause. And I recall MacArthur complaining about having to
argue with a similar tight-fisted Navy.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_.jpg

("Allaway uptown," grumbles Joe as he and Sally rattle toward 155th Street aboard a crowded C train. "An' DAVIS pitchin'. I ask ya!" "Well," sighs Sally, "at least it ain' Casey.")

Strong Japanese columns driving northward along the railroad to Mandalay were reported authoritatively today to have crossed the Swa River 23 miles above captured Toungoo, possibly cutting off the Chinese defenders of Yedashe on the south bank of the Swa. Contradictory reports, however, say that strong units of the Chinese Fifth and Sixth Armies are entrenched firmly on the railway north of the Swa, ready to hurl back any assault. Meanwhile, on the western Burma front, Japanese forces are gathering momentum for a renewed assault against weary British defenders, and an Indian-Burma command communique officially acknowledged the capture of Migyaungye, 25 miles below the valuable Minbu oil fields.

President Roosevelt is working today on a program to halt wartime inflation by imposing the strictest controls on the nation's economic life ever imposed. High government officials state that the plan in its essentials is similar to that in force in Canada since last summer, with the Government empowered to freeze all wages, rents, and general prices at levels prevailing on a date yet to be determined. The major problem yet to be resolved is that of excess purchasing power at a time when supplies of consumer goods have been greatly restricted or totally halted, with present plans focusing on either voluntary or compulsory purchases of war bonds. The final decision on the system to be imposed will be made by the President.

Striking back at sharp criticism from Mayor LaGuardia over shortages of equipment in local Civilian Defense operations, Civil Defense Commissioner James L. Landis attributed the delays to faulty planning by his predecessor in that office: Mayor LaGuardia himself. Although he refused to mention the Mayor by name, Landis argued that many specifications prepared during LaGuardia's time as head of the OCD have had to be revised because they consumed too much vital material.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_.jpg

(You can't keep the feuds straight without a scorecard.)

The controversy ignited by Mayor LaGuardia's criticism of city magistrates for failing to strictly enforce gambling laws erupted into a free-for-all today as Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen agreed with the Mayor by issuing a sharp rebuke to the city courts -- and received, in turn, a sharp rebuke himself from Chief Magistrate Henry H. Curran. Mr. Amen charged that "so much leniency is shown to gamblers that police are led to believe that enforcement of the gambling laws is of little consequence. The court records are replete with instances where professional gamblers are let off with nominal fines." But Chief Magistrate Curran retorted that "there is not one word of truth" in the Amen statement, and accused Mr. Amen of contributing to an atmosphere of "general abuse" in endorsing the Mayor's "highly colored" remarks.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(4).jpg
(Among the Somethings New which have been added is a new prize for every Dodger home run: a carton of Old Golds which, during home games, will actually be tossed out of the radio booth by Mr. Barber, to slide down the screen behind home plate and onto the field. The crowd will soon pick up the habit of going "WhoooOOOOOOOOO!" as the carton makes its descent.)

The Eagle Editorialist congratulates Brooklyn's F&M Schaefer Brewing Company on its 100th Anniversary, which provides hundreds of jobs in the borough for brewers, bottlers, drivers, and salesmen, while manufacturing a product that has elevated the company to the status of the nation's fourth largest brewing concern. The EE also notes that the company will soon publish a "striking forty-four page history of the institution and its place in the community."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(2).jpg

(Home Ec class really does need to revise its curriculum.)

Charges of impersonating a Navy officer against an Astoria man have been suspended due to the fact that he is now a private in the Army. 26-year-old Harold Geblick was arrested for unlawfully wearing the uniform of a Navy lieutenant, but while free on bail, was drafted and inducted into the Army, where he is now stationed at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(3).jpg

(Serves ya right, Parrott, for being such a pot-stirrer. SQUAWK SQUAWK!)

Effective April 20, Flatbush radio station WCNW will change its call letters next week to WLIB, and will move from 1600 to 1190 kilocycles on the broadcast band. The reconstituted station has signed new agreements with the American Federation of Radio Artists and Local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians, and will also offer all of its employees a group life insurance plan.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(5).jpg

(Boody's just messing with us now.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(6).jpg

(Somebody really should analyze the Sunken Heights water supply.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(7).jpg

(And not a cold perm, either! TURN UP THE HEAT!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(8).jpg

(Are there ANY happily-married cartoonists?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(9).jpg

(Don't enjoy yourself too much there, Dan.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_.jpg

Butch is having a rough week. And "Barbara Bostwick Lykken Reifsnyder?" Of Jackson Heights? Now that's more realistic, thank you.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(1).jpg

It's a truism of the times that nobody likes double features, but the exhibitors insist everybody likes double features, probably because they make a continuous-shows policy more efficient and profitable. Or something.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(2).jpg

"Hey, what's this pokin' out of the dirt! A bone! I'll save it for Sandy!"

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(3).jpg

Well duhhh, I was wondering when he'd think of that.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(4).jpg

This week's strips brought to you as a public service by your Army Recruiter.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(5).jpg

"The High Command?" That rules out Ping, who was always more of a lone wolf, and Blaze, who doesn't go in much for delegation, and probably Singh-Singh, who's too much of a lunatic for something this organized. That leaves two possibilities: the Invader, and the DL. Hmmmmm. Which of them, in the present circumstance, would cause Patrick greater embarrassment?

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(6).jpg

Really? So I guess this means the head-in-the-tire-press thing is really out?

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(7).jpg

"uhhhh, Sir."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(8).jpg

I don't think we've actually seen where Goofy works. His boss ought to be quite a specimen.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(9).jpg

Don't you hate when the photographer uses too much flash powder?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A sealed verdict in favor of peripatetic Mrs Reifsnyder and Los Angeles is so prox the Apple. :rolleyes:
His Honor the learned trial judge Henry H. Curran is quite obviously a hoss player.
Cannot understand all the opprobrium over horse racing and professional gambling.
When Covid-19 was all the rage and professional sports xcept the hosses were shut down,
my cell phone rang off all day and night with bookies leaving text messages for track bets.
These desperado fast buckers were hilarious. Basketballers mostly, flyin-n-tryin to become
overnite track crows. Trouis, it ain't easy to get the track vibe much less hit lightning. ;):cool::cool::D:D:D:D

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_.jpg

("Allaway uptown," grumbles Joe as he and Sally rattle toward 155th Street aboard a crowded C train. "An' DAVIS pitchin'. I ask ya!" "Well," sighs Sally, "at least it ain' Casey.")

Who's watching Leonora (Sally's Mom I guess)?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_.jpg

(You can't keep the feuds straight without a scorecard.)

You really can't. We need one of those Daily News charts.

Also, I don't care about the "he's immature" stuff - it's the paving stones and labor, stolen from the taxpayers, that is the real story here. From what we've read so far, everything points to the stones and labor having been knowingly stolen. Flynn and others should be tried.

The controversy ignited by Mayor LaGuardia's criticism of city magistrates for failing to strictly enforce gambling laws erupted into a free-for-all today as Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen agreed with the Mayor by issuing a sharp rebuke to the city courts -- and received, in turn, a sharp rebuke himself from Chief Magistrate Henry H. Curran. Mr. Amen charged that "so much leniency is shown to gamblers that police are led to believe that enforcement of the gambling laws is of little consequence. The court records are replete with instances where professional gamblers are let off with nominal fines." But Chief Magistrate Curran retorted that "there is not one word of truth" in the Amen statement, and accused Mr. Amen of contributing to an atmosphere of "general abuse" in endorsing the Mayor's "highly colored" remarks.

A smart woman I know just said, "You can't keep the feuds straight without a scorecard."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(4).jpg

(Among the Somethings New which have been added is a new prize for every Dodger home run: a carton of Old Golds which, during home games, will actually be tossed out of the radio booth by Mr. Barber, to slide down the screen behind home plate and onto the field. The crowd will soon pick up the habit of going "WhoooOOOOOOOOO!" as the carton makes its descent.)

That - the carton sliding to the field - is a great piece of marketing. I bet they sold a lot of cigarettes because of it.

The Eagle Editorialist congratulates Brooklyn's F&M Schaefer Brewing Company on its 100th Anniversary, which provides hundreds of jobs in the borough for brewers, bottlers, drivers, and salesmen, while manufacturing a product that has elevated the company to the status of the nation's fourth largest brewing concern. The EE also notes that the company will soon publish a "striking forty-four page history of the institution and its place in the community."

An informed source has obtained a copy of some of the soon-to-be-published history:

...and so ended 1919, a very good year for our beer sales, which also highlighted Brooklyn's F&M Schaefer Brewing Company's wartime contribution and continued service to the greater Brooklyn community. [Ahem] Then, in 1934, another outstanding year for both beer sales and community service, F&M Schaefer's employment of Brooklynites hit an all-time high.

Charges of impersonating a Navy officer against an Astoria man have been suspended due to the fact that he is now a private in the Army. 26-year-old Harold Geblick was arrested for unlawfully wearing the uniform of a Navy lieutenant, but while free on bail, was drafted and inducted into the Army, where he is now stationed at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

The draft proved to be an incredibly useful deus ex machina for resolving minor crimes and other youthful kerfuffles.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(7).jpg

(And not a cold perm, either! TURN UP THE HEAT!)

A cocktail bar, really, it's the middle of the day. Even Leona waiting until night to do her howling.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(9).jpg

(Don't enjoy yourself too much there, Dan.)

"We'll be ready for you Irwin." [Waits till Irwin leaves] "This is serious, Dan's in real trouble. Get Kay on the phone."

[Ring, ring] "Kay, we need you, Dan's in trouble. Can you find Harrington - I want both of you on this."

"He right here inside, um, sure, I think I can locate Harrington, we'll be right over."

"Irwin will help you too."

"Sigh."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(1).jpg

It's a truism of the times that nobody likes double features, but the exhibitors insist everybody likes double features, probably because they make a continuous-shows policy more efficient and profitable. Or something.

No kidding that was about as unanimous an answer as we've seen from these. My guess, part of the answer is the B movies spread the fixed costs of the studios out over a lot more pictures. Get rid of the Bs and the As look a lot less profitable.

"Excuse me, Joan, Joan Brammall, I have your mother on the phone and she says, and I quote, 'you get yourself home this instant young lady'."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(2).jpg

"Hey, what's this pokin' out of the dirt! A bone! I'll save it for Sandy!"

What are they putting in a subway line? How big do they think that tunnel needs to be?

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(4)-3.jpg

This week's strips brought to you as a public service by your Army Recruiter.

"Were you in the first draft lieutenant or did you volunteer?"

"When's the first time you had sex?"

"What, how dare you!"

"I thought it was ask-an-inappropriate-question day, sorry."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_14__1942_(5).jpg

"The High Command?" That rules out Ping, who was always more of a lone wolf, and Blaze, who doesn't go in much for delegation, and probably Singh-Singh, who's too much of a lunatic for something this organized. That leaves two possibilities: the Invader, and the DL. Hmmmmm. Which of them, in the present circumstance, would cause Patrick greater embarrassment?

I give Normandie and Merrily 12 hours, 24 at the outside, to survive on their own without Pat.

I'm hoping it's the DL, fits better than the Japanese.

First "Dorothy Frothingham Wagstaff", then "Barbara Bostwick Lykken Reifsnyder"...what a week of names!

No kidding, and let's not forget this one from a month or so again, possibly the longest Page Four name ever:

Countess Erica Wilhelma Eva Matria Johanna von Haacke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld