Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The wife of Democratic National Commitee chairman Edward J. Flynn will testify tomorrow before the Bronx Grand Jury investigating allegations that her husband illegally used a city work crew, and city paving blocks, to create a Belgian courtyard at his Long Island estate. Mrs. Flynn is to be questioned about early plans for the paving job, and about her conversations with Bronx officials about the project. Also on the stand will be Mrs. Wilhemina Haas of Tuckhaoe, the landscape architect who designed the courtyard.

It's a pretty good bet Ms. Flynn is huddling with a phalanx of high-price defense attorneys today.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_.jpg

(Hey, it's our old pal the Whimsical Chef from Childs! Keep 'em flyin'!)

I'm not quite sure what iced dinner rolls or orange coconut rings are, but since our Whimsical Chef is involved, I'd give both a shot.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(2)-2.jpg

("Diddey suppena ya brutta?" wonders Joe. "I mean, I 'magine he'd know a lotta 'bout..." "He don'know nut'n," snaps Sally. "'Bout nut'n. B'sides, he join't t' Army. Doin' his patriotic duty." "Judge made'im enlist, huh?" "It was jus' a SUGGESTION."...

Something is off in the way Amen is approaching this huge story. He's uncovered a massive corruption scandal in the police department and he's almost asking the police to handle it through internal discipline. Shouldn't he be going for criminal convictions? Also, if the take (it's not clear, but implied) is one-hundred millions dollars a year, then they mob is buying off the police for peanuts - 1% of the take.

("A PIVOTAL figgeh!" beams Sally. "He awrways WAS goodatttem double plays!" "'Morice Van Robays," shrugs Joe. "Who names a kid Morice Van Robays?" "'At's a typological erreh," declares Sally. "It's 'Maurice." Very dignified name." "Howcum you know so much 'bout t'eh Pittsboigs?" frowns Joe. "You ain' gett'n all funny again a' nut'n -- is ya?" "You'll see," Sally smiles inscrutably. "You'll see.")

Oh no, they got their hands full with one.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(7).jpg

(CALLED IT, sort of.)

And the judges say........Yes, you got it.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(8).jpg

(Well, that's that! Wonder what new strip we'll see here tomorrow?)

Eh, might as well go with "Smilin' Jack." It's not great, but there are plenty of scantily clad women. And, heck, it's better than the "Gordo" strip, at least for the short time we read it.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(1).jpg
Maybe you should have tried a little mustard.

There's got to be something more to the Schwartz marriage story. I'm guessing he's gay, but who knows - something is going on there.

Lizzie, good thing you posted early today as the site seemed to go down just a bit after you got the Daily News up. It's a shame that its gone down a couple of times in the past few days as the recent upgrade, until now, had seem to make the site more stable.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yeah, that's happened a couple of times this week, and I don't know what the deal is. Last time was when I was right in the middle of the upload. I had to be up early this morning for some publicity photos for our next broadcast, so I guess I was lucky to avoid the crash.

I don't get how the statute of limitations on police graft, even at such a vast level, is only two years, and how these departmental trials seem to not result in anything substantial. How about it, Commissioner Valentine? Huh???

I honestly have no idea what Sally's going to do. She's got a mind of her own. I do, however, desperately hope that she doesn't go all Violet Popovich. I mean, the only contact that she ever actually had with Petey was that time he ran into her at the Prospect Park station.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(1).jpg

("GRAFTon Street." Who says Mr. Amen doesn't have a sense of humor?)

Inclement weather today disappointed Brooklyn fans looking forward to the first exhibition game of the year at Ebbets Field, with rain washing out the scheduled first of three contests against the Yankees. Rival managers Leo Durocher and Joe McCarthy are hoping to get in the remaining two games, in order to get their pitchers in top shape for the start of the regular season on Tuesday. The Flock holds a three-to-two edge against the Yanks in the annual cross-borough pre-season series, and tomorrow's contest will be the first at Ebbets Field since the Yankees defeated the Dodgers 3 to 1 to end the 1941 World Series.

President Roosevelt is seriously considering a plan to register women between the ages of 18 and 65 for emergency national service. The President noted today that there have been increasing calls for a voluntary registration program for women to take place on April 27th, the same day men from ages 45 to 65 are required to register, but it is believed that to conduct such a mass registration on one day would lead to "large mechanical problems." If a registration day is held for women, it is understood, therefore, that it would be held after the registration of men up to age 65 has been completed.

The United May Day Committee has announced that the annual parade of labor and left-wing organizations will not be held this year, to allow workers to remain at their jobs and not slow the production of vital war materials. Indoor and outdoor rallies will be held on May 1st, and workers will be encouraged to donate part of their May Day wages to the United Service Organizations and organizations for Allied war relief.

Mayor LaGuardia encouraged consumers yesterday to get used to the idea of buying commodities in bulk rather than taking advantage of the convenience of pre-packaged goods. Speaking in ceremonies at the Brooklyn Civil Defense Office recognizing the winners of the recent Consumer Pledge Contest, the Mayor noted that packaging of flour, cereals and other staple foods uses up resources and labor that could better be devoted to winning the war. The Mayor also warned that consumers should expect the war to last a long time, and that the impending start of sugar rationing will be "only the beginning."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_.jpg

(Clip and save.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(1).jpg

(Seems the night clubs have somehow evaded Butch's campaign against burlesque.)

Broadway's Vera Zorina, recently seen in "Louisiana Purchase," is now headlining at Madison Square Garden, dancing opposite an elephant in the Ringling Brothers-Barnum and Bailey Circus. Zorina says she's never met anyone easier to work with than the elephant, who, clad in a blue ballet skirt, carries her off at the end of their number in his trunk. The number, to music by Igor Stravinsky, was choreographed by George Ballanchine.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(2).jpg

("There's No One With Endurance...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(3).jpg

(Aw, they gave Vaughan Cookie's old number. I wonder if Jack Pierce will yell "ARRRRRRRRRKIEEEEEEEE!")

Oddsmaker Jack Doyle calls the St. Louis Cardinals 13 to 10 favorites to take the National League pennant this year, with the Dodgers quoted second at 7 to 5 and the Reds third at 5 to 1. Mr. Doyle notes, however, that these odds may change at any time. The Yankees are quoted at 2 to 5, one of the shortest prices in history, to repeat as American League champions, with the Red Sox second at 5 to 1 and the White Sox third at 6 to 1. Jack also prices the improving St. Louis Browns at 10 to 1 to break into the first division this year.

The Yankees and the Giants will be back on the air this year, after skipping radio last season. They'll move to WOR, recently vacated by the Dodgers, for their daytime contests, and to WNEW for night games. Only home games of the two clubs will be aired, with Mel Allen at the microphone. And even though the Dodger games have moved to WHN, Red Barber will continue to be heard over WOR in an evening sports summary, Mondays thru Fridays at 9:15 pm.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(4).jpg

(And Doc left town without leaving a forwarding address!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(5).jpg

(That's right, George, stick that nose right out. It'll make it easier for him to smack it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(6).jpg

("Leona, dear, if you're going to meddle, let me show you the right way to do it...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(7).jpg

(Don't think too much about the anatomical implications of this situation, or you'll get a headache.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(8).jpg

("Wouldn't you like to know!" Well aren't we spicy today!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_.jpg

Beating up publishers in nightclubs? What ever happened to civility in politics? And as for Seaman Berg, "beat the stork" is a rather elegant way to describe his purpose.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(1).jpg

"The matter is receiving consideration." Commissioner Valentine is a master of understatement.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(2).jpg

"Sure. All I'll need is twenty sandhogs and a pneumatic drill."

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(3).jpg

Never mind the dick, it's gonna ruin the upholstery!

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(4).jpg

Madame Beardy, is that you?

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(5).jpg

Besides, haven't you heard that deliveries are unpatriotic?

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(6).jpg

Muzz wasn't asleep.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(7).jpg

You'll have your chances soon enough.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(8).jpg

The moocher's life is not an easy one.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(9).jpg

And a pigeon flew right in the door...

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1649603512592.png

I always said, Tracey Ullman for me if I was marooned on an island. If I'm stuck on a damned island, I don't need romance or passion. I need to laugh until my sides ache. And my wife is totally in agreement with that.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^ Gina Lollabrigida, hands down as she appeared in The Hunchback of Notre Dame as Esmerelda.
Backed by Tina Louise, Kim Novack. Linda Darnell. And Shay Knuth, PLAYBOY playmate 1967 or 1968.
Also, Dawn Welles too. I was always torn between Ginger and Mary Ann.;)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(1).jpg

("GRAFTon Street." Who says Mr. Amen doesn't have a sense of humor?)

A good fiction writer, not going for comedy, would never name the street that way. The coincidences that happen in real life can be incredible.

It's great that the tax man is now in on this. It's such BS that some "retired just in time, " as if retiring should protect you from graft or that the statute of limitations is a short two years. The taxman has no such limits as they can come after you for fraud without time limitation. It was good enough to bring down Capone; hopefully, it will get these guys too.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_.jpg

(Clip and save.)

I'm sure there is an exception, as there always is, but the vast majority of bombs dropped from planes in WWII aren't fitting in any normal pail and probably aren't stopping in the attic either.

Oddsmaker Jack Doyle calls the St. Louis Cardinals 13 to 10 favorites to take the National League pennant this year, with the Dodgers quoted second at 7 to 5 and the Reds third at 5 to 1. Mr. Doyle notes, however, that these odds may change at any time. The Yankees are quoted at 2 to 5, one of the shortest prices in history, to repeat as American League champions, with the Red Sox second at 5 to 1 and the White Sox third at 6 to 1. Jack also prices the improving St. Louis Browns at 10 to 1 to break into the first division this year.

2-5 to win the pennant is incredibly aggressive odds. It's a long season and a lot can happen.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(6).jpg

("Leona, dear, if you're going to meddle, let me show you the right way to do it...")

It's nice to see Leona again, but what the heck is she wearing? Also, come on Leona, you're smarter than that.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(7).jpg

(Don't think too much about the anatomical implications of this situation, or you'll get a headache.)

Let's just be glad Boody Rogers isn't writing this strip or you know what part of Mr. Wilt Scarlett would be sitting on.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_10__1942_(8).jpg

("Wouldn't you like to know!" Well aren't we spicy today!)

"Tie him to the bed...take his shoes and socks off."

"Okay, Mr. Spy, talk or I'll tickle your feet."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__Apr_10__1942_.jpg

Beating up publishers in nightclubs? What ever happened to civility in politics? And as for Seaman Berg, "beat the stork" is a rather elegant way to describe his purpose.

As the old joke goes, the first one can come at anytime, after that, they all take about nine months.

Nothing wrong with Alexis Smith, but she probably doesn't quite have Sheridan's oomph.

The moocher's life is not an easy one.

First time I think I've ever felt sad for Shadow:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
In reading this thread the level of loss sustained by Germany is stunning. The flower of their male
gender horribly sacrificed recalls British novelist Barbara Cartland's remark after touring Allied First World War
cemeteries at Verdun, 'A generation of love perished here.'

Virginia Nichols' post World War I social study Singled Out chronicles how two million British girls
went unwed due to the horrendous losses trench warfare inflicted upon the United Kingdom.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_.jpg

(A ball game would really help get minds off the war news, so I don't care if there's six inches of snow on the field. PLAY BALL!)

The first Brooklyn company of 200 uniformed members of the City Patrol Corps will begin active duty, guarding vital defense areas and power works in the borough, within the next ten days. The men may be identified by their khaki uniforms and overseas caps, with insignia bearing the seal of the City of New York. The men will carry city-issued side arms while on patrol duty. The Corps will be organized on a semi-military basis, under the command of a captain, aided by two first lieutenants, three second lieutenants, and one first sergeant. The remaining members will be assigned ranks of sergeant, corporal, and private depending on past experience.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (1).jpg

(How is she sitting like that? HOW IS SHE SITTIING LIKE THAT???)

Four lawyers accused by Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen of aiding and abetting the gambling rackets in Brooklyn must answer to the Appellate Division within ten days to determine if disbarment proceedings should begin. Attorney Peter S. Spitz of 115 Logan Street is accused by Amen of serving as the "dean of counsel" for gambling racketeers in the borough since December 8, 1933. Attorney Jacob Siegfried of 305 Bedford Avenue is accused of serving the gambling syndicate since January 1, 1935. William Lerner of 715 Dumont Avenue is charged with working for the syndicate since January 7, 1936, and Joseph Margolin of 220 Highland Boulevard since March 19, 1936. Should the Appellate Division conclude that charges against any or all of the attorneys should be heard, it will either designate a referee and two attorneys to hear the cases, or decide to conduct the hearings on its own. The charges against each lawyer state that "he did by his conduct directly and indirectly aid and abet in the violation of policy and lottery laws of the State by combinations and organizations of persons engaged in the continuous violation of such laws, and did himself continue in the aforesaid course of conduct."

The Red Army reports further advances on the Bryansk and Leningrad fronts today, with another 4800 Germans killed. Despite thousands of dead, the penned-up 16th German Army trapped in the forests and swamps around Staraya Rus is still making desperate efforts to escape. Soviet sources report the trapped Germans can be supplied only by planes, as the spring thaw approaches. That thaw is expected to bog down airfield runways, eliminating the possibility of new supplies for the trapped Nazi forcces.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (2).jpg

(There's A New World Coming...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (3).jpg

("And you realize if those roots grow under the fence, I get half the crop.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (4).jpg

("I don' t'ink Leo likes pitchehs much," muses Joe. "'At's 'cause he hits like one," agrees Sally. "It makes 'im feel whatcha call 'inadequate.'")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (5).jpg

(Congratulations then! You're a buck private!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (6).jpg

(George Bungle, Man of Action!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (7).jpg

(Meanwhile, John in Panel One says "What's with these stupid itty cups of coffee anyway? I hate being Governor!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (8).jpg

(Point of order: since Scarlett's clothes become invisible when she does, shouldn't the robot suit ALSO become invisible? I don't demand much, but I do demand consistency.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (9).jpg

(Boody's not the only cartoonist with kinks.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_.jpg

All this babble about the fight, and nobody had a camera?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (1).jpg

Given the Magistrate's checkered marital history, kid, I wouldn't get TOO friendly.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (2).jpg

All right, now tell him the REAL story.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (3).jpg

What seminary did you go to, anyway?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (4).jpg

Until this moment I never considered the possibility that Tracy might be one of the Undead, but it does makes sense.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (5).jpg

I can't wait till Wilmer ends up in Army Intelligence.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (6).jpg

At least he's not tied to a bed.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (7).jpg

Know your public!

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (8).jpg

It does take a certain kind of bravado to hand out business cards that say "Capitalist," so you shouldn't be surprised if some take umbrage.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (9).jpg

And by bowling he means "sitting around at the Sugar Bowl swilling soda until he passes out."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_-2.jpg

(A ball game would really help get minds off the war news, so I don't care if there's six inches of snow on the field. PLAY BALL!)

Done cleverly or not, stealing from a poor box is a particularly scummy thing to do. It's up there with the people who sell fake cancer drugs. Hell, hopefully, has a special place for those who do.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (1).jpg

(How is she sitting like that? HOW IS SHE SITTIING LIKE THAT???)

Assuming she's a normal-sized person, that is a humongous-sized cash register.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (1).jpg

Given the Magistrate's checkered marital history, kid, I wouldn't get TOO friendly.

Seriously. Also, by today's standards, it's just wrong, but that sorta "father figure" stuff was more common back then and wasn't always untoward.

Good to see the follow-up on her as that was one of the quirkier little arrests we've seen.

So what time does the aunt make her get home by?

Wonder who is collecting the betting slips now.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (3).jpg

What seminary did you go to, anyway?

I saw "The Great Escape," this is a much-more-complicated and labor-intensive job than they think.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_11__1942_ (7).jpg

Know your public!

That's why they've been renamed "War" not "Defense" bonds.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Initially drawn to that buck ass-no-time-in-grade draftee dumbass who thinks his
Uncle Mister Samuel is going to listen to any grousing, he just bought his ass assignment
as an 11 Bravo-20 Rifleman. I'll let it go instead of arguing any jack leg lawyer particulars
since Maj. Namm and Ms Muller evidently intend extracurricular activity pursuant to the
war effort. Natch. Quite the Kodak snapshot and the gal atop the juke box sezitall. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_.jpg

(Y'know, I've given Valentine the benefit of the doubt all thru the bail bond affair, all thru the Murder For Money investigations, and now this, but I'm pretty much at the end of that particular line. "Thumbs up and heads up?" What does that even *mean,* Commissioner?)

Military strategy should be left to the men who actually fight, warned Attorney General John J. Bennett last night in a speech before the National Democratic Club. Speaking at the annual Jackson Day dinner in Manhattan, Mr. Bennett issued a sharp warning that "public clamor inspired by amateur strategists must not be allowed to dictate military or naval operations, nor force premature moves to be undertaken which may sacrifice lives in useless campaigns." The Attorney General noted that so far, "we have been waging an intelligent war," regardless of "the clamor of amateurs sitting safely in the comfort of their homes far from the battlefront." He also urged those in authority to disregard the defeatist talk of "Munich men and Cliveden sets whispering behind tapestried curtains in private mansions."

Two new victories were chalked up today for United Nations fliers bombing the Japanese invasion base of Koepang, on Timor Island, 300 miles northeast of Australia, where great fires were set, and over Port Moresby, New Guinea, where one Japanese bomber and one fighter plane were shot down during a raid on that base that cause no appreciable damage.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(1).jpg

("Hey, I foun' 'nat Kodak we had -- we c'n take pitchas of t'p'rade an' sen'm t' Solly," declares Joe. "Betteh late t'n neveh!" "Ya foun'na Kodak? What'cha do wit' t' fillum in it?" queries Sally. "You know, wit'tem picshas f'm t' Woil's Faieh?" "Ummmmm" stammers Joe. "T'eah wan'no fillum in it. I f'got t'put fillum innit t'at day. Ain'nat funny?" "Hilarious," eyerolls Sally. "Allat time at Twenny T'ousan' Legs Unneh T' Sea, an' you wit' no fillum. It is to laugh." "Yeah," laughs Joe nervously, "It izzat.")

With the advent of the Victory Suit, the tailoring department at Loeser's announced today that it will donate the clips of wool formerly used to make trouser cuffs to the Red Cross, which will sell the scraps for reprocessing and will use the proceeds to finance its work.

Private citizens have responded enthusiastically to the Navy's call for donation of binoculars for use aboard ship for the duration of the war. Glasses manufactured by Zeiss and Bausch & Lomb are required for naval use, in strengths of 6x30 and 7x50, and may be turned in at 3rd Naval District Headquarters, Room 1520A, 90 Church Street, in Manhattan. Glasses may be provided outright or loaned, and in the latter case, should be tagged with the name and address of the owner so that they may be returned after the war. All donors will receive a payment of $1 per set of binoculars, since the Navy by law is not allowed to accept free gifts.

The Eagle Editorialist endorses Rep. Frederic R. Coudert's bill now before the State Legislature that would add an additional hour of Daylight Saving Time to the present year-round observation of Eastern War Time between May 15 and September 15, thus placing participating counties two hours ahead of Standard Time for that period. "It should be especially desirable because of the likelihood of rationing light and power, would aid war industries, and would give increased opportunity for healthful outdoor recreation." Under the change, the sun would set, at the height of summer, around 9:30pm.

The Army has agreed to allow actor Lew Ayres to service in a noncombatant role in the Army Medical Corps, clearing the way for his release from the labor camp in Oregon where he has been held as a conscientious objector for the past two weeks. However, an executive of Metro Goldwyn Mayer studios declared yesterday that Ayres, who starred in the popular "Dr. Kildare" series, is "washed up" at that studio due to his stand against taking up arms in the war.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(2).jpg

(DAVIS???!!!??? Gee, Leo, that hunch SURE WORKED WELL IN THE WORLD SERIES!)

There will be no pre-season action at Ebbets Field this year, after rain washed out both scheduled games against the Yankees, and the hopes to get in the final game shifting now to Yankee Stadium. But pitchers Johnny Allen, Kirby Higbe, and Hugh Casey all got in some exercise yesterday throwing in the soupy outfield after the game was officially cancelled. Dolph Camilli and Billy Herman, back from Johns Hopkins, were also in uniform yesterday, and splashed around on the infield tarpaulin for an hour or so in hopes of being ready for Tuesday's Opening Day clash with the Giants at the Polo Grounds.

Dodger catcher Mickey Owen was named the Most Photogenic ballplayer in the metropolitan area at the annual exhibition of sports photorgraphy by the New York Press Photographer's Association. One photo in particular, in which the Brooklyn backstop figured right in the middle, was cited as the best baseball photo of 1941.

(Sigh.)

Eagle expert Tommy Holmes says the 1942 World Series will be a Dodger-Yankee rematch, with the incumbent league champions outlasting the Cardinals and the Red Sox in their respective circuits. Tommy says Brooklyn's power will make the difference over St. Louis's speed, and further suggests that the Cardinals will not be able to make up for the loss of Johnny Mize as a home-run threat. But Harold Parrott thinks the Cardinals will edge out the Dodgers this year, with the Yankees repeating in the American League, and the White Sox coming in second.

Opening Day will mark the Dodgers' 53rd year as a member of the National League. Over that span, the Flock has won 27 openers, lost 25, and had one tie, against the Phillies in 1925. Brooklyn has fared poorly in home openers, winning only six out of 21, but they are a fearsome visitor, winning 21 out of 31 openers on the road. The predecessors to the National League Dodgers, competing in the then-major American Association, were 3 and 4 in the seven openers they played in that circuit, beginning with the formation of the club in 1884.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(3).jpg

("Medium-sized idol of the All India Congress?" I guess that's better than being "the Lucius Beebe of the formal bedsheet.")

Old Timer C. H. Strickland remembers the days of 60 years ago, when boys went rabbit hunting along Clarkson Avenue, all the way to Bergen Beach and Flatlands Bay. Also fair game were squirrels, owls, meadowlarks, and any other bird big enough to eat. He further recalls that all the boys were using old muzzle-loader muskets, and powder horns, shot flasks, and percussion caps were all essential items in the field. "All the places we used to go," he muses, "are all built up now."

Orson Welles'' Broadway production of Richard Wright's "Native Son" opens for a week's engagement at the Flatbush Theatre tomorrow, as the theatre again sets aside vaudeville for its usual summer policy of presenting outstanding hits of the legitimate stage. Canada Lee will star, as he did on Broadway, in this story of a "helpless Negro" on his journey from the Chicago slums to the electric chair. This is the third run of the play at the Flatbush, where it held the box-office record for the summer season in 1941.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(4).jpg

("Getting rich off poor honest gold diggers?" Well that'd be a twist for this strip.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(5).jpg

(Yes, well, I'm sure her husband Sinclair Lewis gets some use out of that couch too.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(6).jpg

(Well, at least she isn't in the robot suit.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(7).jpg

("She's pretty much of a loose tooth!" So what does that make Irwin?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(8).jpg

(Who says Jo doesn't have a sense of humor?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(10).jpg

(There's got to be a way to put these skills to use for the war effort.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_.jpg

Miss Gwynne is living proof that "coming events cast their shadows before..."

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(1).jpg

Twitter 1942.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(2).jpg

All right then, here we go!

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(3).jpg

WELL THIS'LL BE GRUESOME.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(4).jpg

Golconda? Boy, Cousin Juniper gets around!

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(5).jpg

Because Second Lieutenants *have to* get married. It's right there in the manual.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(6).jpg
What's next, necromancy?

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(7).jpg

How Justice Triumphed.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(9).jpg

Familiar tactics -- a friend of Dr. Ping, perhaps?

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(10).jpg

Is it just me, or would a version of "Double Indemnity" starring the "Moon Mullins" cast be a lot of fun?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Magistrate Solomon is a bit daff since Ms Kohlman isn't an emancipated minor,
and her father; while obviously strict, nonetheless is within parental right to set curfew.
But the magistrate erred and is subject to appellate correction since Ms Kohlman has
been convicted of accessory to illegal bookmaking, is a minor, and left her parental home
under pretense. Addtionally, Solomon needs exercise more reasonable court behavioral restraint.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Mr Carhart will not be charged with treason but is liable to be charged
with failure to comply with Selective Service induction. A felony, subject to
five years imprisonment and $250,000 fine. Should Carhart resist or wound/kill
a police officer, said action would normally place consecutive sentence.
-----
Ms Weaver, a sixteen days Hollywood mariage with quickie Las Vegas divorce,
misses receiving her former husband's govt life insurance settlement.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_.jpg

(Y'know, I've given Valentine the benefit of the doubt all thru the bail bond affair, all thru the Murder For Money investigations, and now this, but I'm pretty much at the end of that particular line. "Thumbs up and heads up?" What does that even *mean,* Commissioner?)

Too many one-offs disproves the "it's only a one-off problem" argument. The gambling one - with the camera evidence - argues it's not just a few bad apples (and you know it's more than 49). Valentine might not be corrupt, but he is incompetent.

Military strategy should be left to the men who actually fight, warned Attorney General John J. Bennett last night in a speech before the National Democratic Club. Speaking at the annual Jackson Day dinner in Manhattan, Mr. Bennett issued a sharp warning that "public clamor inspired by amateur strategists must not be allowed to dictate military or naval operations, nor force premature moves to be undertaken which may sacrifice lives in useless campaigns." The Attorney General noted that so far, "we have been waging an intelligent war," regardless of "the clamor of amateurs sitting safely in the comfort of their homes far from the battlefront." He also urged those in authority to disregard the defeatist talk of "Munich men and Cliveden sets whispering behind tapestried curtains in private mansions."

Lichty and Clark nod in agreement as one out of three of their strips say the same thing.

Dodger catcher Mickey Owen was named the Most Photogenic ballplayer in the metropolitan area at the annual exhibition of sports photorgraphy by the New York Press Photographer's Association. One photo in particular, in which the Brooklyn backstop figured right in the middle, was cited as the best baseball photo of 1941.

(Sigh.)

Dear Lord.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(5).jpg

(Yes, well, I'm sure her husband Sinclair Lewis gets some use out of that couch too.)

It's a shame old man Rockefeller wasn't around to help poor Gloria out on her wedding day.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(6).jpg

(Well, at least she isn't in the robot suit.)

So "Invisible Scarlett" breaks its storyline on Sunday. That explains why they were easy to follow when we only saw Sunday's strip - still don't like that though as it kills the reality of that strip's world. Nice subversive shot at condescending male behavior in the second-to-last panel.

Even though you're kidding about the robot suit versus the truck, every superhero needs a vulnerability to be interesting. Clearly, locking an invisible person inside something is a good vulnerability. My guess is we'll see Invisible Scarlett locked inside this and that many times in the future.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(1).jpg

Twitter 1942.

I have an aunt (by marriage, hence, thankfully, not in the bloodline :)) who reads and studies a ton of news and will tell you fact after fact like the girl's name Pearl Harbor. Ten minutes with her is an eternity.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(3).jpg

WELL THIS'LL BE GRUESOME.

It's going to be horrible. I usually don't worry about Annie as she's so tough, but this might truly be scarring.

Also, this logic behind this entire effort is flawed as there's no way it's only one old man being tortured, so they should be talking to the police so that the place can be raided. Otherwise, all they'll do is all this work to save one, but the others will still suffer.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(5).jpg

Because Second Lieutenants *have to* get married. It's right there in the manual.

"Incendiary blonde." Good phrase.

While the story telling is okay at best, the illustration work in this one is, overall, impressive.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_12__1942_(6).jpg

What's next, necromancy?

Shadow outsmarts the other guys and gets Susie Q on Sunday. All is right in the world for another week.

Magistrate Solomon is a bit daff since Ms Kohlman isn't an emancipated minor,
and her father; while obviously strict, nonetheless is within parental right to set curfew.
But the magistrate erred and is subject to appellate correction since Ms Kohlman has
been convicted of accessory to illegal bookmaking, is a minor, and left her parental home
under pretense. Addtionally, Solomon needs exercise more reasonable court behavioral restraint.

You're the lawyer and I have no doubt what you say is legally correct, but from my very limited courtroom experiences - jury duty and a civil case - it seems to me that a lot of judges run their courtrooms like mini fiefdoms where they give themselves a lot of freedom that doesn't always align to the law itself. And they seem to get away with it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
- it seems to me that a lot of judges run their courtrooms like mini fiefdoms where they give themselves a lot of freedom that doesn't always align to the law itself. And they seem to get away with it.

And you are correct. But within legal stricture there are lines that can be subsequently
cited to appeal a bench decision and Solomon has needlessly wounded himself
and his judgement by his paternal solicit of Ms Kohlman; ostensibly at least a minor.
And I suspect that Ms Kohlman may be emancipated soon either by marriage,
preggers, or both; perhaps neither and she'll sweat out her time until majority.
She is at that age, and I do not like her indictment for running book, or her father's
justified concern waved away by Solomon. The namesake moniker ain't cuttin no mustard.
Wisdom inside a court of law, bench trial, jury collective, or just plain ol' allocute is rare meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe