Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, and…

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_15__1944_ (3).jpg

C’mon, Caniff, I dare ya.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The Hancock rape trial interests me since the trial judge laid aside the jury verdict yet did not issue
a bench verdict, so the trial will be considered a mistrial and continued with a new jury. Accusation by
Mrs Hancock seems solid.

Terrence and Midi would make a spectacular war torn China couple for Caniff; just joking-howso that
would be the June forecast: immediate combustion. turgid, flammable object of his studied interest.
Court martial galore. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mr. Scroth needs to get better delivery boys.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_.jpg

("I didn't t'ink y'd still be up," comments Joe as he arrives home around 1:30 AM. "Leonoreh's eeh bot'ehrin' 'eh again," sighs Sally. "On'y jus' now fell back asleep. Krause says we'eh s'post'a get some coal Monday, but who knows." "Whassis?" queries Joe, picking up the small buff-colored card on the kitchen table. "Foun' it stuck inna mailbox," says Sally. "Y'c'n see who it's from. "Oh," shrugs Joe. "Notice 'a Classification. Me 1-A cawrd. Huh. Look heeh, t'ey spelt me name wrawng. 'P-E-T-R-A-S-K-A-S.' Left out t' U." "I wish t'ey'd leave you out," comments Sally with a rueful smile. "Nawt much chance'a t'at." Joe rummages in the ice box for the milk bottle, and pours himself a glass. "Y'know," he shrugs, "I use't spell it wrawng me'self. I was inna secon' grade be'foeh I got it right." "Took me a yeeh a' marriage," admits Sally. "But hey, y'know what? Y'know what Leonoreh done? She spelt it right. I wrote it down onna papeh t'eh, an' she knew alla lettehs. Spelt it right out wit'out even lookin'. Ain'even t'ree yeehs ol' an' she knows 'eh lettehs an' can spell 'eh name." "Mus' get it f'm youeh side'a t'fam'ly," comments Joe. "I neveh done no read'n when I was t'at age. I looked at t'pitchehs a' Happy Hooligan inna funny papeh, but I was neveh much f'read'n." There is a long silence. "How much'a t'is," resumes Sally, "you figyeh she's gonna remembeh? I mean, you know, t'wawr, you goin' away, livin' heeh, bein' cold awlatime? How much y't'ink she'll remembeh. "I don' remembeh nut'n about bein' awmos' t'ree," reflects Joe. "'Cept f'-- well, 'cept f'me Pa dyin'." There is another long silence. "Ma said she'd come oveh t'marra -- lateh t'day, I guess," says Sally. "She's gonna bring Willie oveh t'visit wit' Alice an' Krause." "Kid's oveh t'eh so much," suggests Joe, "he oughta jus' move in'." Sally ponders that thought. "Neh," she concludes. "Ma'd neveh go f't'at.")

Brooklyn's campaign for the 4th War Loan Drive officially begins tomorrow with an all-star show of music and entertainment in the Grand Ballroom of the Hotel St. George, presented by men of all of the Armed Forces and the Maritime Service, with music to be provided by the Maritime Serivce Orchestra from Hoffman Island and the 372nd Infantry Army Band. Borough President John Cashmore will speak, along with Nevil Ford of the State War Finance Committee. Local war heroes will be interviewed by representatives of the various services, and among the honored guests will be Mr. andMrs. Leo Levin, parents of Brooklyn's famous Sgt. Meyer Levin, along with Mrs. J. Gardiner Contory, wife of Colonel J. Gardiner Conroy, who was killed at Makin Island while leading the famous Fighting 69th, and Mrs. Anna O'Reilly whose sun Sgt. Francis W. O'Reilly was reported killed when his Flying Fortress was shot down over Germany. Leading local citizens to appear on the dais include honorary campaign chairman Edwin P. Maynard of the Brooklyn Trust Comany, Dodger President Branch Rickey, and Eagle publisher Frank D. Schroth.

Yugoslavian partisan forces under Marshal Josip (Tito) Brozovich struck back fiercely yesterday in two attacks on German supply lines, halting the momentum of German drives into central Bosnia that have capture three Partisan towns. The surprise Partisan assaults were unleashed 65 miles west of the Yugoslavian capital of Belgrade, where units of Tito's 16th Division occupied the towns of Bijeljina and Janja, and 90 miles to the south. Meanwhile, other partisan units drove the Germans out of the Serbian town of Ivanjica.

Everything from a proposal whereby city-operated trucks would be used for the delivery of coal to a Solid Fuels Administration threat to deprive yards not sharing their coal fairly, was being tried yesterday in an effort to bring fuel into thousands of heatless homes in Brooklyn and Queens. Miles J. Goldberg, counsel fot the Allied Coal Dealers Association made known that the truck proposal was being studied by Borough President Burke of Queens. Thousands of calls from Queens residents have flooded into the borough president's office, Goldberg noted. Goldberg also revealed that a directive has been received by Walter J. Dockerill, Solid Fuels Administrator for the New York area. Signed by Dr. Charles F. Potter, deputy to Harold Ickes, it provides that consignments for equipped dealers will be revoked unless they share their coal supply proportionately wiht the unequipped, or "peddling" dealers. The directive came as a result, says Goldberg, of his complaint to Dr. Potter that the larger dealers were deliberately withholding coal supplies from those merchants with no yards of their own, a practice specifically forbidden by Federal regulations.

A Federal tax intended to deter the wealthy from pouring funds into "money losing hobbies" was given tentative approval today in the Senate. Senator Bennet C. Clark (D-Missouri) acknowledged that the amendment, requiring that hobby losses be taxable, was aimed specicially at Marshall Field, Chicago department store magnate, who has invested large sums of money into two money-losing newspapers, PM of New York and the Chicago Sun. But Senator John A. Danaher (R-Connecticut) pointed out that the amendment would also hit such persons as Joseph B. Widener of Delaware, who spends thousands of dollars raising thoroughbred horses at the expense of other taxpayers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(1).jpg

("Yeh!" affirms Alice. "I lived'eeh awl me life, an' I neveh met no two-headed monsteh. Less'ya count t'em Leary boys! You eveh, Siddy?" But Krause, who has allowed young Willie to surround him with a Tinker Toy fence, is too absorbed to reply, as Ma looks on beaming.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(2).jpg

("All right, Harold my boy," declares Mr. Rickey. "Thank you for coming in on Sunday. We have much to discuss my boy, much to discuss." "Yes sir," nods Mr. Parrott, with a grin that he desperately hopes is not too obsequious. "These are critical times,my boy," orates Mr. Rickey, his thumbs tucked into the armholes of his vest as he leans back in his swivel chair. "And every man must do his part, my boy, every man *must do his part.*" "Yes sir," replies Mr. Parrott, his nodding head a blur above the bow tie carefully selected to match the style favored by his new employer. "So it is, my boy, that I must ask you a critical question, my boy, on a matter of utmost concern." "Yes sir." "That question, dear boy, is this." Mr. Rickey rises from his chair, steps around his desk and stands with his impressive bulk looming over his quivering new minion. "Are you," he thunders, "left handed?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(3).jpg

(With a name like "Fontaine Maury Maverick," he'd have to be.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(4).jpg

(Another reason why theatre people like concise titles is that it's a lot easier to put them up on the marquee in the rain.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(5).jpg

("The role of Mr. Wickersham will be played today by Lord Plushbottom.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(6).jpg

(Look, Mr. Maugham, maybe you just shouldn't loan out your books at all.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(7).jpg

(It's been so long, Scarlet has forgotten how to kiss. Little to the right, kid.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(8).jpg

(Can she help it if she subscribes to "Photoplay?" And pity Douglas Fairbanks never tried THAT sail stunt.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(9).jpg

(I don't want to be the one to tell him, but I think Oliver Hardy really ought to stick to comedy.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News..

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_.jpg

Two words of advice, toots -- save your money, and stay away from Charlie Chaplin.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(1).jpg

And do remember to wash your hair now and then.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(2).jpg

And out in a certain Flatlands warehouse, Uncle Frank whistles with delight as another truckload heads off.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(3).jpg

EVERYBODY knows Morse code.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(4).jpg

"Turk Torp, huh? Hmph, these small timers are out of control." And as Corky demonstrates, it's never too late to learn to work the system.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(5).jpg

Bold striped undershirts are a coming trend for Spring.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(6).jpg

And remember kids, stay away from strange men wearing pillowcases.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(7).jpg

You wouldn't think Laughton would have to take a part like this.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(8).jpg

Look, just do what I did and get a mud-colored rug. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_16__1944_(9).jpg

I dunno, Taff, do you really want to fill in all that paperwork? Maybe it's just gynecomastia.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_.jpg

("Francis," huffs Ma, "these amatchaars are gett'n oota control. Loooook at this fool woman here, caaaahlin' attention to haaaarself. And nooow LaGuardia is gett'n back on 'is high haaaarse! Soomthin's got to be done!" "Ahhhhh, Nora," dismisses Uncle Frank. "Ye waaaaary too mooch. In aaaahl these years have ye evarr ONCE been arrested? Even ONCE?" "Well, no," acknowledges Ma. "An' it's b'cause we DOON'T go caaahlin' attention t'ourselves! But these fool amatchaars, they've gaaaht th' coppars lookin' cloose at everywoon! When I went doon t' Bohack's, joost down th' street harr, tharr was a coppar in tharr an' he give me the oye! 'Hello mooothar," he says to me. Th' very oidea!" "Hello moothar," Uncle Frank snickers back. "An' what did ye say t'thaaat?" "Ooooh, Oi twinkled me oye back at'tim," sighs Ma. "aahn'ne give me his place on th' loine at th' meat countarr. But still, 'moothar!' The maan was fifty years ooold if he was a day! Oi'm no moothar t'th' loikes a' him! I'm tellin' ye Francis, soomthin's gaaaaht t'be doon!" "Speakin' o' mootharin'," interjects Uncle Frank, "whaar's the boy?" "Oh," replies Ma, "Oi meant t'tell ye. William's gonna spend th' noite ovarr with th' Krauses. Mistarr Krause praahmised t'bring him back here faar school in th' maarnin. Th' boy does loike th' two'a them so mooch." "Imagine that," chuckles Uncle Frank. "Foony how ahhl that's waarkin' oot." "Isn't it though," muses Ma. "Caaarful, Nora," Uncle Frank admonishes. "Yaaaar twinklin'.")

Memorial services for sixty officers and men who perished in the explosion of the destroyer Turner off Rockaway Point early on the morning of January 3rd were held today at the chapel of the Naval Receiving Station, Flushing and Vanderbilt Avenues, as naval public relations officers finally confirmed the number of men who died in the disaster. Four hundred persons attended the services, including the only officers of the Turner to survive the explosion, Ensign John J. Clemons of Houston, Texas and Ensign Addison LeBoutillier of Canandaigua, New York. Three separate explosions destroyed the Turner, with the blasts shattering windows all along the Rockways, and waking sleepers all along the Brooklyn waterfront. Investigators have not yet determined the cause of the explosions.

The Democratic National Committee will meet in Washington this week to elect a new chairman and to prepare for the 1944 Presidential campaign in which President Roosevelt is now generally regarded as an inevitable nominee for a fourth term. There was little support in the Capital as preparations continued for the meeting for the rumor that Southern Democrats may be planning to bolt the party over a fourth Roosevelt nomination. Observers point to similarities between the present political situation and that of 1939-40, when the President refused to state his exact plans for the approaching election, even as he allowed the Democratic National Committee to pledge convention delegates to him.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(1).jpg

("Rich'ehd Kollmar," notes Alice. "Y'know who he's married ta? Ya pal Dorot'y Kilgallen!" "Meh," mehs Sally. "You seen'im? Slick haieh, poifec' teet', an' a egg-shape head. Not f'me, t'anks. B'sides, he's a ,you know, ackteh. You know what acktehs is like." "I wen' out wit'ta ackteh once," shrugs Alice. "It wasn' so bad. An' ya know what show he was in? Hellzapoppin'!" "Ya kiddin'!" marvels Sally. "Which one was it, Olsen a' Johnson?" "No, neiteh one'a t'em. Butcha re'membeh t'guy t'at wawked back'n foet' crost'a stage carryin'nat plant t'at got biggeh evr'y time? "T'at guy?" snickers Sally. "T'at funny lookin' lit'l guy wit't moustache?" "T'moustache," notes Alice, "wasn' even real." "Teh now," affirms Sally. "Y'see? Acktehs. Phonies f'm t'woid go." "I was disappern'ed," admits Alice. "It was t'bes't'ing about 'im, t'at moustache." "Pity," commisserates Sally. "I still got it," continues Alice. "He give it to me. I got it home in a draweh. I tried t'tawk Siddy inta tryin' it awn, y'know, jus't'see what it'd look like, butcha know, he didn't go f't'at." "Jus' as well," reassures Sally. "Y'know who he'd look like wit' a moustache? Andy Gump." "HE WOULDN' NEITEH!" erupts Alice, her dander rising. "Andy Gump! T'very ideeh! Uncle Bim, maybe, but not Andy!")

Mayor LaGuardia yesterday virtually placed the Police Department on the witness stand, devoting a large portion of his WNYC broadcast to a blanket denial that the department harbors anti-Semitism. The key witness was, in person, Patrolman James Drew, recently acquitted in a departmental trial of charges that he associated with known anti-Semites and subversives. Patrolman Drew was the last "witness" to be summoned to the Mayor's microphone during the broadcast, following testimony from three other policemen, representing the Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish faiths, all of whom agreed that no religious bigotry exists within the department. Drew read a statement he had prepared on his own account, declaring that he was raised in a "good Christian home," and expressed remorse for anything he has ever done that may have "hurt, pained or offended any of my fellow citizens." He noted further that his duties "have brought to me close contact with people of the Jewish faith, and the performance of my duties and my services I submit as bearing out my declaration that I do not entertain any evil antagonism toward any of these good people."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(2).jpg

(Coca leaves in the theatre? Careful what you wish for.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(3).jpg

("Yeah, whatever. I've just been reclassified!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(4).jpg

(Vaughan's "troublesome set of ulcers" walks around on two creaky old legs, is baldheaded, and wears uniform no. 2.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(5).jpg

("Let me think!" As if that ever helped.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(6).jpg

(Oh go ahead. He was welterweight champion of 1912.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(9).jpg

("Listen bud, did you by any chance ever work for Errol Flynn?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(7).jpg

(Scarlet, you're comin' up the wrong riff!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(8).jpg

(But he doesn't even have any teeth!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_.jpg

I wonder whatever became of Miss Philadelphia of 1938?

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(1).jpg

"Associating with enlisted personnel?" Who do you think you are, Ursula Parrott?

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(2).jpg

Terry had dealings with "Sanjak" in 1939, when she kidnapped April Kane and attempted to brainwash her thru hypnosis into becoming her -- ah -- servant. Although Terry, Pat, Connie, and Big Stoop were on her trail, Sanjak escaped by blowing up her own island headquarters and fleeing in a speedboat, leaving April behind. Sanjak was known also as an enemy/rival of the Dragon Lady, so it would make perfect sense to be allied with the Japanese.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(3).jpg

Look, why not just count to two?

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(4).jpg

"Yeah, a card. An ace, with a short A."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(5).jpg

Well you don't have to look so upset about it.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(6).jpg

You go around with THAT moustache and THAT haircut and you wonder what keeps him awake nights???

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(7).jpg

Middle age is a terrible thing.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(8).jpg

HAROLD??? -- WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOUR HAIR?

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_17__1944_(9).jpg

Aw, he signs his full name. That's so respectful.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_.jpg

("Yeh," nods Joe over lunch, "we got a lotta bonds put aside. We bot' been woikin' f'moeh'n a yeeh now, making pretty good money, an' nowhez t'spen' it BUT bonds." "Yeh," nods Miss Kaplan between bites of corned beef sandwich. "I betcheh a reg'leh Rockefelleh. Whatcha gonna do wit' it whenna wawr's oveh, go onna woil' cruise?" "I dunno," shrugs Joe. "Sal wants t'buy a house in Flatbush, y'know? Y'get a nice house out t'eh f' five, six t'ousan. But I dunno -- I mean, Flatbush, right? Now, me, I wanna get one'a t'em 'lectric refrigehratehs. We use'ta have t'is iceman, right? Reg'leh wise guy, awrways makin' cracks. Whatta joik!" "I useta be a iceman," shruges Mozelewski. "All day lawng, luggin' hunne't poun'sa ice up t'ree, foueh flightsa staiehs, t' dames t'at lookatcha like ya doity, awr wise guys makin' cracks. 'Hot enuf fawrya?' t'ey say, ann'ey t'ink it's funny. It'sa hawrd jawb bein'a iceman. I useta do a route in Bensonhoist, an'neh was t'is one guy..." "Waitaminnit," interrupts Joe. "Bensonhoist? Wheh'bout?" "Oh, you know," continues Mozelewski, "oveh t'eh neeh Mapleton. 'Long 18t' Aveneh.'" Joe stares deeply at his co-worker as if seeing him for the first time. "Neh," he dismisses. "T'at guy - he was --- neh." "Heh," chuckles Mozelewski, "'tis one time I seen a guy feed'n a baby, an' suckin' onna bot'l 'imself t'show'eh how it woiked! Whatta characteh!" "Yeh," nods Joe with a forced chuckle. "Ahhhh," snickers Miss Kaplan. "I t'ink t'at's cute. But canya 'magine a guy like t'at inna Awrmy?" "Put a rubbeh nipple onnis canteen!" roars Mozelewski. "Hey, lookit Joe -- hey Joe, howcome ya awl red?" "Hot in heeh," mutters Joe. "I mus' be gett'n a feeveh. I t'ink I betteh absentee fr'm t'is table...")

A crowd of 3500 persons attending last night's kick-off rally for the Fourth War Loan in the Grand Ballroom of the Hotel St. George heard a hero of the Tunisian campaign urge them on to increase their war bond quotas in the name of all those doing the fighting and all those working to support them with materiel and equipment. Captain Karl Wicker described the successful withdrawal of his men from the Mateur sector, and their subsequent successful capture of Hill 523, just south of the famous Hill 609. Speeches by dignitaries were followed by a program of entertainment, with the hilarity capped by a performance by comedian Lennie Kent of his famous song composition "Hold Tight," which had the frenzied crowd bellowing "FISH! FISH!" as Kent howled his repeated lament, "I want some seafood, Mama!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(1).jpg

("Yeh," nods Sally. "Afteh t'wawr, we'eh gonna take awlis money we got saved, an' weeh gonna buy a house in Flatbush. An' Leonoreh's gonna go t' Erasmus, jus' like I done. She's gonna go places." "Jus' like you done," nods Alice. "She's gonna go *moeh* places," insists Sally. "She ain' gonna end up woikin' at Woolwoit's. She's gonna be onna City Council, jus' like t'at Genevieve Oile. An'nen she's gonna be Mayeh, jus' like LaGuardia. She's gonna be onna radio ev'ry Sunday aftehnoon, you wait'n see." "Me'n Siddy ain' decided what we'eh gonna do wit' oueh bonds," shrugs Alice. "I had some, an' he had some, an' now we got 'em awl t'get'eh. Maybe if we have a kid we c'n send'im t'collitch a'sump'n." Sally cocks an eyebrow. "I t'ought you said you was too ol' t'have a kid," she replies. "Ahhh," dismisses Alice. "Y'say a lotta t'ings y'don't mean. Maybe I ain' as old as I t'ink I am, y'know? Y'get t't'inkin' 'bout t'ings. I mean, look'it Siddy an' Willie t'eh. I t'ink he'd like t'have a kid aroun'." "Huh," huhs Sally. "'Magine 'nat.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(2).jpg

(Ma closes the paper, thinking of her son in a German prison camp. She opens it again, and thinks some more.)

All motion picture theatres in Brooklyn and Queens have joined the Fourth War Loan Drive with the goal of "a bond for every theatre seat," to be sold thru a series of special events at each theatre today and tonight. Under the auspices of the Theatre Division of the War Activities Committee of the Motion Picture Industry, colorful rallies featuring war heroes, movie and radio celebrities, Army bands, representatives of patriotic and civic organizations, and leading citizens of each community will be held, with local merchants, churches, and civic groups enlisted to aid in bond selling efforts.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(4).jpg

(Oh, you're too late.)

Funeral services will be held tomorrow in Elmhurst for E. L. "Gene" Rodgers, first baseman of the Bushwicks, and a leading figure in Brooklyn semi-pro baseball for over twenty years. Rodgers, who was 36 years old, died Friday at St. John's Hospital after being stricken while at work at the New York & Queens Electric Light and Power Company. Rodgers had played for the Bushwicks for seven seasons, and had also played for the Bay Parkways and other prominent semi-pro clubs since the age of 16. He had played as a full professional for several seasons as well, with the Binghamton club of the Eastern League, and for the Montreal Royals of the International League.

While plans were pushed today for the city to sell coal from its own yards in response to the continuing heating crisis, Borough President James Burke charged that the present coal shortage has been worsened by "a virtual lockout" of small dealers without their own coal yards who are unable to buy coal from larger dealers. City fuel administrator Edwin Salmon has been authorized to set up emergency stockpiles drawn from the city coal supply for small consumers, such as families living in cold-water flats, but Burke has protested that plan, arguing that the real problem is with the lockout of small independent coal dealers who would be able to supply their customers easily -- if they had the coal they need to operate.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(5).jpg

("The wild spending of Larry MacPhail is a thing of the past." Well, duh.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(6).jpg

(There's a reason why they have trouble renting.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(7).jpg

(Sorry, he'll be in Cassino by the time you get back.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(8).jpg

(Hey, those are MY shoes!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(9).jpg

(I think the students are the least of your problems. Have you measured your head lately?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(10).jpg

(Awwwwwwwwwww)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_.jpg

Jeeeezuz.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(9).jpg

"And if you think I'm gonna mention his name, ya crazy!"

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(1).jpg

"You may hit ME!" A FINE hit man is recognized by his impeccable grammar.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(2).jpg

How great novelists get their start.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(3).jpg

Walt's job, in case you were curious, is sales manager for a firm that manufactures wicker porch furniture. How's the war treating you?

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(4).jpg

"Itchy?" Nick wouldn't bother to pick these guys off the sole of his shoe.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(5).jpg

In wartime, everyone has to learn to improvise.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(6).jpg

Better wear your hat, kid, or nobody'll know you.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(7).jpg

The pelican's on a guaranteed contract.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_18__1944_(8).jpg

Do you know the meaning of the phrase "other inclinations?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_.jpg

("May ya head hang inna gutteh," snickers Alice. "I'm gonna remembeh t'at one." "It suffehs in translation," nods Sally. "I been loinin' a lot f'm Papa G," says Alice. "Ya cawl'im Papa G now, huh?" notes Sally. "Well," shrugs Alice. "Sometimes. I t'ink he likes it, but, y'know, he p'tends like he don't. He's got five kids'v 'is own, y'know. Foeh boys 'n a goil, anneh awl grown up an' moved away. I t'ink he likes havin'a kid aroun'a house again." "A t'oity-nine yeeh ol' kid," chuckles Sally. "I'm young f'me age," sniffs Alice. "Gett'n youngeh awla time," agrees Sally.)

With arrangements being made to move Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter to Sing Sing Prison for execution, it appears the convicted underworld murder kingpin still has a few cards left to play in his efforts to avoid the trip down that dark corridor from which many pass never to return. There were rumors yesterday that eminent counsel will be engaged to fight for Lepke's life up to the last minute before the electricity crashes thru his body, forever removing the possibility that his agile tongue may cause embarassment for those in high places. Among the possibile legal maneuvers that may be extended on Lepke's behalf might be to call attention to the failure of the New York State Court of Appeals to reach a unanimous ruling on the handling of Buchhalter's trial by the Kings County Court. The rumors circulate even as a hand-selected squad from the Department of Corrections escorts Lepke from Federal custody to Sing Sing. Buchhalter was convicted, along with Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss and Louis Capone, of orchestrating the 1936 murder of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen in order to prevent him testifying before the racket investigations of then Manhattan District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey.

Mayor LaGuardia today has before him the unanimous resolution of the City Council requesting from him a full statement of his position on the case of Patrolman James L. Drew of the Liberty Avenue precinct, recently acquitted in a Police Department trial of involvement in anti-Semitic and subversive activities. The Mayor has given no indication of what he will do with regard to the resolution, and Bronx Democratic Councilman Louis Cohen expressed the view that "the Mayor may do something about the resolution, but I doubt it." Cohen further denounced as "an act" the appearance by Patrolman Drew and three other police officers on the Mayor's Sunday broadcast, where they testified that there is no discord within the police department. Councilwoman Genevieve Earle, Brooklyn Fusionist and a strong supporter of the Mayor, observed that one good thing to come out of the Drew affair is a clear Police Department regulation banning all members of the force from consorting with any group, or possessing any literature published by any group, that advocates prejudice on the basis of race, color, or creed.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(1).jpg

("See here, Francis," says Ma, shoving the newspaper across the table. "Oi b'lieve this lady moit be some relation to Sidney Krause. Is tharr anything that can be doone?" Uncle Frank looks over the paper. "That's oop in Boerum Hill, isn't it?" he observes. "Oi have a -- client -- there. Oi think soomethin can be doone. But here now, are ye sure she's a relation? Look there, it's not even th' same name." "Doos it really mattar?" queries Ma. Uncle Frank ponders that thought. "Noo," he concludes. "Oi don't b'lieve that it does.")

A police directive prohibiting young girls from visiting the Armed Guard Center in Bay Ridge was seen last night as an important part of a campaign to reduce wartime delinquency among girls in the neighborhood. At a meeting of the 68th Precinct Community Council, members heard from Navy Lt. William Pitt, who acknowledged the problem of young girls consorting with sailors at the center, and emphasized that the real solution to the problem lies with efforts by citizens of the neighborhood who have a duty to see that young girls are properly supervised. In addition to the problem with girls loitering around the base, Navy officials further encouraged civic leaders to do something about small boys who prey on sailors with luggage-carrying rackets.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(2).jpg

("The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" is very high on my list of the funniest films of the talkie era. How high depends on how recently I've seen it, but any time I see it I marvel at how much Mr. Sturges was able to shove past the Breen Office.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(3).jpg

("You married Pa after the last war. What happened?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(4).jpg

(Absolutely, Mr. Holmes. It'll never happen. And Brooklyn COULD support two clubs -- how about putting the Bushwicks in the American League?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(5).jpg

(Krause wouldn't stand for this in HIS building!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(6).jpg

(SURE RUIN THE MOMENT)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(7).jpg

(He really DID work for Errol Flynn. And also for Aimee Semple McPherson.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(8).jpg

(Good thing Scarlet is an Infallible Judge of Character!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(9).jpg

(NO YOU'RE NOT A LAP DOG!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_.jpg

"Lambie?" I mean, I'm all for pet names in a relationship, but there's a line.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(1).jpg

"Whatta lotta b'loney," scoffs Miss Kaplan, chewing vigorously on her liverwurst sandwich. "Hey, Joe," she continues, with a swallow, "you gonna finish t'at? Whassat, brisket? Howja get brisket? You mus' know somebody!" "G'head," eyerolls Joe. "You leavin'?" queries Miss Kaplan. "Hey b'foeh ya go, couldja bring me one'a t'em donuts?"

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(2).jpg

Tracy's always been a thug at heart.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(3).jpg

Mr. Gray takes on corrupt small-town law enforcement. At least it's not the ration board.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(4).jpg

Classifieds Get Results!

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(5).jpg

"Why Women Cry."

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(6).jpg

Actually, Walt was a real stepper in the days of the Peabody, the Turkey Trot, and the Bunny Hug.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(7).jpg

Pretty good with the high kick, too.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(8).jpg

"Ah well, it's better than Marmite."

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_19__1944_(9).jpg

"And stop fooling around in machine shops unless you're trained!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_.jpg

("Well now," chuckles Uncle Frank, "Oi'm here t'say thaat if it's oop to any'a me customaars, baaahnd sales are roonin' far ahead'a projections. Jimmy an' Danny tell me they been takin' ordarrs for baaahnds with ev'ry d'livery they make! Oi go out parrsonal an' buy those baaahnds, an' th' boys haaaand d'liver them when they go baaack t'pick oop th'empties!" "A prooud maan doin' his bit," nods Ma. "Oi am that," nods Uncle Frank, draining his two-cents-plain. "A coontry thaat's been as good t'me as this desaaarves ahll Oi can give back. Oi do wish they'd harrry oop, though, an' bring back Prohibition. Oi don't waaant t'faaahl behoind on me quota!")

Claims that anti-Jewish sentiment is spreading among the Arabs in Palestine are largely "propaganda spread by people interested in inciting racial strife," according to Senator James M. Mead (D-New York.) Giving an informal account of the recent tour of the battlefronts by five U. S. Senators, Senator Mead pointed out that he had not met one Arab during his trip who had anything to say against the Jews or their presence in Palestine. "There may be some feeling among the Arabs," acknowledged the Seantor, "but they are interested mostly in closer things. They want a higher degree of self-govewrnment and a chance to raise their educational level." The Senator spoke at a meeting of the Men's Club of Temple Beth Emeth, Church Avenue and Marlborough Road.

Three and possibly six Western states will refuse to have anything to do with persons of Japanese ancestry for years to come, regardless of whether they were born in Japan or the United States. So stated newspaper correspondent Bruce Thomas, speaking yesterday before a meeting of the Brooklyn Rotary Club at the Hotel Bossert. The Imperial Valley of California, noted Thomas, has made it clear that the presence of the Japanese will not be tolerated there after the war, declaring that "we in the West have had our belly full of Shinto temples in this country. We warn you in the East that you can have them in the future." Thomas asserted that the FBI had information that "a large number" of Japanese natives now living in the US "celebrated Pearl Harbor Day" last year.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_.jpg

("A stock goil?" marvels Alice. "F'seven'y five dollehs a week?" "At's Hollywood fawrya," shrugs Sally. "I was a stock goil when I stawrted at Woolwoit's, anney on'y paid me ten!")

Admiral Chester Nimitz's Central Pacific offensive was extended hundreds of miles westward into Japanese Empire waters this week with an unprecedented raid on the hitherto impregnable Japanese-mandated Caroline Islands. Nimitz, commander in chief of the Pacific fleet, announced late yesterday that long-range Navy planes of Fleet Air Wing 2 blasted important shore installations Monday on Kusaie Island at the Eastern tip of the Caronline. Kusaie Island is a strategic air base suspected of being a staging point for enemy fighters and bombers now reinforcing the Marshall Islands ot the north.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(1).jpg

("Yeh," nods Miss Kaplan. "F't'fois' time in me life, I'm sittin' pretty. Y'know what I was doin' befoeh t'wawr? Slingin' hash inna beanery in Red Hook. A gal can't stay in stockin's lawng on what I was makin' innat jernt. T'is heeh's swell woik at good money, an'nif t'em monkeys inna awfice t'ink I'm goin' backta waitin' tables afteh t'wawr, t'ey c'n put t'at right back wheah t'ey foun' it. Not on ya tintype, buddy!" "I ain' goin' back t'slingin' ice, I'll tell ya t'at right now," adds Mozelewski. "How 'bout 'choo, Joe? Whatta you wanna do afteh t'wawr?" "I useta woik inna pickle fact'ry," shrugs Joe. "It was awright, I guess. T'brine kinda makes ya eyes hoit aftehr'a while. I kin'a like t'is woik heeh, but, I dunno. I guess, well, awl I really wanna do afteh t'wawr is -- come home." "You getcha notice yet?" inquires Miss Kaplan. "Neh," replies Joe. "You'll come home," assures Mozelewski. "Ain'no way t'eh put'n a guy like you inna infantry." "Whassats'posta mean?" protests Joe. "Ya too valuable," rushes Miss Kaplan, making a cut-throat gesture. "Yeh," nods Mozelewski, realizing his gaffe. "T'at's right. Too valuable." "Well," growls Joe, clutching his wounded pride. "Awright t'en.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(3).jpg

(The worm will turn.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(4).jpg

(I strongly endorse Mr. Walker's suggestion of recording baseball broadcasts for the troops overseas, and I suspect the OWI will as well. But I hope they store them somewhere where someone, oh, eighty years later, might be able to FIND them.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(5).jpg

(Oh, how often have we heard THAT lament, "you'll have to crawl under the dog.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(6).jpg

(CUT, cut! "Hunky Dooly?" Look kid, get the line right, we don't have all day!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(7).jpg

("Freeport? Ew, why couldn't she be found in Maspeth?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(8).jpg

(Look, sultry poses don't work IF HE CAN'T SEE YOU.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_20__1944_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG is a boring old pill.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld