Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As wires flood into the White House congratulating him for last night's Fireside Chat declaring the present crisis "an emergency as serious as war itself," President Roosevelt continued today with his plans for all-out material aid to Great Britain. The President followed up on his broadcast pledge for further aid to Britain by inviting Arthur B. Purvis, head of the British purchasing mission in the US to a luncheon meeting at the White House this afternoon. The President noted today that the telegrams received by his office are running 100 to 1 in favor of the program laid out in his speech last night.

In Brooklyn, response to the President's remarks is equally favorable. A street-corner canvass conducted by the Eagle this morning found only one criticism of Mr. Roosevelt's program, with Dr. Homer D. Lindgren of 160 Columbia Heights expressing the belief that the President "failed to hit the nail on the head by neglecting to appoint a one-man administrator to handle defense." Otherwise, Brooklyn sentiment was universally positive. Certified public accountant Harry Abramowitz of 305 Linden Boulevard declared that he thought the speech "expressed the opinion of more than 95 percent of the people in the country," while Italian-American citizen Thomas Torillo of 127 Palmetto Street, a member of the American Labor Party, called the speech "wonderful. About time he came out and told the people what's what. He should have done it a long time ago."

The speech's local impact can be gauged by a drop estimated at fifty percent in ticket sales at Brooklyn motion picture houses, despite the fact that poor weather would ordinarily have boosted the number of moviegoers. One local taxicab driver told the Eagle he parked his cab at the busiest part of the night just so he could tune in on the President's broadcast.

Axis response to the speech, however, warned that steps proposed by the President, if implemented, would amount to "undeclared war." Virginio Gayda, prominent Fascist editor, wrote in today's edition of Il Giornale d'Italia that "the speech only confirmed the passage of the United States from neutrality to non-aggression to a state of war." Berlin, by contrast, was silent on the speech, with no note of the address taken in the official Nazi press. It is believed, however, by reliable German sources, that response may come in the form of a speech by Hitler himself.

London saw the fiercest night raid of the war so far last night, with smashed and blackened ruins strewn thruout the heart of the British capital. Scores of landmarks were damaged or destroyed, including the Guildhall and the Church of St. Lawrence Jewry in the Guildhall yard, a building designed by Sir Christopher Wren and where Dick Whittington worshipped.

A 40-year-old former U. S. Deputy Marshal fell from the roof of his estranged wife's apartment building in Flatbush early this morning. Police say Isadore Messer is in critical condition at Kings County Hospital after he fell from the roof of the six-story building at 301 Sterling Street, landing atop an adjacent rooftop four stories below. Detectives found a loaded revolver on the roof of 301 Sterling, along with a twenty-foot length of rope and a piece of radio aerial wire looped around the building's chimney, and believe that Messer used the rope to lower himself down the side of the building to gain entry to his wife's apartment thru a window. The rope snapped under his weight, dropping him onto the roof of 289 Sterling Street. Messer told police he wanted to visit his wife, from whom he has been estranged for some time, but found her door locked.

The president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, Brooklyn religious organization, is being sued for a share of the profits from a Cleveland radio station by a former partner in that commercial enterprise. Judge Joseph Franklin Rutherford of 124 Columbia Heights is named as defendant in the suit filed today in Brooklyn Supreme Court by Anton Koerber of Washington DC, who had represented the religious organization in the nation's capital. Mr. Koerber charged that he and Judge Rutherford formed a partnership in 1928 to purchase for $10,000 radio station WHK in Cleveland, which they operated for the next six years on a commercial basis, and that Rutherford deliberately concealed his involvement in the partnership -- using one M. Arnold Howlett as his "dummy" in the Cleveland operation in order to ensure that his religious followers were unaware of his involvement in the commercial enterprise. Mr. Howlett subsequently served on the board of directors of the National Association of Broadcasters, and is named as a co-defendant in the lawsuit filed by Koerber, who charges that when the station was sold in 1934for $250,000, Rutherford and Howlett conspired to cheat him out of his share of the profit. Judge Rutherford, serving as attorney for Mr. Howeltt, filed a statement in response to the suit, calling Mr. Koerber's charges "a mass of verbiage and superfluous allegations."

Two men and three women were arrested in Jamaica, Queens today as the first effect of a city-wide anti-vice crusade proclaimed last week by District Attorney William O'Dwyer. Defendents Anthony Santos, age 33, and 34-year-old Domingos Almeida of 106-26 159th Street were charged with operating a house of prostitution at that address. One of the three women charged in the case was taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_.jpg

(Wong's Garden says "HMPH.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(1).jpg
(Smile, Gary, it's almost over.)

The Eagle Editorialist congratulates the President for his outstanding speech last night, "one of the ablest and most effective of his career," and declares that his views so ably expressed clearly reflect those of "the vast majority of the American people." "The worn-out catchwords of 'isolation' and 'intervention' are virtually meaningless in this new world crisis," the EE contends. "What is required is the sort of decisive action that will best meet American needs."

Thomas Francis Nevins, MD, writes in to condemn all the sob-sister stuff about dogs accused of biting people, and points out that the recent death of a Brooklyn man from rabies points to what he sees as the need for far more restrictive dog licensing laws. Ideally, he would like to see dogs banned from the city entirely, and restricted only to suburban and rural locations where these "poor dumb beasts" would not be restricted to an "urban hothouse existence."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(2).jpg

(My uncle was once hit by an oncoming train at a crossing, while driving an oil truck. Miraculously, both he and the truck survived -- and he didn't learn a thing from the incident.)

"The Grapes of Wrath" has been named the top picture of 1940 by the New York Society of Film Critics, with Charles Chaplin earning honors as Best Actor and Katharine Hepburn honored as Best Actress. John Ford, who helmed the film adaptation of John Steinbeck's bestselling novel, was named Best Director.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(3).jpg
(Why do all hockey photos look exactly alike?)

The biggest crowd to see a hockey game at Madison Square Garden this season packed the house last night to see the Rangers come from behind for a 3-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs. The turnstiles logged 15,562 fans last night, and coach Frank Boucher says his boys "always put out better when the house is full. Enthusiasm is contagious!"

All those jokes about Yankee pitcher Lefty "Goofy" Gomez being a good fit for the Daffy Dodgers are getting tiresome. The Dodgers haven't been the "Daffiness Boys" of old for many years now, and Sports Editor Jimmy Wood says it's time all the "goofy Brooklyn" jokes just stopped. He himself spearheaded a drive a few years back to get all the worn-out Brooklyn jokes off the radio, and he thinks maybe it's time to bring back that campaign.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(4).jpg
(As Doc turned, ever so hesitantly back to his infernal machine, he felt a cold sweat breaking out on his forehead. "What if they figure it out?" raced the thought thru his fevered mind. "What if these guys finally figure out that I have no idea what I'm doing, that I'm just making it all up as I go along? WHAT THEN?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(5).jpg
("Oh what low nonsense! What about the law of conservation of matter?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(6).jpg
("Wait, I know you! You're that man we just got rid of, that Leach! You just drew that moustache on with a fountain pen!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(7).jpg
("That's wonderful, old chum! Did you know the Canadian Air Force is taking American pilots?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_.jpg
Remember kids, never play with blasting caps!

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(1).jpg

Hey, at least he was honest about it.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(2).jpg

Ahhhh, me and a bag full of nickels.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(3).jpg
My eyes are bothering me today, and they're making me see strange things. I could have sworn the guy in the polka dot bathrobe was Larry MacPhail.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(4).jpg
"Now where's dat La Plata at? Time to finish him off!"

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(5).jpg
Where's that polar bear when you need him?

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(6).jpg
RRRRRRRRRRiiiiiiipppppped from the headlines!

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(7).jpg
"Oooops, sorry Ma'am, I got the wrong truck!"

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(8).jpg
"Thugs seek redemption" seems to be quite the trend right now.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(9).jpg
"Now now, dear boy, where would Stuart Canin be today with an attitude like that?"

...Two men and three women were arrested in Jamaica, Queens today as the first effect of a city-wide anti-vice crusade proclaimed last week by District Attorney William O'Dwyer. Defendents Anthony Santos, age 33, and 34-year-old Domingos Almeida of 106-26 159th Street were charged with operating a house of prostitution at that address. One of the three women charged in the case was taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment....

It's probably not the best time for Senga to visit NYC.

...Thomas Francis Nevins, MD, writes in to condemn all the sob-sister stuff about dogs accused of biting people, and points out that the recent death of a Brooklyn man from rabies points to what he sees as the need for far more restrictive dog licensing laws. Ideally, he would like to see dogs banned from the city entirely, and restricted only to suburban and rural locations where these "poor dumb beasts" would not be restricted to an "urban hothouse existence."...

Our has-lived-his-entire-life-in-NYC Springer Spaniel, who does not look pleased (he keeps muttering "poor dumb beast you say" under his breath), would like to have a word or two with Dr. Nevins.
IMG_7425.jpeg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(6).jpg ("Wait, I know you! You're that man we just got rid of, that Leach! You just drew that moustache on with a fountain pen!")...

Now having met Miss Rankin's fiancee, I'd say she'd be better off with Slim. What were the odds on that?

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(2).jpg
Ahhhh, me and a bag full of nickels....

"New York's official New Year's pie." Really? That's the slogan they came up with?

"...enjoy my tingling tang." Uh-huh.

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(3).jpg My eyes are bothering me today, and they're making me see strange things. I could have sworn the guy in the polka dot bathrobe was Larry MacPhail....

I'm enjoying the Hu-Shee show and Dr. Ping is a good character, but I wouldn't mind an update on Pat, Dude and Raven (and April). Heck, I wonder how the Captain and Cheery are doing.

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_30__1940_(4).jpg "Now where's dat La Plata at? Time to finish him off!"...

How long is this thug-looking guy going to hang around outside their house peeking in their windows till somebody gets suspicious?

And as we prepare to bid farewell to 1940, enjoy a rapid-fire review of the year in comics....

montage.png

Perfect one of Senga

Oh Nick, come back to us.

No Club Buccaneer?

Tootsie got a raw deal.

April, Raven, the Dragon Lady and Hu-Shee deserve at least a square.

Is that Joy, I almost didn't recognize her with her clothes on?

...Hu Shee and Terry are off hiding together.

And Hu Shee and Terry off screen:

Terry: Are you sure this is okay
Hu Shee: Yes, go ahead
Terry: I want you to know, I respect you
Hu Shee: Yes, yes, you respect me, now go ahead
Terry: I just don't want you to feel any regrets, we can wait
Hu Shee: Got it, check, I'm good, go ahead
Terry: Do you want me to leave the room as you get ready?
Hu Shee [taking her dress off with Joy Beaverduck like alacrity]: No, not necessary, now let's get those clothes off of you
Terry [beginning to faint, voice fading]: Aren't you suppose to be wearing something under the dress? [Hits the ground like a sack of potatoes]
Hu Shee: Oh for Christ sakes [thinks for a moment and, then, calls downstairs] Dr. Ping, how old are you?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Adolf Hitler today promised his troops that "the year 1941 will bring completion of the greatest victory in our history," because Germany "stands armed as never before." The Nazi Fuehrer's New Years' address to the German armed forces blamed "the democratic war-inciters and their Jewish-capitalist string pullers" for the continuation of the war, and assured Germans that their sacrifices over the past year have shielded Germany from "a conspiracy of scorn and hatred." Hitler made no mention whatsoever of President Roosevelt's speech Sunday night outlining the United States program for aiding Great Britain, but informed German sources state that a response will be published shortly in the German press, which will dismiss that speech as "undignified in tone, weak in argument, and not convincing."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_.jpg

Heroic dogs saved the lives of their humans in two separate incidents today, proving once again that canines are indeed "man's best friend." Shortly before 4 AM, a fire at the home of Louis and Fannie Radnowitz at 332 Alabama Avenue in Brownsville roused Snookey, a mongrel dog and the mother of three puppies. Snookey and her pups commenced a furious barking that woke the Radnowitzes, who then awoke fellow tenant Max Levy, and together they managed to extinguished the flames. Police observed a trail of kerosene in the stairway between the second and third floors of the building, and are investigating the fire as of suspicious origin.

Earlier this morning, a fluffy little poodle dog named Whitey smashed a window to save his mistress from death by asphyxiation. Patrolman Terrence Jennings from the Miller Street precinct passing by the apartment building at 2770 Fulton Street heard the window break, followed by high, sharp barking, and entered the apartment to find Mrs. Florence Rooks lying on the kitchen floor with three gas jets on the stove wide open. Whitey and a canary bird had been shut in the next room away from the fumes, but evidently Whitey sensed that something was wrong and broke the window to call for help. Mrs. Rooks, who is about 40 years old, was revived and taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment.

(UP YOURS, DR. THOMAS FRANCIS NEVINS.)

A 9-year-old Jamaica boy is recuperating today after surviving a dramatic operation to repair an accidental stab wound to his heart. Little Richard Guerin had been sitting on his bed at the family's home at 89-32 138th Street cutting out paper toys with a large pair of scissors, when he heard a radio program come on that he liked. He ran into the next room to turn up the radio, and then leaped back onto his bed -- forgetting that he had left the shears tucked into the covers with the points facing up. The blades impaled the boy thru the heart. He screamed, and pulled the scissors out of his chest, and his father Edmund Guerin stuffed a handkerchief into the wound and ran two blocks, with the boy in his arms, to Jamaica Hospital. Surgeons there removed the heart from Richard's chest to stitch up the wound and then carefully placed it back into position. When Richard awoke from the operation, he apologized to his parents for spoiling his mother's birthday. Mrs. Guerin had just turned 30.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(1).jpg

Tonight will be the noisiest, wettest New Years' Eve since the heady days of 1929, with unemployment down and the National Defense program having put plenty of folding money into Brooklyn's pockets. Bars, nightclubs and restaurants are well-stocked and raring to go, and police will have extra patrols in the streets tonight to ensure that nightowls up to greet 1941 don't get into any trouble. It'll be on the cold side tonight, so be sure to dress warmly for your nighttime revels.

(After their night at Roseland, Joe and Sally plop down in their chairs and look at the calendar. "Well," says Joe, tossing a cold can of Schaefer in the air, "'Issizzit. Outtadoorwitcha, Nineteenfotty, an' inwitcha, Nineteenfottyone. Gimme't opn'a." Sally frowns and then sighs. "Ah, wat'tahell. Gimme a sippat'at. To Nex' Yeeah!" "T'nex' yeeah!" toasts Joe, punching a hole in the can. "Here's ta Pres'dn't Roos'velt, an'...an' Wen'nel Willkie...an' Mayah LaGuardia...an' Missa O'Dwya...an' Larry MacPhail...an' Leo...an' Camilli...an' Ducky...an' Cookie...an' W'itwyatt....an' Koiby Higgsby...annat Frankie Germano, gawbless'm." "An' Petey. Don'fugget Petey. He's gonna hit t'reehunned in nineteenfottyone, you watch!")

Six hundred and forty-eight radio stations affiliated with NBC and CBS will drop all music licensed by the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers at the stroke of midnight, as the contract dispute between the radio networks and the organization representing the copyright interests of the nation's leading songwriters shifts into high gear. You'll still hear "Auld Lang Syne" as 1940 becomes 1941, but only because that selection is in the public domain. Such uncopyrighted tunes will be very much in evidence on the air as the New Year begins, along with songs administered by the newly-formed Broadcast Music, Incorporated. New York's network stations have all signed with BMI, but most of the city's independent broadcasters, including WNEW, WHN, and WMCA, have signed new pacts with ASCAP to ensure that music licensed thru that organization will remain available to their listeners. Several of the smaller stations in the city have contracts with both agencies, but station WEVD has signed with neither, and will depend entirely on public domain music for the forseeable future.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(2).jpg

(This looks promising -- maybe she and Sparky should get together!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(3).jpg
(In case you slept late in 1940...)

The Brooklyn social worker released from custody by Mexican authorities after she was held on suspicion of involvement in the assassination of Leon Trotsky has issued a written statement denying all connection to that crime. Miss Sylvia Ageloff, who has refused to meet with reporters since returning to her father's home in Brooklyn Heights this week, stated that she was used as a "political football" by Mexican authorities, and insisted that she had no foreknowledge of any plot against Trotsky when she introduced the exiled Bolshevik leader to her former boyfriend Frank Jackson. Jackson subsequently was charged with being the assassin who killed Trotsky with a pick ax on August 21st. Miss Ageloff further stated that she was a friend and admirer of Mr. and Mrs. Trotsky, and had no "political affiliations" at all. She concludes the statement by expressing her wish to return to life as a private citizen, and regrets that she is still "too ill" to meet with the press at the present time.

Reader S. W. writes in to deplore the current state of the moviegoing experience, with "bingo, banko, and bunco" games taking up time and money that could be used to present some good vaudeville acts along with the feature picture. Chain theatres are a big part of the problem, suggests S. W., stating that "our amusement fare was much easier to digest when the theatres were individually owned."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(5).jpg

(According to Mr. Gallup, only 37 percent of Americans in 1940 attend religious services. There is no statistic on the number of Sunday School dropouts.)

The Fordham Rams and the Texas Aggies are ready to square off tomorrow afternoon at 2:15pm Brooklyn time in the annual Cotton Bowl football game, before what is guaranteed to be a sellout crowd of 45,507 in Dallas. Odds as of today are 9 to 5 favoring the Aggies, with very little money down on the Rams.

The Baseball Executive of the Year according to the Sporting News is Walter O. Briggs of the Detroit Tigers, who was cited by the baseball weekly for his work in building up his team to World Championship status in 1940, and for expanding Detroit's Briggs Stadium to its present status as one of the American League's outstanding facilities.

(On the fourth floor of 215 Montague Street, Downtown Brooklyn, a secretary rolls her eyes as she taps on a closed, locked door. "Mr. MacPhail," she calls plaintively, "Everyone is leaving early for the holiday, and they're turning the lights out. Are you going to stay in there all night." In response, a heavy ashtray emblazoned with the imperial seal of the Hohernzollerns crashes thru the glass window of the office door and bounces off the reception-room wall. The secretary sighs, buttons her coat, snaps off the light, and heads for the elevator. "I wonder," she sighs, "if the Giants are hiring.")

The Dodgers may regret passing on Monte Pearson, Yankee pitcher traded this week to the Cincinnati Reds. The Flock had sniffed around the 31-year-old hurler after Yankee general manager Ed Barrow set him out on the bargain counter, but decided not to take a chance that he will recover his form. The Reds, however, figured $20,000 wasn't too much to pay if Pearson's rheumatic right arm is back in shape in 1941.

The Dodgers will face the Yankees ten times in springtime exhibition games in 1941, three of them at Clearwater after the Flock breaks camp in Havana in late March, and the rest on the traditional barnstorming tour of the South as the teams head back to New York.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(6).jpg

(The real kind, not that ickie stuff the networks are feeding you.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(7).jpg
("Throw out the clutch?" And roll uncontrollably down the hill? All right then.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(8).jpg
(It's like he can see eighty years into the future.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(9).jpg
(Say "keed," how'd you end up with this loser?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(10).jpg
("Two weeks?" No wonder you went to prison. A good thug is never a clock-watcher.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_.jpg
$15 apiece at the Rainbow Room? What do you get for a complimentary noisemaker, Artie Shaw?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(1).jpg

You can tell who didn't read "Live Alone And Like It."

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(2).jpg

OK, you guys are so smart, what does the code in the RKO pictures logo say?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(3).jpg
Fools! The Blue Tiger would never be so obvious!

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(4).jpg
An Andy Gump-Paul Bunyan teamup? Well, it's different.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(5).jpg
Look, bud, can't you just use an icepick?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(6).jpg
You know, with a lot of these coupes, you can take the back cushion off the seat, and there's a big compartment extending back into the trunk. Lots of leg room.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(7).jpg
"Let me tell you a story, my friend. A story about another thief I knew, long ago..."

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(8).jpg
Harold has not seen Lillums since he got home. He knows where she is, and has made no effort to go see her and talk about everything that happened between them. We can conclude that it isn't Lillums at all that he's wrapped up in -- it's the *idea* of Lillums. And Lana, poor naive Lana, hasn't got a chance against that.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(9).jpg
Oh well, at least poor Willie found a friend.

... View attachment 296626
Heroic dogs saved the lives of their humans in two separate incidents today, proving once again that canines are indeed "man's best friend." Shortly before 4 AM, a fire at the home of Louis and Fannie Radnowitz at 332 Alabama Avenue in Brownsville roused Snookey, a mongrel dog and the mother of three puppies. Snookey and her pups commenced a furious barking that woke the Radnowitzes, who then awoke fellow tenant Max Levy, and together they managed to extinguished the flames. Police observed a trail of kerosene in the stairway between the second and third floors of the building, and are investigating the fire as of suspicious origin.

Earlier this morning, a fluffy little poodle dog named Whitey smashed a window to save his mistress from death by asphyxiation. Patrolman Terrence Jennings from the Miller Street precinct passing by the apartment building at 2770 Fulton Street heard the window break, followed by high, sharp barking, and entered the apartment to find Mrs. Florence Rooks lying on the kitchen floor with three gas jets on the stove wide open. Whitey and a canary bird had been shut in the next room away from the fumes, but evidently Whitey sensed that something was wrong and broke the window to call for help. Mrs. Rooks, who is about 40 years old, was revived and taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment.

(UP YOURS, DR. THOMAS FRANCIS NEVINS.)...

One, yes, to your note to Dr. Nevins and, two, I believe this is the second time in a week that a patrolman, just walking his beat, either stopped a crime or saved a life. Having police out on the streets really does make a difference in so many ways.

...A 9-year-old Jamaica boy is recuperating today after surviving a dramatic operation to repair an accidental stab wound to his heart. Little Richard Guerin had been sitting on his bed at the family's home at 89-32 138th Street cutting out paper toys with a large pair of scissors, when he heard a radio program come on that he liked. He ran into the next room to turn up the radio, and then leaped back onto his bed -- forgetting that he had left the shears tucked into the covers with the points facing up. The blades impaled the boy thru the heart. He screamed, and pulled the scissors out of his chest, and his father Edmund Guerin stuffed a handkerchief into the wound and ran two blocks, with the boy in his arms, to Jamaica Hospital. Surgeons there removed the heart from Richard's chest to stitch up the wound and then carefully placed it back into position. When Richard awoke from the operation, he apologized to his parents for spoiling his mother's birthday. Mrs. Guerin had just turned 30....

Darn impressive for 1940 surgical skills.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_31__1940_(2).jpg
(This looks promising -- maybe she and Sparky should get together!)...

I'm hoping it's better than Sparky.

Conversation overheard at the offices of "Smilin' Jack:"
Editor: It looks like we'll have some new competition.
Joy: I don't see what the big deal is, I can already do that.
Editor: Read it again closely Joy, she can make herself, not just her dress, invisible.
Joy: Oh.

Tonight will be the noisiest, wettest New Years' Eve since the heady days of 1929, with unemployment down and the National Defense program having put plenty of folding money into Brooklyn's pockets. Bars, nightclubs and restaurants are well-stocked and raring to go, and police will have extra patrols in the streets tonight to ensure that nightowls up to greet 1941 don't get into any trouble. It'll be on the cold side tonight, so be sure to dress warmly for your nighttime revels.

(After their night at Roseland, Joe and Sally plop down in their chairs and look at the calendar. "Well," says Joe, tossing a cold can of Schaefer in the air, "'Issizzit. Outtadoorwitcha, Nineteenfotty, an' inwitcha, Nineteenfottyone. Gimme't opn'a." Sally frowns and then sighs. "Ah, wat'tahell. Gimme a sippat'at. To Nex' Yeeah!" "T'nex' yeeah!" toasts Joe, punching a hole in the can. "Here's ta Pres'dn't Roos'velt, an'...an' Wen'nel Willkie...an' Mayah LaGuardia...an' Missa O'Dwya...an' Larry MacPhail...an' Leo...an' Camilli...an' Ducky...an' Cookie...an' W'itwyatt....an' Koiby Higgsby...annat Frankie Germano, gawbless'm." "An' Petey. Don'fugget Petey. He's gonna hit t'reehunned in nineteenfottyone, you watch!")...

:)

... Daily_News_Tue__Dec_31__1940_-2.jpg $15 apiece at the Rainbow Room? What do you get for a complimentary noisemaker, Artie Shaw?...

Gable and Lombard were quite the 1940 power couple.

So, how will they get the stitches out of the kid's heart? I don't think they had dissolvable stitches back then.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Lizzie: How can Joy sit up with a waist that small?

You're right about that, I wonder if Joy wears a girdle all the time, to keep her waist so tiny. I've read back then some women have had 20-24 inch waist measurements, and in reality one can only achieve this with a waist cincher.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn is all hung over from last night, so no Eagle today -- but the News is, as ever, on the job...

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_.jpg
Just keep your hands in your pockets, and wear your pocketbook strap across your body, and you'll be fine.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(1).jpg
Mr. O'Dwyer's already got a headache as he wakes up this morning, and now he's got another one. Better take your B-1, Bill.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(2).jpg
"Inhabited by Papuans, formerly cannibals." Thanks for clearing that up.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(3).jpg
"He has shown an interest in the careers of several stage figures." Yeah, there's a word for that.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(4).jpg
"Huh," says Joe, pressing an ice bag to the side of his throbbing forehead. "They din' call us." "We ain' got a phone," sighs Sally.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(5).jpg
"Norma An'erson!" sniffs Sally. "Always walkin' 'roun wit'ta nose inna air like she was always smellin' somet'n bad!" "I thought t'ere 'uz two S's atta enna "Erasmus," mumbles Joe. "Go backta bed," sighs Sally.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(6).jpg
Ah, if only.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(7).jpg
I hope whoever ASCAP is paying to monitor every station for violations is getting a lot of money. By tomorrow at this time he or she will be thoroughly sick of swing arrangements of "Clair de Lune" and "Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair."

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(8).jpg

In his darkened office at 215 Montague Street, Leland Stanford MacPhail, his red face even redder than usual and his clothing in extreme disarray, crawls out from under his heavy, ornate desk, glowers momentarily at the moosehead on the wall above him, stumbles to his feet, kicks three empty rye bottles out of the way, flings the window open, and bellows out to an astonished early-morning scattering of Borough Hall stragglers, "I LOVE YOU JIMMY POWERS!"

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(9).jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the funnies...

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(10).jpg
Go -- and sin no more.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(11).jpg
"Well, I'm sure learning a lot about who not to loan money to..."

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(12).jpg
North Quebec? That's not all that impressive.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(13).jpg
Sure, you're in a life-or-death struggle against genocidal invaders. But that doesn't mean you can't have a little fun.

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(14).jpg
"Look, Boss, I see what the problem is here. This is 'Dick Tracy' -- but you're acting like it's 'Batman.'"

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(15).jpg
"Progress is Our Most Important Product."

Daily_News_Wed__Jan_1__1941_(16).jpg
It's good to see that the tradition of the friendly, helpful milkman continues on into 1941.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe