Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Collector Mindset

I purchased my first home in 1974, a small prewar built house. I purchased it from the original owner. The basement was filled with about 30 years of 'Look' and "Life' magazines. Surprisingly they were worth nothing. Recycling had yet to become a 'thing' so I ended up putting them out in small batches for the trash collectors.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I saved all my pre-1940s patterns and the newer ones I MIGHT make or if I REALLY liked it lol. I went from 4 huge plastic bins to one small one. Cleared up and ENTIRE CORNER in my basement. I also had my 1940s buffet STUFFED with them. Once unstuffed, I had room to put all the family photos I had.

My "rockabilly drawer" was a time capsule from 2013 when I was heavily into that scene. Once I got rid of all that, I was able to shuffle around my clothes that were squished in drawers lol. The dresses are slowly but surely moving. Some of the nappier ones I gave to goodwill. I will keep some of them. The ones I made are starting to become fabric for crafts.

I know my magazines aren't worth anything. I don't know....maybe if I sold them off all at the same time they'd bring in something, but I don't see that happening (like my dresses). I don't want to get rid of them anyway. I will pull a random one out and read it cover to cover before bed. Better than staring at a bright screen and I get to either re-live MY nostalgia (1990s SPIN) or imagine a nostalgia I never lived (1920s Photoplay). They are in three really long, heavy bins under my bed so they aren't in the way.

^^^^^^
Which is why I have few regrets over tossing out all those magazines 25 years ago. And why I don’t begrudge a person for charging whatever that person might get for selling them today. It’s a real PITA, I’d imagine.

LostInTyme

Practically Family
Well, here I am, 9 plus years into this thread, and 78 years into life. I didn't really start collecting until I reached 50. Then just bought stuff I liked, and lots of it. Nothing exotic, nothing really expensive, just a lot of stuff. Sure, I have given some away, sold off some of my stuff, but there is still WAY MORE than anyone needs to deal with. And, sure, the stuff I treasured and collected has gone out of fashion, and no-one seems to be interested. So, it'll probably be donated or trashed. So be it. I enjoyed the hunt, I enjoyed the collections, and, for the most part, I have enjoyed my life with a few notable exceptions. The car wreck wasn't any fun, the Army wasn't any fun, and a few more that will go with me to the grave. So, if anyone is interested in Murano Glass Clowns, Mid Century Modern Art Glass, Wooden Nutcrackers, or electric trains, let me know, and I can probably get you started on your own collection(s).

Happy hunting........................

Well, here I am, 9 plus years into this thread, and 78 years into life. I didn't really start collecting until I reached 50. Then just bought stuff I liked, and lots of it. Nothing exotic, nothing really expensive, just a lot of stuff. Sure, I have given some away, sold off some of my stuff, but there is still WAY MORE than anyone needs to deal with. And, sure, the stuff I treasured and collected has gone out of fashion, and no-one seems to be interested. So, it'll probably be donated or trashed. So be it. I enjoyed the hunt, I enjoyed the collections, and, for the most part, I have enjoyed my life with a few notable exceptions. The car wreck wasn't any fun, the Army wasn't any fun, and a few more that will go with me to the grave. So, if anyone is interested in Murano Glass Clowns, Mid Century Modern Art Glass, Wooden Nutcrackers, or electric trains, let me know, and I can probably get you started on your own collection(s).

Oh crap, I never even knew Murano glass clowns existed let alone thought of collecting them................until this moment!!!

I have collected little glass animals for over 50 years now. The collection is over 200 of them. They make for awesome souveniers as they take up so little room both while travelling and when home on display. And at least for now I can recall the where and when they were each purchased. In a tip of my hat to Tennessee Williams it is my own modest glass menagerie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld