Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The elusive block and flange

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Yes, companies were different - as were their products. Even blocks from the same company differs ... it was long before CAM/CNC. Who made the "true" #52 - and who made the "true" Columbia? I haven't got a clue :)

Absolutely. I totally agree that in the days before CAM/CNC there was a slight difference in the production of a companies line. Maybe even a 3%-5% difference. I don't believe that there is any "true" #52 or true Columbia. Also peoples preference comes into play as well. I will say though, I have handled a few 52 blocks from different manufactures and NONE of them were as straight and flat as Columbia blocks. I own a 52 from Lundstrom and a Columbia block from Lundstrom, so there must have been a difference if they made a distinction.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I own a 52 from Lundstrom and a Columbia block from Lundstrom, so there must have been a difference if they made a distinction.

Yes, there was at least a distinction with some suppliers - but not with others. Is a Macintosh a computer? Yes. Is it a personal computer? Yes, it absolutely can be. Do you meet people, that distinguish between a PC and a Mac? Yes, indeed! Some people protest wildly, if you call a Mac "a PC" :)

I have seen that as well, but many block manufactures designated a difference between 52 and Columbia. If you have ever seen a Columbia and a 52, they are most definitely not the same. Perhaps National Hatters Supply Co was one of those companies who produced the very straight shouldered 52 blocks, but other manufactured 52 blocks I own which have rounder shoulders could not be confused for a Columbia.

Yup. Side by side the difference is subtle, but apparent, at least with the examples on my shelves.

What little I recall ever seeing on the Columbia style was in scans of catalog pages dating from the ... heck, I don't remember. The 1930s, maybe? Or even the '20s?

Last edited:
Yes, companies were different - as were their products. Even blocks from the same company differs ... it was long before CAM/CNC. Who made the "true" #52 - and who made the "true" Columbia? I haven't got a clue :)

Nor do I. Sometimes it seems the only consistency is inconsistency.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Variation however slight is what makes life interesting. I'd hate to wear the same hat as the next guy. I left that behind when I retired from the Army.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Here it is, a "Columbia" style hat, from a Sears catalog of 1938 ...

Yes, I have seen it in several pictures from old hat catalogs. Very full, indeed! I never thought of "Columbia" in that context, though I'm very familiar with the Bonneville project. I thought, the hat model was older. Interesting! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82