Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce, do you have a link for that bad-boy? It looks really cool... *tweaking*

To be honest, I don't have it yet, but the one I'm getting is this little beauty:
takara_base2.jpg

Center photo, foreground.

EDIT: N/M--found it. "Panic button", huh? Now if only some hacker'd figure out how to recode it to be able to be bound as the "launch nuke" key in assorted computer games...lol

Socrets

Familiar Face
Thank God for my Akubra

I got another silly comment about my plastic hat cover just last night. I was about an hour and a half late for rehearsal (Strike for a different play went longer than expected) and I had thrown on the cover on because I had to walk a good distance in the freezing rain. So I walk in and the first words out of the female lead's mouth were

"Why do you have a shower cap on your hat?" I just shook my head and grinned.

On the bright side, my Akubra Stylemaster came in today!! So no more hat cover for me (and, sort of regrettably, no more comments about my hat cover.)!! Just au natural, the way it was meant to be!!

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Finally it Happened...

Well, I've been sporting fedora hats for about 6 months now, and every single comment I received was positive. Really kinda boosted my hat-o-meter and built up the confidence so to speak. However, today on the way home from a real busy day at work I was walking through Suburban Station in Philadelphia when some punk teens called me Inspector Gadget. My first inclination was to turn around and return a snide remark about their mamma, but I bit my tongue and just smiled. Oh well, guess it was inevitable. :)

Stoney

Practically Family
Inspector Gadget!

kowalskt63 said:
Well, I've been sporting fedora hats for about 6 months now, and every single comment I received was positive. Really kinda boosted my hat-o-meter and built up the confidence so to speak. However, today on the way home from a real busy day at work I was walking through Suburban Station in Philadelphia when some punk teens called me Inspector Gadget. My first inclination was to turn around and return a snide remark about their mamma, but I bit my tongue and just smiled. Oh well, guess it was inevitable. :)

I think I would take that as a complement.

lol lol

Doh!

One Too Many
kowalskt63 said:
However, today on the way home from a real busy day at work I was walking through Suburban Station in Philadelphia when some punk teens called me Inspector Gadget. My first inclination was to turn around and return a snide remark about their mamma, but I bit my tongue and just smiled. Oh well, guess it was inevitable. :)

Next time try, "Go Go Gadget fist-to-the-face!"

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ELI ELI, LAMA SABACHTHANA.

Clearly I have been forsaken by the gods.

It finally happened. Yesterday after Greek Philosophy, the class for which I am a GSI (that means "graduate student instructor" which is Berkeleyese for Teacher's Assistant), I was walking within a mass of students as all classes let out at the same time.

Behind me, let's say 3-5 people behind me (so far away enough to where I could believably pretend I didn't hear it, but close enough to where it was not polite for this person to speak about another human being in 3rd person) I hear:

(undergraduate dork, perhaps 18 years old by voice): hey dude. Nice hat. [obviously I said nothing as I do not speak to people who do not address me to my face, nor to "dude." The dork, frustrated by his failure to get attention, then continued.] You look like Indiana Jones. Hey dude. Nice shoes. Are you an archaeologist? [The funny thing is, I am a doctoral student in a program entitled "the graduate group in ancient history and mediterranean archaeology."]

(second undergrad): Hey ... shut up ... that's my GSI for the class I'm in!

Finally there was silence. I kept walking.

Doran said:
Clearly I have been forsaken by the gods.

It finally happened. Yesterday after Greek Philosophy, the class for which I am a GSI (that means "graduate student instructor" which is Berkeleyese for Teacher's Assistant), I was walking within a mass of students as all classes let out at the same time.

Behind me, let's say 3-5 people behind me (so far away enough to where I could believably pretend I didn't hear it, but close enough to where it was not polite for this person to speak about another human being in 3rd person) I hear:

(undergraduate dork, perhaps 18 years old by voice): hey dude. Nice hat. [obviously I said nothing as I do not speak to people who do not address me to my face, nor to "dude." The dork, frustrated by his failure to get attention, then continued.] You look like Indiana Jones. Hey dude. Nice shoes. Are you an archaeologist? [The funny thing is, I am a doctoral student in a program entitled "the graduate group in ancient history and mediterranean archaeology."]

(second undergrad): Hey ... shut up ... that's my GSI for the class I'm in!

Finally there was silence. I kept walking.

I would have spun around and said: "I also grade based on who you hang out with by the way." :eek: ;)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Ahh, give em a break.

jamespowers said:
I would have spun around and said: "I also grade based on who you hang out with by the way." :eek: ;)

Ok. I'm a college prof. So sue me (no, I take that back!). :eusa_doh: Anyway, my two cents. I also live on a college campus and am constantly surrounded by folks who are, in the words of Emo Phillips, "born a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse". ;) I have always had a quick "come back" button. But I've found it doesn't really help much. So my experience as a neuroscientist, an old dude (I don't think so but comparatively, yes), and a good deal of foot in mouth syndrome, I say let it go!

At best, they are telling you that they don't understand you. :eek: :eek: And that they are insecure socially (thus I've seldom had such comments when it is just one student and myself- frequently when there are groups). So. At the risk of offending, I'd remind us all that we are the smart ones- we are, after all, the ones in the hats!! :rolleyes:

I generally smile and keep going. If necessary to make eye contact, I ignore the remark and smile or say, "Gee. Do you really think so?" I've just found that this is often an ill developed frontal lobe and a somehow aroused amygdala (emotions). I.e., I think the comments often have very little to do with us or our hats. If you reply caustically you will define the event for them as appropriately angry or suspicious. If you can somehow engage the rest of their brain (often limited in experience- sometimes neural material [huh] ) you at least have some chance of them learning something. Maybe I am lucky that we have a small campus and community or I'm so out of it I'm just ignored as the old coot. Who knows.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mtechthang said:
I generally smile and keep going. If necessary to make eye contact, I ignore the remark and smile or say, "Gee. Do you really think so?" I've just found that this is often an ill developed frontal lobe and a somehow aroused amygdala (emotions). I.e., I think the comments often have very little to do with us or our hats. If you reply caustically you will define the event for them as appropriately angry or suspicious. If you can somehow engage the rest of their brain (often limited in experience- sometimes neural material [huh] ) you at least have some chance of them learning something. Maybe I am lucky that we have a small campus and community or I'm so out of it I'm just ignored as the old coot. Who knows.

.... and he hits me with a logical and reasonable answer when I just wanted to whine .... :p :) ;)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Well. . . I was wrong!!!

Doran said:
.... and he hits me with a logical and reasonable answer when I just wanted to whine .... :p :) ;)

:eek:fftopic: Actually, I did get off topic- this thread is SUPPOSED to be about dumb comments!!!:eek:fftopic: So I'm the nutter and should probably apologize!!:eusa_doh:

Seriously, I love this thread and don't what to impose any reason into it!!

So here's a recent one- I was walking across campus with an Indy type fedora and a trench coat on (it was snowing like crazy!). I was in a great mood and not even in a hurry. Someone walking in the other direction muttered, "Tries to look like Bogey, looks more like Barney Fife". :rage: :rage: I'd have made an unwise snappy comeback to that one but was stunned at the guy even making that reference (what channel is he watching that is running Andy Griffith- apparently I am clueless!!)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Need another thread?

I'm too new but my rambling brain just remembered some of the dumpth I've uttered (documented back through at least age 5). Maybe we need a "Dumbest thing you ever uttered" connected to the Fedora thread. I could really contribute to that one! :eusa_doh:

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
We regularly watch Andy Griffith in the evenings. It's a nice relief from all the "stuff" going on nowadays. Kinda corny sometimes, but the early shows (B&W) sometimes had a fair amount of men in hats. Also fun to see what might have be debuts for actors of much later shows. And also people that really play the guitar.

Ralph

mtechthang said:
:eek:fftopic: Actually, I did get off topic- this thread is SUPPOSED to be about dumb comments!!!:eek:fftopic: So I'm the nutter and should probably apologize!!:eusa_doh:

Seriously, I love this thread and don't what to impose any reason into it!!

So here's a recent one- I was walking across campus with an Indy type fedora and a trench coat on (it was snowing like crazy!). I was in a great mood and not even in a hurry. Someone walking in the other direction muttered, "Tries to look like Bogey, looks more like Barney Fife". :rage: :rage: I'd have made an unwise snappy comeback to that one but was stunned at the guy even making that reference (what channel is he watching that is running Andy Griffith- apparently I am clueless!!)

Ok, what did you say in response? "Tries to look like Brad Pitt but looks more like Carrot Top?" :p

Lancealot

Practically Family
I have seen it all today. There was a man that came my store today wearing a fedora backwards. I didn't get a chance to speak with him but I couldn't tell if he knew or not. I was just floored if it had been a young kid I probably would have shrugged it off but I'd say he was in the 55-60 age bracket.

Josephine

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
I have seen it all today. There was a man that came my store today wearing a fedora backwards.

I wonder if something upset him so much he accidentally put it on backward, not knowing what he was doing (happened in an Agatha Christie novel :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld